pondboy 22-Mar-17
Z11Hunter 22-Mar-17
Clink 22-Mar-17
Clink 23-Mar-17
Will 23-Mar-17
Tajue17 29-Mar-17
clink 01-Apr-17
21-Mar-17
Hey, Folks. I'm new to Zone 11 and decided I'm not going to let being in another state for college keep me away from hunting. How's the public land hunting specifically in Zone 11, Bourne/ Plymouth area? I'm hoping to find somewhere with some turkeys to keep me busy this spring.

Before I go out and scout random pieces I figured I'd throw a post out there to help me know what to expect. Are most pieces heavily hunted? By no means am I on here looking for coordinates, just curious to know what it's like to hunt up here in the Southeastern part of Mass. Thanks

21-Mar-17
Hi Clink, Welcome to this site. There are a great bunch of folks here that will share and help you out. I would start scouting now for a turkey spot for this spring. Watch out for ticks, they are terrible this year. Let's Go

21-Mar-17
Thanks for the reply. Actually scouted one spot today. 7 ticks...

21-Mar-17
Good luck here in MA! Some of these guys on here get deer and turkeys year after year--so that's got to be a good sign. I know nothing about zone 11, but took a walk today in the paradise that is zone 10, and came out tickless for a change. Regardless, agree with Let's Go. Ticks are terrible every year.

22-Mar-17
Hi Clink! Welcome aboard! Where are you coming from? Ill ditto the others - great group on here, bunch of folks who love the outdoors, and that common thread leads to some great discussions.

Get some Permithrin (Sawyers bug spray is what many of us use - walmart may have it, Dicks does and BPS / Cabelas does as well) and spray your scouting clothes. It will last through a wash or two - dont put it on you, just your clothes - and will keep the ticks off. Worth the effort to apply and let dry, as well as the cost. Cant suggest it enough.

In terms of your area though, I dont know the hunting down there at all regrettably - though many on here do. Hopefully they will chime in.

22-Mar-17
Welcome Clink! I don't know zone 11 either, aside from a small patch of woods in my in laws back yard, but I will say there are turkeys everywhere around there, so you have definite opportunities. Good luck out there!

22-Mar-17
I would suggest looking at Myles Standish state forest. lots of turkeys, but also lots of hunters. Ive had some good luck in there, you just gotta find the right spots

22-Mar-17
I agree with pondboy and the Myles Standish comment. I have hunted deer in there and always see plenty of turkey tracks. To avoid other hunters, walk further in. The entire place is loaded with trails and dirt roads, but you cannot drive on the park trails/dirt roads. Good luck.

22-Mar-17
Thanks everyone. I'm going to see what I can find. Look forward to sharing and reading posts on here.

23-Mar-17
Does anyone know if you have to pay to enter Miles Standish?

23-Mar-17
Clink - I think you do if you go into certain areas. For example, you may need to pay to park at one of the swim areas during the summer (roughly memorial to labor day)... But much/most of it should be free access.

29-Mar-17
I live a mile form MS,,,,, i can show you a spot I killed a few deer to get you started,,, its public and I have so many areas now its a shame if nobody is in these spots.. I can tell you though MS is lots of deer if you know their patterns because its very thick in there with scrub oaks, lots of ticks, and don't accidentally end up in the pheasant or quail areas and be up a tree in full camo next to one of the fields when the blasting starts, and avoid at all costs during shotgun they push that place hard but if you don't mind that scene and your in the right spots they send deer right to ya.

01-Apr-17
Tajue17, PM sent.

• Sitka Gear