Mindbender 12-Mar-17
Mindbender 12-Mar-17
Reggiezpop 12-Mar-17
Tweed 12-Mar-17
10BUCKS 12-Mar-17
Monarch 16-Mar-17
Mindbender 16-Mar-17
09-Mar-17
Does anybody else find situations where you're out scouting and find a few awesome beds, then realize there is no possible way to hunt them? I've found a couple beds on the edge of timber and tall field grass that look great. They are around fallen timber, lots of bigger droppings in or near the beds and a bunch of rubs all around. It seems like these deer bed with a predominant west or SW wind at their backs so they can smell trouble, while facing north and east to be able to see trouble. I put myself in their shoes, and I'm starting to realize how truly smart these mature deer truly are.

09-Mar-17
"Does anybody else find situations where you're out scouting and find a few awesome beds, then realize there is no possible way to hunt them?"

No....but I understand why you have such difficulty hunting them after reading your posts.

09-Mar-17
Welcome back, Captain Worthless...

09-Mar-17
Hey Reggie.... Theres always a way in. You have to find it. If theyre on a field edge. They best way to approach the bed would be to parallel the field edge and get as close as you can. Sounds like you found yourself a good one. Trial and error. Remember this. The master has failed more than the beginner has tried.

09-Mar-17

Nocturnal's embedded Photo
Nocturnal's embedded Photo
Just a rough sketch of what I mean.

09-Mar-17

FIP's embedded Photo
FIP's embedded Photo
If you get a chance zpop make sure you hit where your aiming. Because if you cant hit where you are aiming it won't matter if you can sneak up on them or not. Just Saying.

09-Mar-17
Old trick. If your know for sure. It's He old. Masters bedding. Grounds. Get in. To the area very early set up. With the wind in your favor. And when he comes back from a night out or Grazing. Bingo. You've used. His bedding grounds to your advantage. And tip 2. Shoot straight n bring a rope you will be dragging out ol mossyhorns!!!!!??

10-Mar-17
If you can't sneek in to shoot him can you bump him to someone else? Or maybe have someone else bump him to you? Or use a slingshot to send a bunch of stones his way to get him to move.

10-Mar-17
Get home before he does and be waiting when he goes to bed.

I'm assuming you're walking in from the south?

10-Mar-17
Most bucks are bedding well before daylight. Also, there is a good chance the deer would be in the field while he gets in to set up. This is a evening sit unless he plans to save this for a rut type of hunt. Force movement is a low odd success rate. Unless he soft bumped him out of his bed in hopes for the deer to circle back to the same bed later on. Bed hunting is best done in the evenings unless you are hunting hill country. Bucks tend to bed later as the follow the thermal rise in the mornings.

10-Mar-17
I agree that most bucks are bedding well before daylight and I would make it point to get in before he does.

10-Mar-17
Another ask a question and then state the obvious thread. Use all the deep under cover handles to propagate:^) The Craptree clan can only kill with a gun as 15 plus years of history has proven. Then after 8 years stupid luck kicks in and puts them in a position to kill and they wound.

Its called paraneoplastic syndrome. The entire craptree clan has it.

Signs and symptoms of paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous system usually develop relatively quickly

Difficulty walking

Difficulty maintaining balance

Loss of muscle coordination

Loss of muscle tone or weakness

Loss of fine motor skills, such as picking up objects

Difficulty swallowing

Slurred speech

Memory loss and other thinking (cognitive) impairment

Vision problems

Sleep disturbances

Seizures

Sensory disturbances

Unusual involuntary movements

Loss of control of bowel and urinary functions....fills pants

10-Mar-17
How does a legitimate question get derailed so quickly by some of you. Can you people stick to the question without bashing others.

Reggie--play the wind, wait till the time is right. You might even wana set up 100 yards away and bring binos to see exactly what he's doing and then re-set up another day. Basically your first few sits may be recon, then move in and get em. Good luck!

10-Mar-17
Number 1 ......Good luck finding the bedding area Ron..but I doubt you have the skill even in farm country.......were they have limited areas to bed.

Number 2....If you get a chance I know you will just lame the thing anyway.....so don't even try....wait until gun season that is when you do best....less skills needed.

10-Mar-17
It has never been illegal to sit in a stand all night long. Some people created an old wives tale about overzealous wardens issuing citations to hunters mere seconds after closing.

10-Mar-17
Thanks for all the useful comments. I'll try to do some recon and keep an eye on these beds.

10-Mar-17

10-Mar-17
I would stick to hunting this deer in the evening. I've noticed bucks tend to do a "j hook" into their bed to scent check it

10-Mar-17

10-Mar-17
Ron et al is worse than FIP. Lots of voices in his head

11-Mar-17
The trouble with getting in very early is what do you do when that buck comes in and it's still an hour before first light? He then lays down behind a bush 30 yds away giving you no shot when it does get light even though he's in range. You're setting yourself up for disappointment in that scenario.

My suggestion is definitely hunt the evening. Only don't climb a tree, sneak in and get as close as you dare. TAKE YOUR TIME getting in. Crawl if you have to. You should be able to sneak to within 30 yds of him if you take your time. Move one yrd at a time if you have to. Tuck yourself up against a tree within range of where he is bedding, wait for him to get up and he's yours! In your scenario, climbing a tree will probably get you busted.

11-Mar-17
No, woods. You are wrong. There never was anything a warden could cite a hunter for in your scenario.

11-Mar-17
Boy am I sorry I suggested going in early....

11-Mar-17
Nothing wrong with going in early. It's a good approach in certain scenarios. Woods apparently drank the koolaid and bought into the fantasy that people are being cited constantly by wardens for no reason. It's not true.

11-Mar-17
I have found its better to just leave those areas alone. If you bump those deer it could take days for them to come back. Slip into the woods early morning and setup on a heavy trail during prerut.

11-Mar-17
Best scenario launch a smoke or flash Fernandez . Into the area. You have a 25% chance he runs out in your direction. Be ready to shoot!

11-Mar-17
I would stay back about 75 yards. Have a scope with illuminated reticles, when he walks out at dark, aim the crossbow and pull the trigger. He will be doomed.

11-Mar-17
"I would stay back about 75 yards. Have a scope with illuminated reticles, when he walks out at dark, aim the crossbow and pull the trigger. He will be doomed."

Just because you self admittedly would consider violating doesn't mean others would. In fact I'm guessing those types of thoughts don't even cross the minds of the majority of hunters which are law-abiding citizens.

11-Mar-17
Woodsdweller, you really should disguise your writing style more. Your inner RC is coming out.

12-Mar-17
It's becoming clear some people just don't like each other on here . I think you guy's should just meet somewhere and get it on . Then have a beer together . Keep the BS off the forum . Try to act like an adult . I know it won't change though . So carry on .

12-Mar-17
Old reggiezpop. As much as I like to see new hunters in the sport. , have you ever considered golf or paintball. Maybe the live Deer Aging. Deer research project for the Dnr. Or. Sign up for. The spring Black bear. Casteration research project. Very interesting. Etc might be easier to fiqure out

12-Mar-17
So now we've come full circle and I'm getting bashed again? I can't win! Ha ha ha ha!

12-Mar-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Pretty sure this is mindbender

12-Mar-17
Tweed running his mouth!

12-Mar-17

Mindbender's embedded Photo
Mindbender's embedded Photo
Tweed running his mouth!

12-Mar-17
You still running around Polk County, Mindbender?

12-Mar-17
Jeez Mindbender... Why is it you keep posting pics of an old man's butt? Fetish?

12-Mar-17
That's funny shi- FIP

16-Mar-17
I have a similar area but I know its a doe bedding area. This winter I went in and found that the does are bedding in this GENERAL area, but about 80 yds from where I initially thought, and it now offers a better way to get in. Also, I only hunt this area when the I feel the rut is hitting and get in early and know the bucks will come scent checking. The winter scouting has helped tremendously.

16-Mar-17
With all the advice. He should be yours on the opener ! Good luck! Grasshopper!

• Sitka Gear