Oneeye 23-Mar-17
grizzlyadam 24-Mar-17
shawnm 24-Mar-17
Bloodtrail 24-Mar-17
Rich 25-Mar-17
Deerhunter 02-Apr-17
Rader1 02-Apr-17
19-Mar-17
I've been checking out a lot of climbers and I've got it narrowed down to summit and lone wolf. They both have the best ratings including safety. Any thoughts on which one to go with? I'm really not comfortable spending over 300 on a tree stand so please keep that in mind. And I would like to keep it a climber. I'm not comfortable leaving any stand in the woods after my cam went missing.

19-Mar-17
I have the summit and the lone wolf hand climb. I hate the lone wolf. The only nice feature about it is the size and weight. Other than that I don't like how it climbs and not comfortable for more than a 3 hour sit.

19-Mar-17

Bloodtrail's Link
I have a Summit and although it's comfortable, it is not quicker or quieter to climb a tree compared to the Lone Wolf, which I also have. You can get an XOP stand (the original designer of Lone Wolf owns/work for XOP) for about the same price or less than a Summit. The XOP packs down flat and is way easier to pack in. It's up to you from there.

I prefer a stand I can quickly and quietly climb a tree in a few minutes and be settled and ready to go. I've had many times I've climbed with my Lone Wolf and had deer under me in minutes because it's so quiet to climb with.

19-Mar-17
I've always used the summit. Love em Dreamed of lone Wolf but didn't have the money.

19-Mar-17
Lone wolf!!! Easy, light, sturdy. No bar to get in the way. I've had mine for over 10 years... never wanted anything else.

19-Mar-17
Iv'e owned both. After I bought the wolf I immediately sold the summit and bought a second wolf. My first wolf is about 20 yrs. old and works like brand new.

19-Mar-17
Love them both but they like all things have negative and positive sides for me . The summit is comfortable and easy to set on trees especially larger dia. The stiff cable is easy to grab and if you go in a shag bark tree the cable doesn't get hung up on descent as bad . But it is a little heavy. The lone wolf is lighter and more compact its my go to stand for long hikes especially if there is hills to climb . The stand is a little quieter to set up but not as comfortable on long sits and tree's that are at its max sometimes hard to get the tree strap for me but I'm only 5'5" so short arms . On shag bark tree's the belt gets hung up so try to avoid them . Good luck deciding both good stands .

20-Mar-17
Owned both. Been strictly lone wolf now for 13 years. I'd never go back to a summit.

20-Mar-17
shawnm,

When it comes to climbers, something needs to be said about set up. No matter which stand you choose, some noise is inevitable. BOBHUNT71 mentions climbing a shag bark tree, something impossible to to climb without snapping or popping bark as you climb, therefore, I never choose one of those to climb. Any deer within one hundred yards will hear you, maybe in some cases, farther. In my experience, once the climbing/noise is done, many deer approach to investigate the cause. I've killed quite a few of them looking for me.

Comfort in a stand is of supreme importance. You will be more focused on hunting if you don't have a PITA sit.

Weight considerations are relative to two things. Those are, your physical condition and what you want and need to have with you as you hunt. For instance, I carry a telescoping tripod. I don't need the tripod, unless I get a deer, in which case, I am prepared to photograph a memorable moment that should last my lifetime. I spend a lot of time maintaining my physical condition all year long, because it affects my quality of life, especially bow hunting deer from trees.

Keep on learning and finding improvement to your own satisfaction.

21-Mar-17

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
I did end up going with the summit razor. The reviews are great and I like that you can move the bar in front. A little pricey at $310 but hopefully it will be a climber I enjoy for years.

21-Mar-17
My original viper classic lasted about 20years. Leaving it out for most seasons. I could have gotten new cables and kept going but the seat was on it's way out.

21-Mar-17
shawnm,

I would suggest you carry and use a ratchet strap to secure the top frame to the tree. Mount it around the tree, below the V. Bumping the frame could break the grip on the tree and allow it to slip down. Also, when standing , there might be a tendency to lean on the side arm rests, and break the grip. Don't over tighten or you could bend the frame, just tight enough to keep it in place.

21-Mar-17
Either one is a home run, I prefer the lone wolf, how ever now days i stuck hunting from the ground

21-Mar-17
If going with Summit..id by the Third Hand Archery stabalizer straps (Google search) . This is the Most Important Piece of equipment AFTER the Safety Harness, in my opinion. This will secure you and your top and bottom platform in the tree, similar to what Wild Bill is describing..Once you tighten the straps in, your upper and lower platform are LOCKED securely and should NOT move at all.

23-Mar-17
I have two viper climbers and a summit hang on. I really like the summits for the Full enclosure. I hunt almost all mornings. I get there an hour before shooting light and half sleep untill hunt time so It? keeps me from safe. Viper is definitely more comfortable then summit but heavier and clanky. Almost impossible to be silent setting up even with foam spray. Gotta get third hand bow hanger. Forget a screw in hanger or on the lap. Did that for years and sucks compared to hanger. Probably not safest but I put bow no arrow nocked obviously in hanger and climb up and ready to go. No pull rope needed.

24-Mar-17
Always wanted to try a LW, but I keep getting summits. I have four summit climbers, all different, none have a bar across the front. I love em! You can find them used for good prices.

24-Mar-17
Ya the reason I chose the razor it being my first climber I like the bar for added safety and I like I can move it when I draw. I guess the viper has a fixed bar. This setup adds a pound and brings it up to 21 lbs but its still not bad.

24-Mar-17
The bar will never be in your way. When you stand up its going to be just above your knees.

25-Mar-17
Lone Wolf. Enough said.

02-Apr-17
Any one know if you can get a deal on a lone wolf. Seems like I can't find one for under 300. Was hoping to see some clearance sales

02-Apr-17
Deerhunter I sent you a PM

• Sitka Gear