crestedbutte 03-Mar-17
keepemsharp 03-Mar-17
Habitat1 03-Mar-17
Ben 03-Mar-17
keepemsharp 04-Mar-17
BoHo48 07-Mar-17
turkulese 07-Mar-17
03-Mar-17
Anyone here have any luck growing chestnuts? Have some that have been in the ground for about 4 years, all have survived but very little growth. They are watered all summer long and in the sun as recommended. About half of them keep their leaves all winter, is this normal?

03-Mar-17

crestedbutte's Link
Do you also fertilize and or provide Nitrogen to the trees at least 2 times/year? See link provided

03-Mar-17
Thanks Jason I will look into that, I know an old county agent that might help.

03-Mar-17
Check out deerhunterforum.com there is a guy that probably grows more chestnuts than anyone in the country.he will also seed you seeds if you want to grow them

03-Mar-17
Dave, That old county agent has been thinking so hard the last few years his hair all fell out just to cool his brain down! LOL

04-Mar-17
Ben: I also understand that the effort has caused some toe loss.

07-Mar-17
I have a chestnut tree that is about 12 to 14 feet tall I started about 18 years ago. I live in Agra Kansas North of Hays 60 miles or so. My Dad had started 6 0r 7 from tree's in Trenton Nebr. The two tree's there were brought back from Washington or Oregon right after WW 11. When my Dad passed away these were 7 or 8 inches tall. These were in McCook Nebr. Only one made it. The first flowers it had was 2 years ago and four chestnuts this last year it had 9 chestnuts. It grew fairly slow until about 5 years ago when it really took off. I have a cousin who is a fishery biologist and he told my Dad to water the heck out of them. ( Don't ask me why a fishery biologist should know about trees) I did water the heck out of it and piled snow on it if I had the opportunity. My Uncle who lived next door to the tree's said the University of Nebraska use to come out and study them. They said they weren't suppose to grow in this country. They are a pretty tree. Haven't had any luck getting the nuts to start.

07-Mar-17
I've planted a few... slow growth as well. Fertilize only once a year though.

• Sitka Gear