HerdManager 30-May-17
Bourbonator 01-Jun-17
HerdManager 02-Jun-17
RC 02-Jun-17
Red Beastmaster 02-Jun-17
27-Feb-17

HerdManager's embedded Photo
HerdManager's embedded Photo
I was on vacation last week with my girlfriend down in Riviera Maya, Mexico. The resort had an "archery range", so we went and tried it out. 10-yard range. They had one bow. It was a Hoyt recurve, maybe 35-40 pounds. We shot some. Realized I've been shooting for 33 years and have never shot a recurve. It felt weird, just focusing on the target as opposed to a sight. One round I put 3 out of 4 arrows in the yellow (80 cm target), which I was pretty happy with.

27-Feb-17
Congrats Herd. You are hooked now. Wait till you kill your first deer with a stick bow. You will sell your wheel bow and never look back. I'm proud of you.. ^5

27-Feb-17
I am thinking about giving it a try. I get plenty of shots 10 yards or less, so I would think I could get good enough at close range to stick one.

27-Feb-17
Congrats Herd! Just curious..................................1st time shooting a Recurve? Had you ever shot any kind of stickbow before?

27-Feb-17
Herd, I know your are pretty much a perfectionist in the things you do, and that is fine. For the utmost accuracy from a stick bow, I'd suggest you check into an ILF bow. ILF is international limb fitting. That means all the manufactures making take down risers and limbs use a standard that every manufactures limbs will adapt to everyone else risers, etc. What that does is, you could use a set of 35 to 40 pound limbs for target practice and then use say a 50 pound set of limbs for hunting. Or hell, a 40 pound bow will kill any deer on the planet. ILF riser are also center shot and have an adapter hole to install a plunger button and a magnetic flipper rest can be installed along with the plunger button. ILF bows are about the most accurate stick bows produced.

Ya made my day Herd. Knowing how passionate you are for bow hunting, I was always hoping you would try out trad equipment some day. You will not regret doing so!

27-Feb-17
No stickbow of any kind. I kind of like holding the weight as opposed to having letoff.

27-Feb-17
No stickbow of any kind. ?

27-Feb-17
Thanks, RC. I never knew about ILF. How much would an average recurve set me back?

27-Feb-17
Got introduced to that in School, it was a fun class. However, I would not trade my Hoyt in for all the semi autos in Pa. :)..

Now RC, on the other hand.. I heard he wanted one of those new self cocking, bolt action thingy's...

27-Feb-17

RC's Link
You could spend 250 on up to 1,000. There are places that sell used bows. I'm not sure if there are any close to Cranberry. Best thing to do would be go to a place that sells new and used bows. They will let you shoot all the different bows you want. There is a trad shop about 10 miles from my place on route 136 just east of Madison, Pa. We could hook up and head over there someday..

27-Feb-17

RC's Link
There is another trad shop in Trafford about 10 miles from me, called Chise bows. He builds bows and I know him well. We could go there too, that's off the turnpike at the Monroeville exit.

27-Feb-17

RC's Link

27-Feb-17
Glad you enjoyed it HerdManager. I think you will be surprised with all the stickbow selections.

27-Feb-17
Way to go Herd!!! Now sell all your compounds and go all in!!!!

28-Feb-17
Welcome to the other side!

28-Feb-17
Thanks, RC. I'll give you a shout in a few weeks. I'd like to give myself enough time to practice before the season (it'll be here before you know it).

28-Feb-17
Sounds good.

28-Feb-17
That's interesting Herd! I'm surprised you never shot a stickbow as a kid. We shot those fiberglass longbows in gym class in school and then shot recurves in the scouts. I just assumed most kids had some exposure at some point in their lives.

28-Feb-17
I started shooting when I was 16, right when compounds were becoming big. My first bow was a VERY old borrowed compound with metal limbs. Soon after I bought a PSE Phaser 2 and it's been nothing but wheel bows ever since.

28-Feb-17
Post up when you two fellers are heading over to Trouts, if that's where you are heading. I was thinking the same thing, it would be nice to start shooting something more traditional but I don't want to spend a ton of $. Need to save that for the kids.... I'd like to harvest a deer with a stickbow one of these days.

28-Feb-17
Not to step on RC's toes , I am in Bakerstown and you are more than welcome to use one of my recurves or longbows till your trip out East with him. ( I have nine bows at Trouts, great shop) E mail me at stewplaster@ consolidated.net if interested.

28-Feb-17
Not a problem Stew. I thought you closed up shop.. Your place would be very close for Herd.

28-Feb-17
RC I am closed but no sense for idle bows not being used. I can't blame guy's not laying out money to try stick bows. I've loaned many some get hooked some don't. I agree Herd would trans to a recurve easier.

28-Feb-17
The ILF system is the way to go, if switching from compound. Many, many possible set-ups, for a relatively small sum of money. Congrats, HerdManager, on your new, and hopefully long lasting adventure!

01-Mar-17

ILF? Plungers? Magnetic flippers (whatever that is)?

Why complicate things when the core of traditional archery is its simplicity? It sounds like that's what got Herd excited in the first place.

You are right in suggesting Trouts. Shoot every bow he's got.

01-Mar-17
Red, I wouldn't expect a Maple City redneck to understand: )

01-Mar-17
And you would be right. :) Herd Manager, you should come to the next Strictly Sticks shoot in a couple weeks. You will definitely be hooked afterward!

01-Mar-17
Herd, come over to the dark side my friend.

02-Mar-17
Herd, if your going to get a longbow or recurve make sure you get one that's between 40 or 45 pound draw weight. Takes awhile to get your muscles used to shooting.

02-Mar-17
I shot a slingshot once.

(LOL)

Anyways ....nothing wrong with shooting what you like. I enjoyed this thread and the several responses . Truth be told I ALWAYs wonder,and am in wonderment, what accomplishment it would be to take the beautiful and amazing Pennsylvania Whitetail with a weapon that you would crafted yourself. I think words could not describe it.

02-Mar-17
Joe, the first few are most special indeed(not just deer), and then that level of challenge/reward almost becomes a fix or need, then, while still special, it leans toward grounding and humbling, and then further simmers down, concentrating the flavor while leaning more toward a matter of due course... just good, clean, honest bowhunting. At least that's how it's seemed to me, so far.

Herd, my advice is to just listen inwardly with intent and free yourself to follow your heart without any, ANY outside influence, and go wherever, whenever, however it leads... and then just be happy.

03-Mar-17
Chise will be over at Pitcairn Monroeville's 3-D shoot the last weekend of March.

11-Mar-17
Don't panic, Mike.

I think he's already over it:)

27-Mar-17
Thanks to Clark Stewart for loaning me a recurve, I was able to do some shooting this weekend. It definitely is different. For one, I am quite sore this morning (back). And I only shot about 20 shots. 10 yards. I'd say 90% of them were a dead deer, but every now and then I'd have a flyer. I'm not sure what the correct form is, so I'm kind of winging it. Going to try to get to Trout's this weekend and shoot some left-handed bows (borrowed bow is righty). Not sure which way will feel better.

27-Mar-17
Find out now which eye is dominant and chose the bow accordingly.

You can save yourself years of misery if you get it right the first time.

27-Mar-17
I am strong left-eye dominant, which is why after a lifetime of shooting right-handed, I switched 2 years ago and now shoot LH. I am still comfortable shooting RH, but I want to shoot a LH recurve and see how it feels.

27-Mar-17
It really doesn't matter (which eye is dominant) if you shoot instinctive, does it?

27-Mar-17
Yes it matters greatly!

Some have overcome it but usually it's a very big deal. Years of frustration and a ton of money can be saved if you get it right the first time.

27-Mar-17
I think it will feel better to shoot lefty, aiming-wise. My form is actually good both sides, but I prefer to aim with my left eye.

27-Mar-17
Rut-Butt.

You could have two dominant eyes and nothing would change..

28-Mar-17
Red- I thought if you are shooting truly instinctive that it doesn't matter since you are not aiming with a pin. Nothing to line up and focus on but the spot on the deer you are looking at. I don't know all the terminology, but that was my understanding.

I am left eye dominant and have shot compound for years that way. But I have shot a recurve and longbow both righty and lefty. Never noticed any difference as far as the eyes go. It did feel a little better shooting lefty due to the muscle memory of the arms/back.

28-Mar-17
Rut Nut

You are one of the lucky ones. As I said, it can be overcome. Sometimes. As I understand eye dominance can be in varying degrees, just like hand dominance.

I watched my good friend struggle for years. He was right handed but left eye dominant and didn't know it. Very bad shooting habits and form issues developed. Basically every other shot would be left or right by a foot and a half! We tried everything. He shot pure instinctive and did not reference the arrow, only looking at the spot he wanted to hit.

When he finally discovered his problem and got a cheap lefty recurve to try it was like Christmas morning! Sheer joy as every arrow went to the mark! Unfortunately his half dozen beautiful bows had to go, including a custom Hummingbird longbow and a very nice Super Kodiak. On the bright side, he did get to go shopping for new bows!

28-Mar-17
LOL! OK- thanks Red. I didn't know that was(could be) an issue with some shooters.

28-Mar-17
From: Red Beastmaster 28-Mar-17Private Reply Rut Nut You are one of the lucky ones. As I said, it can be overcome. Sometimes. As I understand eye dominance can be in varying degrees, just like hand dominance.

So red, which hand do you use to shoot the woodie?:)

28-Mar-17
:) i haint shaking your hand anymore bro.....

08-May-17
Went and picked up my bow Saturday at Trout Outdoors. It's a Samick Journey (riser) and Sage 40# limbs. I like it! Ken said if I want to move up to 45# limbs he'll exchange them at no cost, which is great.

First group of 4 arrow at 15 yards was so-so. The next group was quite good. The first 3 arrows were a 2" group, about 3" high in the bull. Ken looked at me sort of confused, and said, "You say you've never done this before?" Last arrow was about 4" right, but still would be a dead deer.

I'm looking forward to spending lots of time shooting the recurve and getting proficient enough to take a deer or two this fall. I like the simplicity.

08-May-17
Enjoy, it can become quite addicting.

09-May-17
Sounds good, Herd.

09-May-17
"First group of 4 arrow at 15 yards was so-so. The next group was quite good. The first 3 arrows were a 2" group, about 3" high in the bull. Ken looked at me sort of confused, and said, "You say you've never done this before?" Last arrow was about 4" right, but still would be a dead deer."

It goes downhill from here!

10-May-17
I'm thinking the 40# limbs with a Magnus Stinger broadhead will be more than enough to kill a deer. May not get a complete pass through, but should be fine.

10-May-17
Have fun Herd! SOunds like you got a good setup there.

10-May-17
Way to go Herd. Congrats on the Real bow!

11-May-17
40 # is plenty, Steve.

12-May-17
Lets go, Herd.. We are waiting on pictures and or videos of you shooting? :)

12-May-17
I should get to shoot this weekend. I'll post un-edited pics of my shooting.

27-May-17

HerdManager's MOBILE embedded Photo
HerdManager's MOBILE embedded Photo

Shooting my recurve for the first time. I'm pretty happy with the groups. Here's an average one.

27-May-17
That's 10 yards.

27-May-17
Not bad! Herd worry about the group first. That will tell you how consistant your form is. Keep it the same and get those groups tight- as your muscles get used to increases in draw weight throughout the draw cycle, this will aid also in better groups.. Simple anchor adjustments later can move your group to the bull. This is Just the way I do it......

As an after thought, i recommend starting out with maybe 15 or so shots as your back muscles get used to the type of no let off draw. Once you tire your groups will suffer.... Dont get frustrated

Dude have fun with this!

29-May-17
Not bad at all, Steve.

29-May-17
Oh my gosh! Now we're taking shooting advice from Dale?!!!!

30-May-17
Well Red.... I actually dont do any of that.... So it must work:)

30-May-17
LOL! Good shootin' herd!

30-May-17
The 40# limbs are easy to draw. I shot a lot and didn't get too worn out. It sure is a different feeling than using a compound. I know generally where the arrow is going, but not exactly. More than a few times, I would shoot one arrow, then hit that arrow with the next. Going to shoot at a 3D target from an elevated stand next time.

01-Jun-17
Sounds like your having fun Herd. Try not to stand in the same place and distance from your target every shot. Mix it up and don't think about yardage. I generally move from 10 to 30 yards and vary distances every shot.

02-Jun-17
I was just thinking about that. It's not like the range matters, since I have no sight. I bought some judo points so I can go stump shooting, also.

02-Jun-17
There ya go, Steve.. Stump shooting is fun and good practice.

02-Jun-17
Random shooting with a Judo will do more for your instinctive skills than any other form of practice. Just look at the spot you want to hit and nothing else. Get ready to be surprised.

It's amazing what your brain and body can do if you let them.

• Sitka Gear