Pasquinell 04-Mar-17
Mindbender 05-Mar-17
Drop Tine 05-Mar-17
Konk1 06-Mar-17
Buck Watcher 06-Mar-17
MF 10-Apr-17
Bloodtrail 10-Apr-17
01-Mar-17
Looking to subscribe to a hunting magazine and looking for recommendations. Would prefer a Wisconsin based magazine or any bow hunting magazine you like.

02-Mar-17
Wisconsin outdoor news.

02-Mar-17
WON definitely is one of the few publications available. That said, the content is highly biased toward the editors point of view, without equal coverage of other perspectives. Not a stretch to call it "fake news."

02-Mar-17

MF's Link
I am kind of partial to "On Wisconsin Outdoors" being I write for it. My latest story is on page 24 of this issue. www.onwisconsinoutdoors.com

02-Mar-17
Mike - I tried to see your article on page 24,... The link to the mag only went to page 18 and then I could not get the web address to work. Can you offer another suggestion, is there a way to fix this? Would like to read your article.

02-Mar-17
Nice article Mike.

Case-you might have to wait a bit for all the pages to download.

02-Mar-17

MF's Link
Try this, Click on the latest issue and like Tweed said wait for it to download. Thanks Tweed, Enjoy writing and sharing my outdoor adventures.

02-Mar-17
Thanks for the tips guys. Another example of how we can learn from each other.

I did read the article. As Tweed said, nice article. Who would have ever thought wolves would be taking on bears like that? More evidence that something really needs to be done to reduce the wolf population - well intentioned and presented article.

02-Mar-17

CaptMike's embedded Photo
CaptMike's embedded Photo
This is all that was left of a bear my daughter shot last year. Being that it was shot late in the evening and with us believing it was wounded and went into a very boggy area, we chose to recover it the next morning. The site was gruesome, with entrails, hair and one bits being scattered in multiple directions. Looked like a half dozen or so wolves.

02-Mar-17
CaptMike, Thanks for sharing your daughters story and the picture. Its important and I wish more hunters would take pictures and document instances as this. You never know when a picture as this could be useful. You sure can tell the difference between a coyote kill and a wolf kill, those wolves hardly leave anything behind.

02-Mar-17
MF- Nice article. I will have to start documenting wolf encounters. Very interesting.

02-Mar-17
Woods he wanted a WI. based mag. WON's content is 90% WI. and is relevant to the time of year. You might not like Durkin or Bortz but there are a ton of other writers that contribute to it. Just like here I pick and choose what I read. Many of the other WI. publications are are published out of state. What good would Eastmans do for a east of the Mississippi hunter?

02-Mar-17
Sorry to have missed that. I just got done working a 36+ hour stretch in 3 days and not as sharp as normal when I replied. (Rolling eyes)

02-Mar-17
I've subscribed to "Bowhunter" magazine for close to 30 years. I find the balance between hunting, equipment, techniques, and political issues very good. With the difficulty for magazines to be viable in this digital world, it seems that the full page advertising has increased in recent years. However all the individuals on the masthead are top notch in my opinion. They all are professional and passionate about bowhunting. I have read every issue cover to cover and enjoy every issue.

02-Mar-17
Good article MF! Capt Mike - I have seen pictures like that time and time again from wolves that have devoured bears. I really feel for what your daughter went through. We immediately get on the blood trail of the bear asap unless it's a questionable hit. It's been less than a 1/2 hour after the hunter shot his bear that we've kicked a wolf off the kill. My friend sent me a trail cam picture from his place of a wolf with a partial bear leg in his mouth. This was in a couple years in February. I believe it's becoming a common hunting practice for wolves killing denned bears. I've had a hunters tell me they've seen a wolf sneak up on cubs at a bait site and others saw wolves run the sow off after she treed here cubs. This is becoming way too common with our exploding wolf population. We need a wolf season starting this year.

02-Mar-17
MF - Good read!

02-Mar-17

02-Mar-17
Great article your wrote MF. I wonder what will happen with this years wolf hunt? I'm starting to think it's gonna be another year of nothing..

02-Mar-17
Have to laugh. The difference of opinions are great. So for my opinion I would say any magazine that doesn't have an article by Durkin. Once again my own personal thoughts.

02-Mar-17
albino +1

02-Mar-17
I decided to try '' deer and deer hunting'' read a lot of reviews on other sites and sounds promising.

03-Mar-17
Western hunter and elk hunter magazine. I know it's not Wisconsin based, but it has some great tips on bow tuning, arrow building, gear reviews etc, that all of us can apply to our bowhunting here at home.

WON is an alright publication, but I swear the same articles are in there every year.

03-Mar-17
I choose none of the Wisconsin mags, I like Peterson's Bowhunting magazine. None of the Wisconsin magazines are strictly hunting as far as I know.

03-Mar-17
Spot on, Mike.

03-Mar-17
WON sucks, pretty much a liberal rag. Deer and Deer hunting has went downhill but is still pretty decent. Bowhunter is the best of the best, and with Curt Wells as editor will stay that way for a long time.

03-Mar-17
Any suggestions for a well rounded outdoors magazine? Hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, hiking and canoeing.

03-Mar-17
Always loved Fur Fish Game. Had subscription since the early 70's. They have articles about all outdoors.

04-Mar-17

Willert88's Link
Tweed this is the site I ordered my subscription from. Might help you narrow your search.

04-Mar-17
I had several magazines coming for a while. Now only 2.

Deer & Deer Hunting. Badger Sportsman.

04-Mar-17
Fur Fish & Game

04-Mar-17
I checked out FFG and really seems like a great magazine.

Thanks for the suggestion!

04-Mar-17
I think you will enjoy FFG. Not a lot of over the top stuff but interesting reads. It's nice becuse not many publications talk about the fur trapping but these guys will. They talk about the old times too which always facinates me. As some have talked about on another thread, we live in the whatever is the easiest times and these guys got things done without ease.

05-Mar-17
Outdoor life n sports afield!!

05-Mar-17
The Backwoodsman has some neat projects in it.

06-Mar-17
"Any suggestions for a well rounded outdoors magazine? Hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, hiking and canoeing."

Outdoor Life and Field & Stream are to mags that come to mind that fit the bill.

06-Mar-17
I got a deal for OL & F&S at $8 each. Waste of $16. Mostly adds and lucky if it had 1 article I was interested it.

10-Apr-17

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo
This picture is from Douglas County. Kind of coincides with my story I just wrote in On Wisconsin Outdoors.

10-Apr-17
Buck Watcher - Counld NOT agree more with you - garbage!!

Love FFG!!!

Again NICE article MF - Outstanding - Anyone that hasn't read it - look for the article! MF very skilled writer!

• Sitka Gear