MassBucks 14-Mar-17
massbay 14-Mar-17
Bloodtrail 14-Mar-17
fisherick 14-Mar-17
Will 15-Mar-17
Beekeeper 15-Mar-17
Tazman 15-Mar-17
13-Mar-17
Has anyone ever given an over the counter tag in CO a shot? If so, what was your experience? For those that flew, any advice on how you handled the logistics/transport. Any advise or lessons learned? Thanks!

13-Mar-17
I never tried OTC but I buy points. I hunted CO in 2015 for mule deer, not elk. If you plan on hunting out west, start building points. Even if you want to get an OTC tag this year, buy a point too. It's worth it. This year I drew a Wyoming tag in a great unit.

When I fly I try to keep it down to two bags. Sometimes I ship gear or trophies home. Not much more than paying for extra bags and it's a lot easier. Consider donating the bulk of the meat and only takes the backstraps and tender loins home. It will cost you an arm and leg to ship it all. Bring a dry bag and carry it in your luggage. Good luck and keep us posted.

14-Mar-17
massbay you should PM "fisherick". I went out to CO with him a few years back. He and another friend have it down to a science, and I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a few pointers

14-Mar-17
Thanks bc and massbucks. I appreciate the pointers.

14-Mar-17
I've done MT twice and flew out and back both times. Logistics are to pack your bow case with all your hunting clothes/gear and bow - keep it under 50lbs. Pack one other bag with everything else. Then pack your backpack full and carry it on. Find someone that works for FedEx or has a business and has a business account with FedEx.....they have better shipping rates. If you kill an elk you have to get it processed and frozen....or you can do that yourself. Go to Home Depot and buy some boxes, hard foam insulation and duct tape. Pack the meat in the boxes. Use the insulation to go over the box and duct tape it together. Then ship it. I shipped 200lbs of meat back and it was only a couple hundred to ship. Your other option is to put it in coolers and check it in.....but it costs a fortune to do it that way with extra bags fees. Same with antlers or cape. You have to ship them back.

I rented a truck both times while I was out there. You can find some pretty good deals online if you search. You can either hunt from it and a tent each day or break it up with a cheap hotel. It's not that easy to fly and do a DIY because you need a lot of gear to handle your camp and a dead elk. It can also get costly if you kill one....but enjoy the ride!

14-Mar-17
I have done several fly in trips for bow hunting elk in Colorado in last few years with friends. We fly Southwest air (2 free bags) out of Logan to Denver non stop both ways. We each take our backpacks as a carry on, a personal gear duffle, one double bow case with bows, clothes and gear, and a 60qt rolling cooler containing camping gear such as 5-man tent, BP tent, tarps, propane 1 burner stove, propane lantern, pots, pans, dishes, utensils, etc. Just stay under 50# and 62" per bag for free. Yes you can have a comfortable minimal camp. We rent a SUV at the airport (caution, SUV no longer means an AWD vehicle), drive west to the last bigger town, food and supplies shop and stay at a motel. Next morning get breakfast and gas and drive to end of National forest road to set up a base camp. You may even be able to scout/ hunt that afternoon. We usually plan on 12 night/13 day trip and are able to hunt 9 days. On last day we plan to break camp and stay at motel and sightsee the next day and get a motel by the airport before leaving next morning. Utilize motel/car rental airport shuttles. When we harvest an elk/deer, we have it processed at the butcher shop and pack frozen meat into coolers, or waxed cardboard boxes, rubber maid containers, etc. and take meat home as checked baggage. Remember SWA allows 2 free 50# checked bags per person. The rest of our gear/bows are shipped home UPS 5 day ground. ( $50-$80 ) With two of us we can easily take home meat from a bull elk ( 200-240# meat) by checked baggage and carry on bags. We usually hunt from a base camp, but can move this small camp if needed, or bring gear to bivy/spike camp to find elk. Be flexible and have several back up plans. The elk are where you find them. P.M. me if you need more details

15-Mar-17
Didnt Taz do that last year or maybe 2 years ago? Perhaps PM "Tazman" on here...

15-Mar-17
Check out Eagle Mountain Outfitters in Gunnison, CO. 3 guys driving straight through took 32 hours / 2100 miles to reach Gunnison. Stay overnight in Gunnison and then drive the 2 hours to get to the base camp for another overnight. Jon will bring you into the mountains the next morning on horseback to a camp site all set up and ready to go. It will cost no more than $3000 per person for the entire hunt (license, outfitter, motel, gas, food, etc.) We did it twice so far.

15-Mar-17

Tazman's Link
Massbay i did it in 15' and actually got a a shot on a nice bull at 18 yds. I filmed the entire trip if your interested. It is on my youtube channel in two parts. I am actually going back this fall to the same area . I am also going to be posting a vid i made of the gear i brought on my trip soon, because im going to do an updated vid of what im taking/not taking this time. Pm me if you have any questions.

• Sitka Gear