RutnStrut 20-Mar-17
Nocturnal 20-Mar-17
casekiska 20-Mar-17
PB in WI 21-Mar-17
Mindbender 21-Mar-17
Mindbender 21-Mar-17
maya2003 21-Mar-17
16-Mar-17
How many of you have been hitting the woods hard this winter? Scouting is by far my favorite thing to do when it comes to hunting. I was able to get a week off work and put some serious miles down in the woods. Since Thursday I have spent all my day time in the woods. Covering on average 17 miles a day. It's been long, exhausting, yet a blast and I'm thrilled to check off more than I expected to do scouting up here this year. This season should be an exciting one.

I was given the green light for Missouri this hunting season as long as I tag out here first. A buddy and I will be down there in two weeks for a 3 day scout trip on some public land. Next year we draw Iowa.

Between Work, family, and scouting. These last couple months have flown bye and I haven't even touched editing much at all. Sorry to those that have been anxious for that. That's a stone I hope to turn soon.

I hope all the level headed boys here have enjoyed the offseason.

Anyone who wants to ask or share something related to scouting. That would be great and a nice change here...

NoC

16-Mar-17
I scouted March 3/4/5 in west central Illinois, March 10/11/12 in south central Iowa, and will return tomorrow for 3 more Iowa days. All public land. I got the points to draw Iowa this year and the $800 tag fee is well worth a real deer hunt rather than the ghost deer hunts here on IL public. I won't have to acquaint myself with guys from 15 states mostly TN, GA, AL, MA & LA. They are few and far between in Iowa. I'm lucky most my scouting expenses are paid for as I combined them with work I had in these areas.

16-Mar-17
Winter is normally my favorite season but with the warm temperatures and lack of snow didn't feel much like winter.

I kept telling myself I should check out a few areas but it feels like time is always escaping me. With the lengthening days I'm hope to do some after work.

16-Mar-17
I read once,....."NO sun, NO warmth, NOVEMBER!" That's it, the absolute best time,...along with maybe the last few days of October. How an you beat it? The answer is, "you can't".

16-Mar-17
That's awesome zim! Good luck to you this year. I hope you put down a public land slob.

16-Mar-17
Hard to pick love spring turkey and fishing but I also love October, November and December Musky and deer. But.... I also ice fish Minnesota and Wisconsin. I can't make up my mind.....

16-Mar-17
Give me summer year round .

16-Mar-17
My favorite time is when there are no mosquitos.

16-Mar-17
Too many things in WI to do is the issue. The only time I do not like it is late June through Mid to end of Sept. Between hunting, trapping, steelhead fishing, ice fishing, all fishing, I can't get it all done. I feel sorry for the people who have two seasons Hot and not as hot, NOT!!! they can stay there and cook.

16-Mar-17
17 miles a day on foot is simply superhuman...my Colonel would've loved you! He was an animal when it came to marches.

16-Mar-17

Nocturnal's embedded Photo
Nocturnal's embedded Photo
17 miles from dark to dark is quite easy to do when your moving all day. She came out a couple days picking up sheds through known bedding areas. We also picked a nice lone pine in the middle of a large swamp to take a cat nap.

I said it's easy. Actually, everyday was brutal and my dog was pretty tired too. I had to send her home with the wife on Monday. But if I can make the time to do something I will take advantage of every second. I was hoping to get 130 miles in 7 days. I didn't make that number but I am happy and found 6 spots that should be slam dunks if I did my home work right. It will be cool to log all my way points in my maps.

16-Mar-17
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you didn't walk 17 miles a day, just picturing my hunting area and that would be like walking from downtown Grantsburg, through the brushy woods and swamps to Yellow Lake 17 miles as the crow flies...something I know would leave me with very little time to scout...and dog ass tired at days end.

16-Mar-17
I would love winter to be one month, December. With the spring warmup starting right away in Jan. I like all 4 seasons but after 30 days winter sucks. I am especially fond of late September with the cool mornings giving way to still comfortably warm days with plenty of daylight to enjoy outdoor activities.

I did manage to get out for a few hours last Sunday shed hunting with my dogs. It was a bit disappointing to be in the middle of such great deer habitat and know that it's unhuntable. I did find a few areas that I would set up in if I could. One high spot surrounded by water that was just loaded with beds. We pushed a group of at least 6 deer out of there as we crossed the small creek into their bedroom. No sheds found but it was a beautifull walk nonetheless.

20-Mar-17
Just spent Sat and Sun pulling bull Gills through the ice, you just can not beat that. No bugs, no boats to deal with, no jet skies, not getting cooked in the sun, just watching intently any movement in that spring bobber.

20-Mar-17
I'd have a very difficult time saying what was my favorite time of year. But, I can say that Jan-Feb is the worst time of my year. I find many things to keep me busy through all times of the year other than this period. That said, it is this time when I attend various SCI and other hunting related shows which helps pass this time period.

20-Mar-17
"NOVEMBER!" That's it, the absolute best time,...along with maybe the last few days of October. How an you beat it? The answer is, "you can't""

Case, you haven't spent much time in the Mountains in September then I'm guessing :)

20-Mar-17
I put on 8 miles yesterday. Most of it in god awful thick, wet, muck. I found some great beds and set ups. I couldn't doe half of what I wanted because I've been sick. Don't get sick hardly at all for years. Now I get sicker than hell when work and scouting is all I need to be doing.

20-Mar-17
8 miles while sick is pretty good if you ask me.

I did a little over 6 miles yesterday. Found 2 decent spots. 1 killer spot I spent a lot of time in. Prepped a tree for it. I finished my day falling in a hole of water up to my belly. Couple spots the deer trails were up to my waist. I'm happy my phone stayed dry. I also found a dead eagle on the edge of a tamarack swamp. Not sure what the cause was. I thought about contacting the dnr but seeing as it was partly eaten and a long ways from parking. I decided to just snap a pic and press on.

20-Mar-17
LW - I have spent a great deal of time outdoors in September. Only a few weeks in the mountains in September,...and yes, they are superb, glorious, and breathtaking. But, in my opinion, I like best WI in late October - November. My best bowhunting days are well behind me I know, but I also know that some of my most memorable and enjoyable days afield occurred during the late Oct - Nov period. For me, in my opinion, those are, have been, and will be the best days - my personal favorites,...just saying.

21-Mar-17
October/November and May/June are my favorite times of the year. Some of my best memories have been during those times. Another 14 months and I will be retired so hopefully every day will be my favorite day. It took me a while to appreciate every day I have. Most of my dream hunts to faraway places never quite made to the top of the priority list when I wore a younger man's clothes but maybe one or two may still happen.

21-Mar-17
A couple months. May June. Everything is greening up throwing a few musky baits long evenings bonfires. In the fall when the leaves turn. He smell of woodsmoke in the air , flannel shirt cool mornings warm afternoon Reaping the harvest. Setting in the bow stand , geese overhead. Life's good enjoy it!!! Best thing we live in a free Country. To b able to do it!

21-Mar-17

Mindbender's embedded Photo
Mindbender's embedded Photo
A couple months. May June. Everything is greening up throwing a few musky baits long evenings bonfires. In the fall when the leaves turn. He smell of woodsmoke in the air , flannel shirt cool mornings warm afternoon Reaping the harvest. Setting in the bow stand , geese overhead. Life's good enjoy it!!! Best thing we live in a free Country. To b able to do it!

21-Mar-17
Mindbender +1

• Sitka Gear