Tweed 23-Mar-17
Mindbender 23-Mar-17
Mindbender 23-Mar-17
Jeff in MN 24-Mar-17
Tweed 24-Mar-17
Jeff in MN 24-Mar-17
06-Mar-17
Maybe Wisconsin will be next!

MISSOULA, Mont. — The Washington D.C. Court of Appeals issued a ruling Friday in favor of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the state of Wyoming, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and others regarding the delisting of wolves from the endangered species list in Wyoming.

“It’s great news. It’s especially great news for the state of Wyoming,” said David Allen, RMEF president and CEO. “States should have the ability to manage all wildlife within their borders. This is a great day for the fundamental issue of state-based management of wildlife.”

Opponents challenged the 2012 FWS determination that wolves are no longer endangered in Wyoming based on three main arguments: Insufficient genetic connectivity, wolves have not inhabited a significant portion of their former range and Wyoming’s wolf management plan was not a sufficient “regulatory mechanism” to protect wolves.

A D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a district court ruling that put wolves back on the list.

The appeals court ruled Wyoming’s management plan will maintain the minimum number of wolves within the state.

This effectively means Wyoming wolves should be delisted.

06-Mar-17
If they in fact are delisted its my understanding that Wyoming management plan calls for a certain number of wolfs to be in the Yellowstone eco-system and zero in the rest of the state! Which puts them in the varmints category. Shoot and trap at your discretion, no limit, no season. Theres a managment plan for wisconsin to adopt.

Example: A wolf breeding quota north of Hwy 2 and no quota, no limit, 365 season south of Hwy 2.

06-Mar-17

Buckwacka's embedded Photo
Flag River Rd. wolf tracks.
Buckwacka's embedded Photo
Flag River Rd. wolf tracks.
I say a statewide eradication of all of them!! We are now facing the same problems our forefathers faced by having these killing machines around. If we ever have a normal winter with deep snow, and the deer yard up, the herd won't stand a chance up here North of Hwy. 2. The picture is between the Flag rivers south of Port Wing, taken two weeks ago. They are all wolf tracks!

06-Mar-17
Wow! That is freaking insane. I hope something is done.

06-Mar-17
I don't mind wolves on the landscape but I feel the same as most others in this state that they need to be managed.

07-Mar-17
Buckwacka - I'd bet wolf monitor Rod Coronado wouldn't see a wolf track on that road.

07-Mar-17
Your right Hoot........must be a pack of sled dogs? Maybe from the Iditarod! LOL!

07-Mar-17
Buckwacka - I was going to wolf trap that area a few years ago, but decided against it. One thing I noticed where there weren't deer tracks there weren't many wolf tracks. My how things have changed since then. With that sign you'd have a wolf easily in a day if not sooner.

07-Mar-17
The last year there was a season I had some traps south of Hwy 2, guess I should have put some farther north. Then again it is way easier to see sign in the winter.

07-Mar-17
Wolves in Wisconsin have been mismanaged.

07-Mar-17
Wolfs / Bears. DNR. Should. Have when you buy your deer licenses. You pay a extra hundred. Which entitles. You to a Wolf or Bear.

08-Mar-17
I read the article on yahoo news when it first came out. The comments from the libs/Peta groups were very funny. I agree with tweed. I don't mind a few wolves on the landscape but when the numbers are so high they can decimate a local deer population something needs to be done.

08-Mar-17
Buckwacka-Very disheartening since I also hunt the area and have seen it crash and then come back ever slightly recently. The Flag River pack has a notorious history of killing hunting dogs in northern Bayfield and judging by all the tracks the pack has gotten bigger and they have their attention on a few more deer around this year. Do you have the Facebook link that you could post of the video of the large wolf pack coming down a trail in this area?

I don't mind wolves on the landscape, like others have stated. However, when the goal (300ish wolves) was exceeded by a factor of 4, 5 or more, nature's balance becomes ugly and everyone loses.

08-Mar-17
How much truth is there to the only natural predator of the wolf is the bear? Will we get to a point where the bear population will keep the wolf population in check?

08-Mar-17
It's kinda like Islam. The larger the population gets even the bear will lose.

08-Mar-17

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Regglezpop - How much truth is there to the only natural predator of the wolf is the bear? My opinion is vice-versa - the wolf would be a natural predator of the bear. Wolf with bear paw 1/29/2012

08-Mar-17
I've heard that in some areas where deer are scarce they're already eating Bears . Don't know if it's true or not .

08-Mar-17
I've heard that in some areas where deer are scarce they're already eating Bears . Don't know if it's true or not .

MF wrote on article not sure which newspaper. He sure does see the effect. I'll take his experience for it.

08-Mar-17

Jeff in MN's Link
On Wisconsin is the magazine Mike writes for. The link is the issue with Mikes article about bears and wolfs on page 24.

08-Mar-17

Mindbender's embedded Photo
Mindbender's embedded Photo
Old trooper. Every wolfs nightmare!

08-Mar-17
I know of a couple of farmers that have Great Pyrenees and I believe one has a Kangal to protect their livestock. Wolf killing machines.

09-Mar-17
Reggiezpop "How much truth is there to the only natural predator of the wolf is the bear? Will we get to a point where the bear population will keep the wolf population in check? There has been instances and stories described by deer hunters that hunt over corn where the wolves have figured out that these corn bait piles attract deer and will themselves hunt and wait in ambush for the deer to come near, this is also true at some bear bait stations. I have posted and talked about one such bear bait station that I have. I will not place a lone hunter on this bait station unless accompanied by another. We have had to many wolf instances that would make the most experienced and brave hunter walking out of that stand during broad daylight or well before shooting hours are to end. One such incident happened a few years ago, when the hunter was on stand and there were wolves all around his stand, visually he seen them and spotted one looking at him behind the bait, he said they howled some but mostly short barked like a dog would. As day turned to evening things calmed down some, as he thought. The wind died down and he could hear what he described as "thought it was a human walking". The sound was louder as it neared his tree stand, he looked to his right and it was a bear, but the bear was walking stiff legged and was purposely stomping to make noise with each step it took. The bear got to about 20 yards away from the bear bait when a wolf sounded off and barked, the wolves were still near. The bear immediately turned and tip toes away never making a sound as he exited the same way he came in. It is my understanding that, that mature bear purposely made noise to check and see if any wolf danger was still present. I give bears great respect, they are well known to be problem solvers and have personally witnessed much. Wolves will and can take down smaller and even medium size bears with ease, the only defense bears have is the ability to climb trees. I myself when I bait this bait station now carry a cruzer shot gun with me and am always relieved when I walk out after baiting it lol.

09-Mar-17
I read up on the Kangal. Pretty impressive dog!

09-Mar-17
Mike did the hunter leave the stand on his own after dark or did you have to go in a get him? I'm pretty brazen when it comes to being in the woods but I think you would of been coming to get me if I was bow hunting. LOL

Most times now while bear hunting I'm carrying my Springfield.40 with the 16+1 mag in it.

09-Mar-17
Thanks for all the info guys. I had read stories about sows killing wolf pups, so I assumed the bear was the formidable predator. I also read some stories about sows killing other bear cubs, so now I'm really confused!!!

09-Mar-17
Good job on the story Mike!

09-Mar-17
Drop Tine..... The story above there were two people. They still came out just before shooting time was up, they both were spooked.

09-Mar-17
MF - not trying to tell you how to do your job but why don't you just quit that particular bait?

09-Mar-17
Tweed....I have often thought about that and even moved it 100 yards hoping it would change. We don't just put anyone on that stand, they are hand picked and are told about that particular spot and that they would need someone else to sit with them, most of the time its a camera man. Its on public land in a very remote area. I have baited it for 16 years. The other guides in the area know its me down in there so out of respect they stay out. If I were to abandon it someone else would take my place. We have shot some great bears in there including 3 400lbers and numerous 300lbers. Its one of our 200% stands. 100% guaranteed success and the other 100% is pure adrenaline adventure. Believe me if I thought it was truly to dangerous I wouldn't chance it. Safety is number one and has always been a high priority of mine when it comes to the hunters.

09-Mar-17
MuskyBuck - They are a really intimidating dog. I've seen videos of them protecting flocks and the outcome was not pretty for the wolf. Wish it was mandatory for everyone in the northwoods to own one. lol

09-Mar-17
Hoot... I PM you twice!

10-Mar-17
I guess I wouldn't worry much if I was carrying. Shoot the damn things if you get the chance. If they are getting that close, they are thinking one thing.

22-Mar-17
A headline in the Hayward paper: A Waukesha man, 39-year-old Collin K. Rankin, was fined $2,022.50 after pleading guilty in Sawyer County Court March 7 to selling an endangered animal on Nov. 20, 2016.

That is all I know, I don't subscribe to their online paper so all I can see is the teaser. Holey cow it is expensive to sell an endangerd species, especially if he took it legally.

22-Mar-17
Probably didn't have a cites tag for the export and or sale of the pelt.

22-Mar-17
Also got a $200 fine for damaging natural resources.

23-Mar-17

Cheesehead Mike's Link
We need some of this in Wisconsin!

23-Mar-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Goodness...

23-Mar-17
Tweed where u getting all the wolves, darn you hit a honey hole.

23-Mar-17
Tweed where u getting all the wolves, darn you hit a honey hole.

24-Mar-17
I wish those were Wisconsin wolfs.

24-Mar-17
According to the thread they were all caught on only a 5 acre section and using snares. AMAZING!

24-Mar-17
I bet it is not unusual to snare multiple wolfs if you set them in a small area where there is a pack. One gets snared and the rest go nuts wondering what happened to one of their pack.

• Sitka Gear