Reggiezpop 15-Mar-17
Two Feathers 16-Mar-17
Tweed 16-Mar-17
Nocturnal 16-Mar-17
Bloodtrail 16-Mar-17
Two Feathers 17-Mar-17
13-Mar-17

Two Feathers's Link
I'm sitting here watching the tube, eating lunch and I watch the linked video. All these hunts are deer drives.

In my book there are 2 ways to get a deer. 1. You let the deer come to you and 2. You go to the deer. I haven't done a drive with the good group of bowhunters or gun hunters in a long time.

I've been thinking about this archery deer drive for a while. It involves bow hunters and bowsiters. The more, the more fun. I'm thinking a Saturday in the Milwaukee Metro Zone in January, Public Land. Start after the deer bed down. Maybe get in 3 or 4 drives and try not to have to drive a lot of miles to pull it off. I have yet to experience a bad archery deer drive, they have been fun and productive.

Anyone other than me want to do an archery deer drive?

13-Mar-17
Let's do it! I'd be up for it especially during the October lull. Maybe even flush some small game or birds.

13-Mar-17
We did it for years in badger, killed some great deer

14-Mar-17
And that is why I don't gun hunt. Lots of terrible shooting at running animals.

14-Mar-17
"Sneak and creep" can be fun. The kind of drives shown in the video aren't my kind of thing. I don't think it'd work very well for bow hunting. I wouldn't want to participate with a gun either.

Be safe. Have fun.

14-Mar-17
Tweed - One of the benefits of an October hunt is that the whole state is available, we're not restricted to the Metro Zone like we are in January.

15-Mar-17
Two Feathers it is fun. Used to do it years ago. There use to be a bunch out of Wittenberg that use to do it every weekend.

15-Mar-17
Count me in.

16-Mar-17
Tweed - My thoughts on a January hunt were that we would have the woods to ourselves, the deer will be bunched up, visibility is good, no standing crops to content with and most swamps are frozen.

I'm familiar with the Cedarburg Bog. A group of guys could spend the whole day there pushing deer but it is nasty thick. That place will be too wet for me for an October drive. I got a pm from a gentleman who said he's in and he knew some places to drive. Not sure if that was for Oct or Jan or public or private. I can see where parking could be an issue in the Metro Zone.

Reggiezpop. It will be fun, especially when the deer get on their feet and start moving.

16-Mar-17
Organize it and I'll do what I can to make myself available. An archery drive sounds like a great time!

16-Mar-17
I'd be willing to get out with you guys. For me, late season would be better. I'll bring the camera gear and push some beds with you guys. Than I could post the video for everyone here to watch.

I've noticed when pushing deer that a deer will only run two ways, upwind or downwind. RARELY do I ever see deer run away into a crosswind. Maybe a map in the future to the guys wanting to do this and we can strategize?

16-Mar-17
Hope you fellas have a safe enjoyable hunt!!

BT

17-Mar-17
Nocturnal - I like that camera idea. I also agree with you on the wind and we have to use it to our advantage if that is possible. They also like to try and sneak back behind the drivers. I printed off some maps yesterday of Ozaukee county public lands. I haven't heard back yet from my friend about the drives he had in mind. I don't see a problem of making a day of it and I don't see us interfering with other bow hunters.

• Sitka Gear