RutnStrut 19-Mar-17
Pasquinell 19-Mar-17
Drop Tine 19-Mar-17
Jeff in MN 20-Mar-17
MF 20-Mar-17
Mindbender 21-Mar-17
South Farm 21-Mar-17
17-Mar-17
Is it legal to use a chainsaw on public land to cut fallen trees that have blocked an access between a couple streams, or make room to get through certain areas?

17-Mar-17
When I use a chain saw on County land (bear bait logs) I make sure I get a permit, doesn't cost anything. But then find out what you can cut and what you cant.

17-Mar-17
Good point MF. In all the years that I have been cutting bait logs on public land it never ever dawned on me that it might require a permit. I have never needed to cut anything live which I am pretty sure would be prohibited. Don't think I even cut anything dead that was still standing.

17-Mar-17
Well, I went to the Bayfield County Courthouse one day to talk about where they plan to clear cut that year and mentioned to the forester about cutting bait logs and he said chances are they wouldn't do anything but to be on the up-n-up I should get a permit. While checking out a new bear area one day, this is after I got my permit, I did find a great area with easy access off the road that was logged 2 years prior. I cut 3/4 of a truck load of camp fire wood (oak). If I didn't have that permit that would have never happened.

18-Mar-17
Yup, get a permit. It will save you a lot of headaches.

18-Mar-17
It depends on what Public land you are asking about; Federal, State or County. USFS, if Wilderness or Non-Motorized Areas then chainsaws are prohibited. Anything else just cutting a downed log would not require a permit. However motorized travel is managed under a plan so you need to know if the road is open or closed and a map is available. Off road travel is prohibited on National Forests. No permit would be needed if using the wood for a campfire but taking wood home for firewood supply then a permit is needed.

18-Mar-17
Permit is to obtain, keeps you on the safe side! I believe. Not. Available on any department of interior land. Or tribal land!

18-Mar-17
Thanks for the input, I'll check on that permit.

18-Mar-17
Get the correct answer. Contact land owner: state/fed/county/etc.

18-Mar-17
Buck Watcher for the win.

18-Mar-17
Buck Watcher is spot on. I hunt too many different open/public lands to apply one general rule.

19-Mar-17
Mindbender mentioned tribal land. Is it even possible to get permission to cut firewood, cut bait logs, or hunt on tribal land? I know it will vary from tribe to tribe but when we hunted near the Red Lake reservation in NW Minnesota the locals told us in no uncertain terms to stay off of their land. Their property lines were very well marked, even the little 40 acre parcels scattered around.

19-Mar-17
The tribes in general do not like outsiders on their land and can be quite hostile about it. Some however like money more than they dislike outsiders and sell permission to access the reservations. As above, ask the tribe in question to get the right answer. Realize that even with a permit, individuals will not take kindly to your being there.

19-Mar-17
Jeff in Mn.... My wife is a tribal member from Red Lake, even if I am with her, I wont step on that reservation.

19-Mar-17
If you get. Caught cutting on tribal lands. Tell the. Tribal members your from the Facarwee. Tribe. Usually that works ! With them.

19-Mar-17
Shouldn't everyone be allowed some cutting on public land if the tree is their "spirit" tree?

19-Mar-17
If my treestand is left in a tree, doesn't that automatically make it mine? I should be able to cut it down if I so chose. HA!

19-Mar-17
Nope Pasq, but you can hug it and squeeze it and call it George if you like.

20-Mar-17
Facarwee Tribe? Google didn't help me so Mindbender, would you explain that one for me?

Mike, the people we stayed with said they even drive extra miles in order to avoid several roads in/near the Red Lake reservation. I think the fear was breaking down on those roads could turn into a bad situation.

20-Mar-17
Unfortunately this is they way it is. I myself wouldn't care if you stopped and shopped, spent some money in my town. You Jeff, will have a free pass lol

21-Mar-17
Facarwee tribe= short for. Where to f@@k our we!

21-Mar-17
That Red Lake band could be living high on the hog like kings if they started guiding us pale faces on the lower lake and the portion of upper we can't look at. Apparently living in squalor is somehow better??

• Sitka Gear