Muzzy100 09-Mar-17
moch 09-Mar-17
smarba 09-Mar-17
ohiohunter 09-Mar-17
smarba 10-Mar-17
ohiohunter 10-Mar-17
smarba 10-Mar-17
09-Mar-17
Was in 15 last year with great success and really got to know the area so looking to put in for 16e (elk) this year. Access and camp locations are the questions. 15 had a lot of open travel routes but, from what i'm seeing on maps 16e doesn't look quite as friendly. Not worried about humping in (foot travel) but, basic starting points would be helpful..

09-Mar-17
Very little access in 16E, most of the good elk country is on private property. Large portion of 16E is wide open spaces. Can be Good or can be very bad. its always a Toss up. be prepared to do a lot of walking across empty land to get to a small portion of what may or may not be good.

09-Mar-17
Plus public land on east side of 16E is all state land with no camping, so you need to deal with bumpy long quad/truck ride in/out every day.

09-Mar-17
I know you can't recreationally camp on state, but I thought it was ok if you had a tag?

Edit: Found my answer: You may camp with the permission of the agricultural lessee, unless otherwise authorized by the commissioner of the public lands.

10-Mar-17
ohio - translation: if you're an outfitter that pays a fee to the State or to the agricultural lessee you can put up wall tent camp and get the jump on regular Joe's. At least that's my understanding.

10-Mar-17
Corruption? NOOOO...

Most likely you're right, but I've also never explored the option. Worth a shot IMO

10-Mar-17
Ohio: Let me rephrase. I heard from a guide who worked for the outfitter, that outfitter pays big $ for permit to camp there. Cost effective for a dozen or more clients, but too much $ for a DIY guy to pay for a single hunt. I believe it was for permit thru State, but not 100% certain.

• Sitka Gear