Winter update
Montana
Contributors to this thread:
jdan 06-Mar-17
JMG 06-Mar-17
SBH 06-Mar-17
Bigdan 07-Mar-17
06-Mar-17
Has there been any significant winter kill? Colorado and Wyoming have supposedly been hit hard and the deer loss will be great!!

06-Mar-17
I have not heard any reports of above normal winter kill here in Montana. The majority of those storms streaming across the US came through Wyoming and upper Colorado. Montana, more specifically, the Billings area did get one good blast this past winter. Here in Billings, we got 20 inches in one storm and then a couple of smaller storms. That kept snow cover on the ground for quite some time, but it mostly gone now. I thing Winter Kill primarily occurs now after the animals have endured the winter and are running on their last fat reserves. The State is asking antler hunters to wait and not harass or push the animals, until the weather turns for the better.

06-Mar-17
Been getting the elk fly over reports and numbers on elk are good. Not an issue this year in SW MT anyways. I know WYO is gonna be in bad shape. Lots of dead heads to be found in a few weeks when they open shed hunting........

07-Mar-17
Here in North western Montana we still have lots of snow I have found two dead Whitetails less than 30 yds from my House. My brother was over in the breaks a week ago and there is no snow left on the flats Just some left in the Little Rockys

• Sitka Gear