EBow10 20-Mar-17
PedalPaddleHunt 20-Mar-17
Hunter0164 20-Mar-17
Addicted 21-Mar-17
Proline 21-Mar-17
SloMo 29-Mar-17
hickstick 30-Mar-17
20-Mar-17
After wanting to bow hunt for years and never committing, I finally got my first season under me. While I didn't take a shot, I did have an amazing experience with a nice 6 pointer and am hooked. I'm self learning and appreciate the folks that post on this site as I have learned a lot from the topics and responses.

My question is this - I am using a ladder stand which came with a harness. The problem is the tether of the harness leaves me with little to no range of motion. Can I somehow extend the reach of harness (while staying safe) or should I just spend a few bucks and get a nice harness?

If yes on a new harness setup, any recommendations?

I appreciate the response!

20-Mar-17
For the first few years, I also used the stock harness. I finally upgraded to a Muddy harness and love the thing. You get a better range of motion and I can attach/detach from the tree much quicker - not to mention it is way more comfortable. I'm sure there are a ton of good options out there, but I've had great luck with Muddy.

20-Mar-17
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Muddy-The-Diamondback-Harness/1998212.uts?productVariantId=4173614&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04159846&rid=20&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-73GBRCC7KODl9zToJMBEiQAj1Jgf5nIxdPfpbmzcyaNGLS6FoacRAMD5TKudxmIR0BRSE4aAkNF8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

20-Mar-17
I use the Safety Harness Vest system. I got it because of the comfort, extra pockets, and added wind protection. I like using it. This past season I didn't use it only because I did ground hunting. I know Basspro has a few out for people to try. Ask a salesman for help to try on a few and see what you like best. As for the harness that comes with the stands, toss it out. I don't trust them. I would put it on at the truck, walk out to the stand, and the thing has come apart or loosened up.

20-Mar-17
Like Brian, I really enjoy my Muddy. I've had 2 now over the years and feel good about both. that said, my first harness was a summit seat of the pants and it was good too - in fact, I'm highly interested in Summit's new harness which is much more similar to Hunter safety system, Muddy, and the other similar systems.

I toss the ones that come with stands. I've not used them much, but they consistetntly seem overly complicated to use well. Plus, I dont think any companies use ropes with pursic knots any more in the "saftey harness that came with the stand" package. All the ones I've seen of late use a strap you have to buckle round the tree, just seems cumbersome and certainly like something you couldnt climb with.

I'd suggest investing in a harness, and at least one life line so you can attach it to the tree at hunting height but can "clip in" on the ground, and just slide up as you go -that way you are never unconnected. if you fall, it's still going to hurt, but not as much as hitting the ground!

20-Mar-17
Amen to the lifeline, my feet don't leave the ground unless I'm tied in. I guess it also gives me a little more range of motion at the top, hadn't thought of that. Also that rope has some give to it, so if you fall it would (I imagine) absorb a bit of the shock. I do use the harness that comes with the stand. My only concern is losing a vulnerable part of my anatomy if I fall. But sure would beat being dead. As I've said on here before, I got back into this a few years ago after a 20-some-year break. In the old days there were no commercial stands, and no such thing as a harness. So in '14 when I bought (!) a stand, and it came with a "free" harness, it was one of the happiest days of my life.

20-Mar-17
First timer I'm a short guy and feel my harness is way too big for me so if I buy a smaller one I'd be happy to give it to you. It's out in the shed so I forget the brand but it is a good harness just rediculously big on me.

20-Mar-17
Tree spider speed harness

20-Mar-17
Another vote for a Muddy harness. I used the one that came with a climber for a year. The Muddy fits better, is quick and easy to put on etc.

20-Mar-17
Gorilla g-tac and life line is a must. Be safe.

21-Mar-17
Purchased a Muddy harness last season and I love it. Think I found it on sale at Dick's for around $65. GL and stay safe.

21-Mar-17
Rock Climbing harness. Nothing else gives that much mobility and they are cheaper than any hunting harness.

29-Mar-17
I started out with a muddy which I loved until I tried on a Tree Spider Speed Harness. Light , comfortable, and easy / on off. Freedom to move around quite a bit without restriction. Quiet . Fits inside most Scent Block clothing too .

30-Mar-17
I'd been a faithful SOTP harness wearer for over a decade....until this past season. I started using my rock Climbing harness when I started doing the treesaddle thing. Its hard to switch back to the SOTP.

as soon as the weather warms up I'm going to be experimenting with repelling out of the tree instead of climbing down.

however...for a beginner...Id recommend any one of the harnesses recommended above over the one that comes with a stand

• Sitka Gear