Contributors to this thread:
MichaelArnette 28-Mar-17
MichaelArnette 28-Mar-17
Lost Arra 28-Mar-17
lou sckaunt 29-Mar-17
swampokie 05-Apr-17
Okiebowdoc 28-May-17
21-Mar-17
***Legislative Alert*** SB0634 authored by Senator Josh Brecheen has been introduced which reads: “The Board may promulgate rules and standards for the application, use, and sale of warfarin-based pesticides to be used for exterminating feral swine.”

Upon reading the label for the product, we have some concerns. Just a few of the precautionary statements are: 1) This poison is hazardous to humans, domestic animals and pets. Protective gear must be worn when retrieving carcasses which have been poisoned.

2) This product is toxic to fish, birds and other wildlife. Dogs and other predatory and scavenging mammals and birds might be poisoned if they feed upon animals that have eaten the bait.

3) The product may not be applied directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the high-water mark.

4) Water can be contaminated when disposing of equipment wash waters.

5) Product can only be used in non-crop areas

6) Hogs must be conditioned to accept the poisoned feed and to open the lids on bait dispensers.

7) Livestock may not be grazed in pastures where the bait has been used for at least 90 days after the poison has been removed.

8) Poisoned animals must be disposed of properly. Carcasses should be buried deep enough that all of the carcass is at least 18 inches underground.

9) This chemical in this poison is known to cause birth defects and reproductive harm.

This poison is indiscriminate and will kill anything that eats it and/or the carcass of anything that eats it. And because of their sloppy eating habits, there is no way to assure that only hogs will eat the bait! Please call your State Senator and tell them you do not want to see the wildlife in our state poisoned! This bill has already passed through committee. Apparently nobody read the warning label.

28-Mar-17
Good ridence! If there was a more ecologically friendly way to remove this invasive species I would be all for it but there isn't.

I was recently in South Central Oklahoma helping a landowner remove some hogs. I've grown up in eastern Oklahoma where hogs are not common and I can go out and find many acorns on the ground as of right now. Down south the hogs are so bad there are no acorns to be found! Think about The impact this is going to have on the next generations forestation!?

28-Mar-17
Also, Warfarin is a very common anticoagulant, it is safe in small doses. Essentially it is poisoning hogs with large levels of aspirin

28-Mar-17
Poison usually has too much collateral and unknown damages for my taste.

I think it's a bad idea that is doomed to fail. I think the hogs are like the coyotes. Do whatever you want if it makes you feel good but don't expect to eliminate them.

29-Mar-17
dispicable

05-Apr-17
Elimination is not the objective. It's control and manageable numbers we are shooting for

07-Apr-17
You're absolutely right swampokie. Trapping is by far the most effective method for eliminating the highest number of hogs. A study by Texas A & M proved trapping to be more effective than all other methods combined. Part of the reason trapping is so effective is because there is a market for the feral hogs and their meat (which is shipped to Europe for human consumption). The use of poison will eliminate the incentive to trap hogs, and thereby not do anything to increase the overall number of hogs removed from the wild. Fortunately the bill is not going to move forward. The Dept. Of Ag did make a big step toward feral swine control by buying corral traps which they will "loan" out to soil conservation districts, etc. an my opinion, this is a far better solution than the use of non-discriminate toxins.

28-May-17
Get rid of them all whatever it takes if you don't have them now just wait you will and then you will want them gone they have ruined some good deer hunting spots for me .

• Sitka Gear