notme 04-Apr-17
bigbuckbob 04-Apr-17
bb 04-Apr-17
bigbuckbob 05-Apr-17
Ace 05-Apr-17
bigbuckbob 05-Apr-17
20-Mar-17

Dr. Williams's Link
I just don’t understand how if 527 deer were counted on Staten Island by infrared survey in 2016, how the heck did WB sterilize over 700 bucks so far? Is it “fuzzy math” or “fake news?”

20-Mar-17
They sterized some twice? :)

20-Mar-17
Go away.

20-Mar-17
Cuz they get pay by the unit. ??

20-Mar-17
2nd BT

20-Mar-17

Dr. Williams's embedded Photo
Haha Jerry! The article reports that in unhunted populations, bucks make up 40% of the population. 40% of 527 = 211, so they would have to had sterilized each buck more than 3 times to reach 700!! Or maybe there are limitations in surveying vast areas using aerial infrared imagery. The opening line in the article says it all. They get paid the full amount, but what guys love to do is to take that amount and divide by number of deer to get a per deer cost.

20-Mar-17
BT and Paul. Feel free to ignore this thread unless otherwise compelled to keep checking it for some reason. Choice is yours.

20-Mar-17
Regardless of how they count em or their gender, that's pretty amazing that they have been able to tranquilize that many deer. WOW!

20-Mar-17
So is this actually gonna work to reduce the herd or just create a herd of genetic in bred mutants all bred by the same few fathers year after year?

Or maybe mutants in a good way. If the one buck that survive to breed did so because he is super smart (maybe mutated by radiation) , will he create a generation of super smart (and maybe evil) offspring.

Maybe like Star Trek II where the Kahn of bucks leads a generation of super sociopathic deer to take over Staten Island. Or Maybe Staten Island could become Planet of the Deer where humans are subjugated and enslaved.

Just ask Charlton Heston what happens when people play God with nature (either "Moses" or "George Taylor") , the answer will be the same, bad.

20-Mar-17
Perhaps this proves how some experts are just so darn good at counting deer that they ALWAYS get it wrong.

Next up: Someone will be doing a Gypsy Moth study which will prove conclusively that when there is taxpayer money in it, there is always a bug to be counted!

20-Mar-17
Seriously. Capturing 700 animals in a season is a hurclean effort. I think guys think that if one buck remains untreated, he will impregnate 100% of the does. Doesn't work like that. The breeding behavior and mate guarding and all that continues, bucks just shoot blanks. So dominant bucks will prevent subordinates from breeding with their does. "Ace", it is clear that estimating deer abundances on the scale of towns and states is problematic. That is why our techniques attempt to count all animals on small blocks and reports densities on those areas only. Dispute that.

20-Mar-17
Who keeps track of how many deer get done ? WB or is there someone from ny with them ?

20-Mar-17
It may not be possible for one normal buck to breed all those does. But we are talking about a genetic mutant buck with enhanced intelligence and physical capabilities, just saying.

20-Mar-17
It may not be possible for one normal buck to breed all those does. But we are talking about a genetic mutant buck with enhanced intelligence and physical capabilities, just saying.

20-Mar-17
So did they do vasectomies or castrations? That would affect the Bucks desire to breed.

20-Mar-17
What's this have to do with bow hunting in CT? Just another example of how biologists in ny don't know their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to counting deer.

20-Mar-17
Haha. So if I ignore your stupid threads.....you'll ignore everyone else's?

Just testing your scientific theory.....

20-Mar-17
Careful Jerry. They did vasectomies. I like to call it denutting,........Doc likes when I say that. Why? Because he has no hunting stories, just ticks and wb stories.

20-Mar-17
If one remaining buck impregnates 5 doe and they have 5 buck fawns your gonna need to call out WB again and it goes on and on.

20-Mar-17
"The article reports that in unhunted populations, bucks make up 40% of the population. 40% of 527 = 211, so they would have to had sterilized each buck more than 3 times to reach 700!!"

So by that account, if bucks are 40% of the population and 700 were nutered, thepopulation would be 1,750 if they caught ALL the bucks. If they only caught 1/2 of the bucks it means they have 3,500 deer.

20-Mar-17
I wonder if there was a spike in deer vasectomies the Wednesday before March Madness, just like there is with humans, so that they can sit with ice packs and watch their brackets.

20-Mar-17
Steve. I'm sure NY officials are working with them but I don't know for sure. I can assure you, they have handled the amount of bucks reported. Toonces, the buck in the photo is just a photo. Whether or not it is sterilized I don't know. Pretty sure they wouldn't discriminate. Jerry, they're given vasectomies. The will to breed is not affected. Bloodtrail, why can't you ignore this thread? Or at least, why can you not keep from posting? I've been following all along and not posting on other threads.... Crow, the numbers in the article are the only ones I know.

20-Mar-17

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/u-Hnu7ysllo

I think it was/is the responsibility of the dept.of the interior to do the estimations at inagurations..the interview said they take a satellite picture of the area then lay a grid over it, people then estimates or count how many people are in that one particular grid assigned to them..if a guy in a green hat moves through all of the grids then he's counted that many more times bringing up the total...kinda like counting deer on a grander scale

20-Mar-17
Doc, my feelings are hurt! You left me out of your rebuttal. But you left out the part where the bucks are returned to the wild to run into cars hurting people. Remember your other post where you said deer are more dangerous than bobcats, lions and bears,....Oh my.

20-Mar-17
And when the Doc says "I can assure you", you better believe it is all true and is gospel!

20-Mar-17
Have I lied to you previously Longbeard?

21-Mar-17
Uh Oh Doc - I see a can of worms being opened.

21-Mar-17
Crow. At the time the article I posted was written, there were 651 bucks captured and sterilized. It also says there are likely well over 1600 deer living on the Island. According to those numbers, they must feel as though they have captured the majority of the bucks on the Island.

21-Mar-17
I still think this is a bad idea, and likely, one that wont work long term... But, I'm still mind boggled that they were able to tranc that many deer. Seriously. They tranquilized more deer in what, 6 months, than I have probably seen in my hunting career. Regardless of how you feel about the concept, that's pretty amazing. Bad idea, but amazing.

21-Mar-17
Will - I couldn't agree more with your statement that there's no way they could possible find every buck, or nearly every buck on the island and capture them. This is just not believable.

21-Mar-17
Simple answer.. The cost to sterilized 700+ deer would have been too high to get them to approve of the plan. So they gave a low-ball number to pass the plan. Just like a builder giving a low-ball estimate and then running into 'unforeseen' issues.

21-Mar-17
No G, because our WB authority already stated it's a total price contract, not a per deer contract so the estimate should have nothing to do with price.

21-Mar-17
As I have said from the start of these threads on Staten Island, if anyone can do this, it is these guys. And it is possible to capture every buck. Just takes lots of trail cameras, corn, and discipline. These guys are professionals, not a handful of guys recreating. They have captured and sterilized 700 bucks since September and you don’t think they can get them all?

21-Mar-17
So how dose this work do the deer run far ? Even with a good gun shot they run do they have to chase every deer would like to see this on video steve

21-Mar-17
To Will's point, in order to give 651 bucks vasectomies, one would think that after a few weeks a ton of them would have been accidentally tranquilized several extra times after their "procedure" ... unless they made the treated deer wear large funnels on their heads afterwards for identification purposes. Or did they spray paint their backsides so they would know not to shoot them again?

21-Mar-17
Steve. When a deer is darted, it's like a nasty bee sting. Not a lethal encounter. They freak out a little when hit, run a bit, settle down, and the drug then takes effect and they are TKOed. The dart is barbed so it stays in them and they can be tracked with radio telemetry as there is a small transmitter in the dart. Then they are transported to a trailer or something where the surgical procedure takes place. To avoid capturing an already sterile buck, they are given big goofy cattle ear tags. If a buck doesn't have tags, it's not sterile.

21-Mar-17
Thanks. That makes sense.

21-Mar-17
Sounds better. Thanks

22-Mar-17
And the over population of deer are returned to the island where they can continue to run into cars killing innocent children, just as Doc told us before. You know, where he said "Deer are the most dangerous animals out there!" We need to kill them all, or something like that.

Here's an idea. Why not tranq them and then euthanize them, donate the meat to homeless shelters and remove the danger from the public????? Hmmmmm, sounds like it would cost less than surgery and provide 2 benefits. Naw, WB would probably make less money.

I also find it strange that WB couldn't shoot the projected number of deer in CT where there are thousands (exaggeration) running around in the kill area per their own aerial survey, but they can find every single buck on Staten Island (MORE than the survey) where there are millions of people (per Doc) all over the place getting in between the tranq gun and the deer. So not sure how WB could possible lure EVERY buck to a tranq gun where the range is much more limited than a high powered rifle, but failed in Redding. Interesting!

22-Mar-17
Wow Bob. Sounds like you have all the answers. You should have put a bid in for the Staten Island job. Here is the problem with your “solution.” Once you inject the drug into the animal via dart, labelling requires that the animal not be consumed by humans within 60 days to allow the drug cocktail to fully metabolize. And why not save a whole lot of time and effort and money and pharmaceuticals and just shoot the deer with lead instead of a dart? Your “solution” seems very cost ineffective and renders the venison unfit for human consumption, and ultimately, is overly and unnecessarily burdensome to taxpayers. And to answer your question, in Redding, they were restricted to our 2 areas of study, 2 one-mile square areas on which they killed 87 deer over 3 years. On Staten Island, it is a non-lethal endeavor and they have access to 100% of the 59 square mile island. Any more questions? Maybe you should stay in your lane and let the professionals handle non-traditional deer management efforts.

22-Mar-17
So throw the meat away and save the children Doc! remember your comments about how deadly deer are to people and WB is doing such a great service by killing all of them in other areas and how CT hunters should do the same? Remember your lies Doc! You need to keep your story consistent.

Redding - YOU said there were tons of deer in the kill area, that's why WB was asked to kill the deer. Then when they didn't kill the quota the excuse was human intervention (someone was watching from their truck, oh wow, that's terrible). And isn't it more difficult to get all of the bucks over a larger area, like 59 sq miles? How does that make it easier, please explain. You make no sense. And who is the professional you're talking? It's not you! You're just a biologist not connected with WB in any way, right? Or are you??? You seems to answer all of their questions. Why is that? Why do you have need to defend what a professional, independent company is doing? It has nothing to do with your job as CAES. Strange!

22-Mar-17

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo

22-Mar-17
What the - - - -?

22-Mar-17
Are we really doing this again? Let me get this straight, so now your “solution” is to capture the deer, kill them, and then throw them away? Why not just kill them directly and donate the venison, you know, like we did in Redding? Why waste time, corn, effort, and taxpayer money introducing drugs into their systems only to kill them and let them rot? If hunters could truly manage deer, services of professional outfits like WB would not be needed. THAT has been my point all along. Until the day comes, all that hunters can do is log onto online message boards and complain that taxpayer money is being used to fund successful deer management programs. Are you happy you are getting some attention now Bob?

22-Mar-17
Doc - come on! You already said shooting on the island is not practical, why are you suggesting that. I agree with your earlier post, leave this to the professionals.

I thoroughly enjoy our discussions Doc. You're fun to play with :)

22-Mar-17
There are more creative, legal, and humane ways to kill deer than merely shooting them, especially in urban settings Bob. You just need to think outside the box a little. . . Come on now.

22-Mar-17
Can you imagine 1400 shed antlers every year laying around on a small island? Should be able to see them using Google Earth!

22-Mar-17
Doc, so why did YOU suggest shooting them? You're going in circles. How's this for creative. Land mines. Create a Pokemon app for finding deer and whacking them with poison darts. Have a cattle drive into the ocean and drown them. Flame throwers. Pay the boys in the hood half what WB is getting to whack them. Now that's out of the box. Or have read your posts and they'll commit suicide.

22-Mar-17
Not to digress, but did anyone happen to notice if the subway "bat boy" happened to have a cattle ear tag? I'm concerned there might be more of them out there...

22-Mar-17
I think Bat Boy was headed to Staten Island to suck the blood out of the deer carcasses left over from the Maguda deer management plan: dart, kill, and rot.

22-Mar-17

23-Mar-17

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo

23-Mar-17
Come on guys! Suggesting Bat Boy as means to kill the deer is not thinking out of the box. Everyone knows he's out there and kills whatever he wants. That's just SOP.

23-Mar-17
Who did the aerial survey? Was it the same company that was used in Redding by WB? That would explain why the count was so wrong in the first place. Glen's contractor would have gotten it right.

23-Mar-17
Doc - "I just don’t understand how if 527 deer were counted on Staten Island by infrared survey in 2016, how the heck did WB sterilize over 700 bucks so far? Is it “fuzzy math” or “fake news?”

Actually Doc they answer to your question is very simple.......They did`nt.

23-Mar-17

23-Mar-17
"They did' nt" what? What are you saying?

24-Mar-17
Didn't work on 700 bucks? Didn't survey 527 deer? Both? Probably!

24-Mar-17
Are you suggesting that WB has not captured and sterilized over 700 bucks? And you are saying that the aerial survey showing 527 deer on Staten Island can’t be wrong? So this article is bogus saying there were 70 sterilized as of 15 September? http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/70_deer_vasectomies_on_staten.html. And this one from 21 October saying there were 299? http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/299_deer_vasectomies_on_staten.html. Or this one from 8 December saying there were now 488 sterilized? http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/12/deer_mariners_marsh_park.html. Or this one from 3 January saying 540 had been performed? http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/01/staten_island_deer_vasectomies.html. Or this one from 10 March reporting 715 had been done? http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/deer_vasectomies_winding_down.html stating “There are likely well over 1,780 deer living in the borough now.” Or this one saying they only surveyed 527 deer in 2016? http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/staten_island_deer_count_2016.html

Must all be fake news...

24-Mar-17
Are there independent auditors following white buffalo around and keeping count or is all the data and numbers being provided by white buffalo.

Absent independent first hand verification, I can't say it's unreasonable to question the numbers.

24-Mar-17

Dr. Williams's Link
I'd say the 700+ bucks walking around Staten Island with big goofy cattle ear tags kind of speak for themselves. Is that enough verification?

24-Mar-17
Then you should be able to provide us with all the independent verification / documentation and pictures of each of the 715 tagged deer WB is claiming; being the city of Staten Island is looking to spend approximately $4,000 per deer.

24-Mar-17
I don't have any reason to doubt the numbers, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone who does. Unfortunately government entities and subcontractors have lost the benefit of the doubt when dealing in public funds, and for good reason.

24-Mar-17
I don't have any reason to doubt the numbers, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone who does. Unfortunately government entities and subcontractors have lost the benefit of the doubt when dealing in public funds, and for good reason.

24-Mar-17
Doc - to be serious for moment, I agree with what Toonces is saying. There has been so much mis-representation of the facts, spinning, half truths, etc these days that you can quote all of the articles you want, but the masses are skeptical of any reported numbers, whether it's Obama care saying you can keep you doctor and pay less, or WB saying 700 bucks were tagged. I don't see a reason WHY WB would say there are more deer since they're being paid for the total job, not the per deer price. Look at this way, first it's reported that the FACTS show there are X number of deer on Staten Island, then we're told the facts show there are 4 times that qty. Which fact do we believe??? They can't both be true!

24-Mar-17
Glen. Seriously? Why do I need to provide that? I’m neither an NYC or WB employee. Was every single buck photographed? I don’t know. I would say that NYC Park officials who are footing the bill are probably keeping a pretty good eye on things and this operation is pretty high visibility. You should ask them. I keep forgetting that we live in Trump’s America now where you can say anything you want and it is true until you can prove otherwise, and sometimes even then, it is still true. I shot a 37 point buck last year. Obama wiretapped Trump Tower. WB is lying about how many animals they sterilized. Ted Cruz’s father killed JFK. There were more people at Trump’s inauguration than Obama’s. 700+ bucks is a huge effort that you guys can’t even fathom, as such, it has to be made up, right? I told you guys from the start, if there was anyone who could pull this off on 60 square miles, it’s these guys.

Bob, you can always believe in alternative facts, or read the article in which it says “. . . we’ve got a minimum of 527 deer on the Island, but it’s likely much higher.” My point in starting this thread was to show limitations in using thermal imagery to estimate deer abundances on large-scale areas. Because of all the skeptics here, I think we should organize a Bowsite field trip to Staten Island to count tagged deer and talk to NYC officials about how many deer have been sterilized. We could rent a bus.

24-Mar-17
The field trip sounds like a good idea, Doc, however in the few short months I have been on this forum, I have come to realize that even something such as organizing a bus trip is likely to become a hotly debated issue. Deciding who sits where is just the beginning... the cross bow guys will opt to take the train since it's a more comfortable option because of their arthritis. The traditional guys will likely prefer to ride horses there, and the conspiracy guys will, of course, deny buses even exist.

Sounds like the "it's likely much higher" idea turned out to be correct. I don't see what WB would stand to gain by inflating numbers, except to help with future marketing efforts when they can use Staten Island as an example and tell municipalities "You think your problem is bad? It's probably much worse. Just look at Staten Island...We got clobbered on that job and that's why we had to raise our fee." The whole story is pretty amazing. Assuming the buck : doe ratio is 50/50, (which it's probably not), and assuming WB didn't overlook any scrotums, (which they likely have), then Staten Island actually has 3x the number of deer the ariel survey claimed.... likely much higher.... If any contractors did a shoddy job or fudged numbers, I would think it was most likely the jamokes flying the plane wanting to save fuel, or the bean counters sitting at mission control with tired eyes and thoughts about not being paid enough to count hundreds of blobs on an ariel survey.

24-Mar-17
Doc, fake news is not limited to Trump. How about Obama saying you can keep your doctor, or your rates will go down. And I don't even want to start with the Clinton's lies, the list is too long. And reporters saying they were under fire while on assignment or printing rumor without fact checking.

24-Mar-17

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo

24-Mar-17
Haha Nature boy!! I'd probably be sitting alone in the back of the bus! Bob, how about 7 years worth of lies from the Republicans? Repeal and replace??!!! How embarrassing with control of the House, Senate, and White House, still couldn't undo Obamacare.

24-Mar-17
At the risk of being flamed out of here, wasn't there a big stink over the 2X "ratio" noted in the past for aerial counts, and this particular "work" is suggesting that perhaps 3X would make more sense. Sort of got a chuckle out of that.

I keep going back to it though, I think this is a BAD idea for hunters. Last thing I want is for people to start saying: "hey, hunting isnt needed for population control efforts, we could just tranc the deer and "fix" em..." Ugh.

It's mind boggling, be it with bait and night vision or not, to tag (literally) so many deer. I'm amazed by that. While the sq/mi is substantial, the suitable deer habitat must be compressed in some ways to help compress where the animals are living.

Again, the hunter in me thinks this stinks. But the science nerd is finding it rather amazing!

24-Mar-17

N8tureBoy's Link
Amazing to think of that density when you look at a map. Unless they are riding the busses, incarcerated in the prison, attending one of 3 colleges or 19 high schools, the deer must be confined to the residential and smaller green areas, making the density in those areas much higher than the 24.6/square mile for the island as a whole.

To put the population into perspective, there are slightly fewer deer on the island than there are asians, but more deer than the American indian population. Also, just to stir the pot a bit for Doc and B3, very interesting to read that the inhabitants of the island voted for Obama (50.7%) in 2012, yet they voted in favor of Trump (56.1%) in 2016. Wikipedia does not discuss how the deer voted, but now that most of the deer have no balls, I suspect a democrat will prevail in 2020... ; )

24-Mar-17

Here is a map of the locations where the deer were seen.

25-Mar-17
Very cool Thanks. The density in those areas must be huge! The map on my link shows water sources a little more clearly. I wonder if more traffic collisions correlate with the areas where there isn't a water supply close by, forcing them to move more. Like the expressway near Arden Heights and the Southshore golf course. Also interesting that no deer were spotted on that little island near the north shore, which is ironically named "shooters island."

25-Mar-17
Doc - I think ALL of the politician should be fired!! Can't believe any of them. We've lost control of the government. I was watching Tucker Carlson last night and he had a retired NSA official on who stated that they monitor the emails and phone conversation of ALL people and he stated the names of the programs that do this. When asked if Trump was being monitored, he said absolutely, if not directly, indirectly. The NSA is breaking the law by doing this and this should be a great concern for the American people than what the politicians are arguing about. Sometimes it's better to be old. Don't have to put up with it as long as you young guys. :)

25-Mar-17
That was "fake news." And different than baselessly saying Obama committed a felony and wiretapped Trump Tower. I can watch Fox News too. I don't need my President to do it for me.

25-Mar-17

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/ssv4qjuHYhk

26-Mar-17
Doc - As you've already admitted you can't verify the numbers why not just admit that absent independent verification they're meaningless ?

26-Mar-17
Right Glen. Meaningless. Again, so what you are implying is that WB's business model and reputation the last 21 years has been based on falsifying numbers? They are so good at lying about their work, that NYC gave them a $2 million contract? Do you think that is how things work? If they say they sterilized 700+ bucks, they did so. If you are so skeptical, what is preventing you from sending an email to the NYC Parks Dept for verification? Because you might find out WB is telling the truth? Why is Trump having Congress investigate his false claims about Obama wire tapping him when he can get that information for himself? Because he doesn't seek the truth, he just wants to cast doubt.

26-Mar-17
airrow - because anything connected with WB needs no verification, just like anything connected to Democrats is correct, right, good, etc. It's called an agenda. No open mind to differing opinions.

26-Mar-17
"I'm a REAL boy!!"

Glen pulls the string ... and the puppet responds. Anyone else wonder how long it will take him to realize he's being toyed with?

26-Mar-17
Ace please explain

26-Mar-17

Dr. Williams's Link
"Ace", Pinnochio didn't have strings, therefore, your lame attempt at insulting me, once again, falls flat. Remember his little dance routine titled "I Got No Strings?" Why does Glen need you to speak on his behalf anyway? Are you his puppet? I'm happy to entertain a thoughtful, witty insult from you that makes sense, but I'm guessing I'll be waiting a while.

26-Mar-17
Doc - The Staten Island numbers absent independent verification are meaningless; no one's talking about anything other than Staten Island Doc so stick to the subject for a change. Stating something is a fact doesn't make it fact-only confirmation confers factual status; as a scientist you should be fully aware of that reality; does the peer review process ring any bells ? Journals don't publish studies because someone thumps their chest and says "this is the truth-publish it as written!"

Posting a Parks Department chart that shows AERIAL SURVEY locations is also meaningless when trying to prove the number of bucks sterilized.

26-Mar-17

airrow's embedded Photo
airrow's embedded Photo
See Doc, once again you've gotten the "facts" wrong; this is why confirmation is important.

26-Mar-17
Glen. Once Pinocchio pronounced "I'm a real boy!" he did so because he no longer had strings. Then he sang a song about it. It's what made him so unique. Duh. Posting a map of aerial survey of locations of deer was not me trying to prove anything. It was for Natureboy's reference. I shot a 37 point buck last year in Zone 12. If you don't have proof I didn't, then it has to be true.

26-Mar-17
Doc - Thanks for making my point so well ! The same concept that applies to your claim of shooting a 37 point buck in Zone 12 applies to WB claiming to have tagged 715 bucks on Staten Island; anyone can make up any claim and say it's true until proven otherwise. Fortunately, in the real world it doesn't work that way.

26-Mar-17
To me, it simply sounds like the ariel count was way off to begin with. Not sure what WB would stand to gain by fudging the numbers. It would be a lot easier for them to have lied and say the job was done after the 250th vasectomy, and move on as opposed to remaining on site and paying the extra costs of doing a more thorough job. When it's all said and done, a scrotum in the hand should be way more accurate than counting colorful blobs from a plane. I also assume there are several people involved with each vasectomy who could corroborate the data. One would also think the ear tags are numbered sequentially, and not go 248, 249, 250.., 715. It should be easy enough for people to verify.

The easier and cheaper solution to the problem would have been to just ship several bears from Avon to Staten Island and let them take care of business.

26-Mar-17
Thanks Natureboy. My point exactly. My example of my huge buck doesn't have a $2 million price tag on it. Believe it or not, there is accountability for grants and taxpayer contracts. Feds and municipalities don't just hand you the cash in a sack and say "Have fun!!" with no oversight, like Glen wants to believe. He has all the accounting and paperwork from the funds from our CDC study via FOIA if any of you want to see it. I'd suggest if Glen is so concerned with WB efforts, he contact someone at NYC to verify, like he did relentlessly with our CDC study. And what did he find there? Nothing.

27-Mar-17
Doc - are you serious about the government accounting for every dime on a grant???? I almost choked on my morning coffee ready that comment. It may be the most uninformed comment made on this site.

1. $25 billion is missing funds - "Unreconciled Transactions Affecting the Change in Net Position," which explains that these unreconciled transactions totaled $24.5 billion in 2003. 2. Unused Flight Tickets Totaling $100 Million 3. $5.8 million embezzled Funds at the Department of Agriculture (I would think this one is pretty close to home for you Doc) 4. Credit Card Abuse at the Department of Defense

The Defense Department has uncovered its own credit card scandal. Over one recent 18-month period, Air Force and Navy personnel used government-funded credit cards to charge at least $102,400 for admission to entertainment events, $48,250 for gambling, $69,300 for cruises, and $73,950 for exotic dance clubs and prostitutes

I think that makes the point pretty clearly that our government do NOT account for every dime, whether it's a grant or just the day to day spend.

27-Mar-17
Bob. That is not grant funding. The “Unreconciled Transactions Affecting the Change in Net Position” that you reference is lack of accountability for $25 billion in Dept. of Defense spending in 2003 under then Republican President George W. Bush. One would think that there would be some accountability for that. And now Republican President Trump wants to cut every other agency and give Defense spending a $54 billion spending hike??? Maybe he should focus on finding that $25 billion his Republican predecessor lost from the Defense Department. How embarrassing!

27-Mar-17
Doc - you're a waste of time. The government losing track of money is the government losing track of money, what difference does it make where they do it?? If they can't account for $25 billion!!!!!! then how could they track every dime of some grant for say, counting ticks in Redding. Hmmmmmm.

27-Mar-17
Doc - Can you explain invoice # 2015-12 from White Buffalo, Inc. sent into the CAES for payment on - 3/1/2015 ?

27-Mar-17
Buh. Sucks that WB was awarded $2 million in NYC taxpayer funds, else all this talk of missing federal money under the Bush administration might be relevant. . .

27-Mar-17
Deflect. Obfuscate.

Maybe taxpayer money directed towards blood sucking parasites is starting to dry up.

27-Mar-17
Can't answer the question so, well,....Just say something stupid. I can just see someone ask him for directions and he would answer - Tuesday! Maybe notme can explain how a mind like that works?

27-Mar-17

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/yH97lImrr0Q

27-Mar-17
I knew I could count on you notme! Is it a coincidence that they're about the same height? Same weight? Same IQ?

27-Mar-17
So there's this bakery in Redding, CT. And man.... they make the BEST friggin pies ever, I mean the best. I mean like you take a bite and you gotta sit down it is so good. So while I'm sitting down enjoying my pie, this guy named Rooster sits next to me and is like, "hey bro, can I try some of that pie?" And initially I'm like "Hellllll no!! Get your own broheim." But then Rooster looks like he's been eating chicken feed all day so I'm like, what the hell. Rooster takes a bite and he's like "Dude!!! This is best friggin pie ever!! I mean like, my buddy Elen Gekstrom would buy like 200 of these pies!!" So I'm like "Damn Rooster, you gotta deal. Let's sign a contract and I'll provide Elen 200 pies in 3 installments for $5 a pie." Now Rooster and Elen and psyched cause these pies are out of this world! So we sign, and i give them the first installment of 100 pies and they LOVE IT and eat up all pies and I got my $500. Then later, I provide the 2nd installment of 50 pies, and I mean they kill these pies like they're antlerless deer in Zone 11 over bait in September. And they're like, "Hey brocheese. Where are the last 50 pies you owe us?" And I know what happened, but am reluctant to spill the beans, but ultimately I have to confess. So I tell them what happened. "So this guy you are friends with is named Caz Chatania hates these pies and doesn't want you to have any. I mean he hates them so bad he mixed in essence of Castor canadensis, Mephitis mephitis, and Vulpes vulpes!" And Elen and Rooster are like "Dammmmmnnn. They smell like ass." I'm like "Dude, I know. But we had a contract for the last 50 pies and your buddy shut me down by adding that crap into my pies." Rooster and Elen ponder a while and realize that the signed contract they had for the 200 pies was legally binding, and despite their buddy Caz putting all that crap in there, they are legally obligated to pay me for the 50 tainted pies we agreed to, despite the fact they wound up In the trash. So I get my $250 for the last installment, and they're stuck with Caz smelling like skunk and without the remaining 50 pies. Sucks, cause it was so avoidable if they let it ride, then they'rd be pie for everyone!!

27-Mar-17
???? Pies??? I think it finally happened. First it's Pinocchio and now he's talking about selling pies. Must be off his meds again. The last time this happened he was saying there were too many deer at great mountain forest. Sad to stand by and watch.

27-Mar-17
Bob. You must be off your short term memory meds.... sorry you can't keep up bro!!!

27-Mar-17
Publicly apologizing to Bob for the low blow. Perhaps you should tone it down a few notches if you can't remember previous threads.....

27-Mar-17

Dr. Williams's Link
You had 4 posts in this one Bob!

27-Mar-17
And were featured in my post by me!!

27-Mar-17

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/qPlKVgSjCyU

27-Mar-17
Next Bloodtrail is going to be pissed at me for crapping on my own thread....

28-Mar-17
Notme - thanks for clearing up what Doc was using as his reference for the pie comments. The link to the cartoon show song provides a window into where Doc spends his free when not on a bow hunting site talking about pies.

And Doc, come on, you need to think up your own jabs. I used the "off your meds" line first. Did you get your PHD by looking at someone else's paper during the tests?

28-Mar-17
I think you guys are overlooking the obvious question.... What is the name of that pie restaurant???

28-Mar-17
N8tureboy, It was the blue colony diner, but once they moved (I think) over towards 84, the quality went down... (Kidding, some dam good pan cakes at that place). :)

28-Mar-17
I used to eat a lot of pie but haven't had one in years. I had a cherry pie just once ;)

28-Mar-17

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/OjyZKfdwlng

28-Mar-17
Had a feeling that was coming

28-Mar-17

notme's Link

28-Mar-17
You tee it up and I'll hit it doc

03-Apr-17
Doc - "Believe it or not, there is accountability for grants and taxpayer contracts. Feds and municipalities don't just hand you the cash in a sack and say "Have fun!!" with no oversight, like Glen wants to believe".

Doc - “if Glen is so concerned with WB efforts, he contact someone at NYC to verify, like he did relentlessly with our CDC study. And what did he find there? Nothing.”

I’m having a hard time understanding why you’re still avoiding accounting for, WB invoice # 2015-12 from the CDC, Redding, CT. ITM study. If this invoice is “Nothing”, why do you keep ignoring it ?

03-Apr-17
I asked my friends to see how many deer they see running around with ear tags, one is a cop I told him dead or alive they see a lot on the side of the road . Just seems like so many .Steve

03-Apr-17
steve - are you saying that the taxpayers are spending over $2 million dollars just to have the deer end up dead on the side of road after all that? Someone please explain how it makes sense to return the deer to the same area where the officials, you know the professionals Doc, have decided to return them??? Why didn't Tony D of WB tell them that returning the deer is stupid???? I know!! Future business to shoot them!

03-Apr-17
Are we doing this again? I don’t know which one that is, but I am going to take a wild guess that that was the remaining balance we owed them at the end of the project that we had legally agreed to pay them at the beginning, you know, back in 2012.

03-Apr-17
WB Invoice (2015-12) is for payment for the project supervisor and wildlife biologist of the CDC, CAES study in Redding, CT. According to the CAES (CFO) Michael Last, the project supervisor of the CDC study was Dr. Kirby Stafford and the wildlife biologist was Dr. Scott Williams.

03-Apr-17
Sooo, what are you implying?

03-Apr-17
Perhaps a detailed explanation of that invoice is indeed in order. What is it that the Project Supervisor does on a study like this one, and how about the Wildlife Biologist?

Go ahead and continue to use your Pie analogy if it makes it easier for you.

03-Apr-17
Please no more pie!! It's 3:14 PM and I'm already hungry as it is. And leave Pinocchio out of it too, he's got enough problems.

03-Apr-17
Jeez Glen. I think I know what you are implying and wow. Just wow. WB was a third party vendor on the project. They invoiced CAES periodically for a total amount agreed upon in an MOU from back in 2012. They didn’t invoice CAES to pay CAES. That is not how invoicing works. WB was invoicing for THEIR project supervisor and THEIR wildlife biologist for the deer removal project only, not for Kirby and myself. Kirby was the Principle Investigator and I one of two Co-Principle Investigators on the overarching Integrated Tick Management project, of which a portion included deer removal. You guys forget that this was not a deer removal project only. I have said this many times, deer removal was a small aspect of the larger tick management study. My crew and I also trapped 1,122 white-footed mice, 117 chipmunks, 29 voles, 25 shrews, 2 red squirrels, a wren, a wood frog, and a grey squirrel over 4 years on this project. We counted 1,455 ticks feeding on the mice. We sampled 1,288 questing nymphal blacklegged tick nymphs and screened them all for the pathogens Borrelia burgdorferi, Anaplasma phagocytophilum, and Babesia microti using real-time PCR DNA techniques.

Chaz, The WB project supervisor supervised the deer removal portion of the Integrated Tick Management study. The WB wildlife biologist shot the deer in the center of the brain and transported the carcasses to Whitetail Solutions’ butcher.

03-Apr-17
We should give the male ticks vasectomies...problem solved!

03-Apr-17
Good one N8, with zircon encrusted tweezers by the moon lighty light..lol

04-Apr-17
Hmmmmmm, all those deer in on the island and no mention of lyme disease in the article? How is that possible?? We all know that the professional biologist with his PHD has tried over and over again to teach us dumb hunters that deer = ticks = lyme disease = dead children = kill all the deer or hire his good friend Tony to do it as a non-profit for $2 million dollars. So someone really screwed up on the island to make that mistake, and they're also letting the deer go after that sterilize them to spread the disease across the island, possibly wiping out thousands of children! We need to warn them.

I'm such a jerk sometimes. :)

04-Apr-17
Doc - "That is not how invoicing works. WB was invoicing for THEIR project supervisor and THEIR wildlife biologist for the deer removal project only"

WB had already been paid for services rendered, invoice 2015-3 submitted for payment on 1/31/2015; for which they billed $95.00+ per hour for sharpshooting (11 deer) for a total of $20,069.22.

WB invoice 2015-12 was submitted 3/1/2015 with an hourly billing rate of $150.00 and $95.00+ per hour for project supervisor and wildlife biologist for a total of $9,236.84 without any sharpshooting.

Doc you refer to a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) between the CAES and WB; it was actually an MOA (Memorandum of Agreement) and it listed 5 WB personnel authorized to perform deer culls. Please list the names of the 2 people supposedly paid in the invoice in question (2015-12) submitted for payment 3/1/2015 ? You also refer to WB being under MOU (contract) in the third year for the CDC study; if WB were under (MOU or contract) why were they billing by the hour in year three ?

04-Apr-17
Glen. No. The project has been over for a long time. You couldn't find the corruption you were looking for and we cooperated fully with your requests. It's over man. Jeez. This is like Trump still talking about the election.....

04-Apr-17
The MOA/MOU, whatever, agreed to pay WB the amount "X" over three years of the project. We did. How WB breaks down invoicing and who they pay for their work on their staff is their business, not CAES.

04-Apr-17
Doc - "The project has been over for a long time"

Actually the project was extended for a year and only recently wrapped up. Would you like to explain why you always refer to it as if it were ancient history then ?

Doc - "How WB breaks down invoicing and who they pay for their work on their staff is their business, not CAES"

As you keep referring to the study as if it were over "for a long time" I'd say you don't even have a good handle on CAES business. As someone with his signature on a good deal of documents related to the study I'd say you should have a much better understanding of what WB is doing with CDC grant money.

Finally, as someone who starts a thread about a topic NO ONE has brought up in over 5 months to talk SPECIFICALLY about a WB project it is very convenient how little you profess to know when cornered.

04-Apr-17
Cornered? Please, give me a break. I called off the deer removal aspect of the project 2 years ago, in 2015. Why are we still talking about it? It’s over. It’s ancient history. Done. Why should it be any concern of mine “what WB is doing with CDC grant money?” WB is non-government entity, not subject to FOIA, and our agreement was to pay them “X” for their services which was approved by the CDC. We paid them “X” and met our terms of the agreement and that is where our contract with them terminated. And actually, the study was extended 2 years, not just one. I am a scientist on the project doing the field work, data gathering and analysis, and writing papers; our Business Office handles the invoicing and financials, you know, the business stuff.

This is no different than hiring a landscaper to work on your property for 3 years. You sign a 3-year contract for a given amount of money, they do the work and invoice you twice a year for a portion of that money, and at the end of the contract/3-years, you have paid them in full the amount agreed upon. Now, do you chase down the landscaper and demand to know what they are spending that money on? No, because that is no business of yours as your contract with them has since expired. You have the MOA provided to you by our Business Office at your request that was signed by CAES and WB that spells out the terms of the financials and that is what we did. Why is this so hard to understand? Because you don’t like it?

04-Apr-17
Doc - as a PROFESSIONAL purchasing manager for many years in the private sector, I can tell you that what you described would not pass SOX (Sarbanes/Oxley Act of 2002)compliance in our company! Every purchase order we issue must clear state exactly what it is we're purchasing, and if the service is made up of several, separate, line items, then the cost of each must be itemized on the PO.

So if I were issuing the same WB order PO and without knowing the exact line items, it would look something like this:

(1) Year one sharpshooters, qty 5 ea at a cost of $95/hr total hours 100 = $9500 (2) Year one WB biologist, qty 1 ea at a cost of $1/hr (over priced) total hours 100 - $100 (3) Year one WB supervisor, qty 1 ea at a cost $2 mil/hr (this is obviously Tony, non-profit) total hours 1 - $2,000,000

Then go on to year 2 and 3. We would also request documentation for hours worked, so a time card would be required, not someone's word. And if the payments were based upon deer killed, we would need 3rd party verified proof (unbiased) such as an auditing company.

That's the real world Doc, not the government spending my money.

04-Apr-17
Did anyone else hear anything? Must have been the wind. Nevermind.

04-Apr-17
"Then go on to year 2 and 3. We would also request documentation for hours worked, so a time card would be required, not someone's word. And if the payments were based upon deer killed, we would need 3rd party verified proof (unbiased) such as an auditing company."

Bob, That may be Stanleys requirement, but a time card is only required if the terms and conditions require an itemization of hourly labor. It's not unusual to have a lump sum agreement which details the entire scope of work but doesn't break it down on a line by line dollar amount. Often if there are many facets to the scope of work, you pay more trying to break every facet out on a separate line and assign a value to each line as if it stands alone. Many facets of a scope of work overlap each other, where it is more cost effective to lump it together. I do this everyday, I'm primarily billing state and municipal agencies. The only time I have to break labor out on an hourly basis is when it's a prevailing wage job and I have to supply certified payroll. even then it's still a lump sum project, with the hours worked by each individual accounted for in order for the state to make sure the people working on the job get paid the published rate.

04-Apr-17
I had a guy once ask me to break down my estimate on his 6 family house..how many sq.of siding,soffit..ft of over hang,rake board...how many trim nails used in the window trim...pay for helpers,dump fees...blah blah blah...i kinda giggled,thanked the guy and never went back..

04-Apr-17
bb - I was being flippant and sarcastic with the WB example, that's why I said Doc would be paid just a dollar(over paid) and Tony D gets $2mil as a non-profit. I wasn't trying to factual.

I mentioned hourly rate because Airrow said "WB invoice 2015-12 was submitted 3/1/2015 with an hourly billing rate of $150.00 and $95.00+ per hour for project supervisor and wildlife biologist for a total of $9,236.84 without any sharpshooting."

And yes, if we're contracting for an hourly rate we require documentation. Simplest example is - we have temps working for us and they need to submit a time card. I issue the purchase orders for these people and it states a certain hourly rate. If we hire them to say, renovate our offices (also a recent job) then the purchase order specifies the work to be done, not an hourly rate.

My point was simply this - the private sector operates with a different set of rules, and I'm basing that comment on what Doc says is OK in the world of government work, and my own personal experience.

04-Apr-17
Not me, I get that on some of these town bids that come out, They think they are being cute by doing so, they aren't realizing I have to treat every line item as a new job from start to finish.

Bob....I should have known :)

05-Apr-17
BBB also stands for Ball Breaker Bob :)

05-Apr-17
Paraphrasing Milton Friedman here:

There are Four ways to spend money 1. Spending your own money on yourself. (this is the most efficient because Cost matters and Quality matters.

2. Spending your own money on someone else. (Not as efficient because while Cost matters, Quality doesn't matter as much)

3. Spending Other People's Money on Yourself. Even less efficient because Cost doesn't matter but Quality matters.

4. Spending other People's Money on Other people. Very inefficient because Cost and Quality don't really matter.

Now let's think about this. Number 1 is what we do with the money that we earn, we pay our bills, buy food etc. Number 2 is what happens when you give to charity, give to others etc. Number 3 is like when the government gives out taxpayer funds in the form of welfare (for example). Number 4, well that's what someone from around here is trying to tell us works so well.

Draw your own conclusions.

05-Apr-17
#4 = government spending. I know that saying by heart.

• Sitka Gear