CaptMike 23-Mar-17
HunterR 23-Mar-17
CaptMike 23-Mar-17
Boomer1 23-Mar-17
Mike F 23-Mar-17
albino 23-Mar-17
21-Mar-17
3-21-17, WI STATE JOURNAL, p.A5,.....

The paper published a brief article about last year's DNR CWD test findings. Reportedly, 441 of the 6,039 deer tested were positive for CWD resulting in a rate of 7.3 percent. This is lower than the 2015 rate of 9.4 percent. In total, since 2002, 199,812 deer have been tested with 3,575 positive resulting in an overall rate of 1.7 percent. The above information is taken directly from the article in the paper.

Just in case you missed it, thought I'd send this info out along with the following: the 7.3 percentage rate is not evenly spread across Wisconsin. Depending on where you hunt the rate may be greater or lower. There are pockets of concentrated CWD occurrence and areas where CWD has not yet been discovered. Also, one thing that is known is that in the host animal CWD is always fatal. There is no known cure for CWD.

21-Mar-17
Thank you for passing this on.

The only thing I would like to add is they are wrong in stating that CWD is always fatal. There is no live test for CWD, therefore to date therefore it is not proven that there are no survivors of CWD. As with any disease, there are some survivors, which make the gene pool stronger.

Just as the Dr. telling you that you have 3 months to live and you are still alive six years after being diagnosed.

Never say never.

21-Mar-17

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
This was in WON this week. A small insert in an article with five things on how to stop or slow CWD. I'm speechless now.

21-Mar-17
OMG, that almost seems like somebody "pranked" them. LOL!

21-Mar-17
Fake news?

21-Mar-17
"Report sick looking good deer"

WTF??

You just know some dummy is going to screw this up and report a good looking sick deer, mark my words it'll happen!

21-Mar-17
...............Only in Iowa!

21-Mar-17
Sounds like you may have to do an age interview before harvesting one. lol In all honesty anything that a DNR comes up with for stopping CWD or curbing it doesn't really surprise me anymore. It does give me a good chuckle though.

23-Mar-17
It is in WON because they report news in case some did not know that. Because they reprint state or organizational information the paper should be belittled? That is like prosecuting guns for crimes. Hope that is understandable.

23-Mar-17
Huge fail.

23-Mar-17
"University of Wisconsin-Madison researcher Stacie Robinson and her colleagues looked at tissue samples of harvested deer collected for six years in the core CWD area to identify a set of genes (genotype) that appear to make some whitetails genetically resistant to CWD. Statistical modeling showed that deer with a particular genotype were four times less likely to contract CWD, and if they did become infected, they lived 49 longer (8.2 months) than deer without the genotype.

Robinson and her colleagues estimate that about 41 percent of all deer in the original CWD core area have CWD-resistant genes, which they will pass on to offspring. If natural selection follows its normal progression, deer that are CWD-resistant should become dominant in a few hundred years"

" There is no known cure for CWD.".....Nature?

23-Mar-17
Boomer, +1

23-Mar-17
Boomer +2

23-Mar-17
Masterbait, you licking at the widow again?

23-Mar-17
"Why don't you deer farmers heed the warning and eliminate your practices that are making things worse, if you want to farm deer, please fence in your properties, so the real hunters have something left to hunt in the future."

It must suck living the life of a grumpy miserable tool taking cheap shots at landowners because you don't have crap and are jealous. Pathetic.

23-Mar-17
Yes, he is very apparently a jealous man. Probably spent every extra penny in the bars and now in retirement he has nothing. Hey Master, do you post from your Obama phone? LOL!

23-Mar-17
"please fence in your properties"

We try but you jack wagons are always posted on our fence lines.

Considering it takes about 1 1/2 yrs from infection to test positive for CWD, a majority of dead deer will never test positive. Chances are a good amount of hunters in CWD areas have eaten an infected deer. Since I'm probably infected, my will requests me to be buried in a ziplock bag wearing a tinfoil helmet.

Of course, buried surounded by good bait seed so in 10 years, when my ziplock deteriorates, my CWD is gone and all the little critters benefit from my rotting corpes' bait pile with roots.

23-Mar-17
This isn't the first disease that has affected a wild animal. Resistance to diseases grows in every generation and eventually the disease will run it's course. Man needs to learn to keep their fingers out of something we have no control over.

Are any of us susceptible to having CWD cross over to humans by consuming venison? Hard to say. Do I want mankind meddling with the disease and trying to duplicate it in a lab to protect humans? I don't think so. Why? Because CWD hasn't found it's way into humans yet and I don't want man to be the reason that the disease mutates and crosses over.

In my mind there are too many "Cry Wolf" stories brought to our attention. Is this the fault of the media? No, I don't believe so. I point that finger at the governmental agencies meddling in an area they shouldn't be.

Yeah, it;s that finger!!

23-Mar-17
Come on now. Maybe that works in IOWA. lol I try to shoot every 6 year old buck I see. I wonder how much some of these guys get paid.

• Sitka Gear