BOHUNTER 23-Mar-17
retro 23-Mar-17
Redskin 23-Mar-17
BOHUNTER 23-Mar-17
smokey 23-Mar-17
retro 23-Mar-17
Helgermite 24-Mar-17
22-Mar-17
Any suggestions on a south east Wisconsin eye doctor that understands archery and bowhunting. I can't see anymore. A couple of years ago I went in and that doctor had no understand of , looking through a peep, having a pin near but a target far, and all that , with glasses vs. contacts vs. lasik. She just didn't get what my concerns were. So I just said the hell with it and kept squinting. Now its to the point I got to go in. Any help is appreciated.

22-Mar-17
One tip I can give you is if you wind up wearing glasses get the Crizal lenses. They are thinner and more lite weight so your glasses won't slid down your nose. They are also coated so rain drops bead up and are a none issue, and also prevent day time and night time glare. Sounds like a commercial for Crizal, but for outdoors people they are great, but you pay more too. I have worn glasses my entire hunting career and I have to say these lenses helped alot. I have no issues with seeing my pin and my target clearly. If you are concerned try a peep with a clarifier lense. Hope this helps!

22-Mar-17
Good topic. What type of glasses would work better with peep. Should one have larger rather than smaller lenses? Type of bi-focals, tri-focals, or progressive lenses?

22-Mar-17
My eye Dr. here in Stevens Point knows archery and what it takes to get it right. It depends on how you anchor everything else. He set me up with a pair of glasses that work for bow my bow and gun. On thing that I did this last time was change to plastic frames because they metal ones got cold. Also, get anti glare lenses. Nothing like sunlight hitting yout glasses at the wrong time.

My glasses are big because I use different parts of the lenses for shooting. I also had him install a cheater square for tying hooks on the bottom of the lense.

A good eye Dr. that understands all of this is hard to find. Good Luck!

22-Mar-17

South Farm's embedded Photo
I know a guy! He's really good. I've attached a couple pics of some satisfied clients. Good Luck!

22-Mar-17

22-Mar-17
On a serious note, I got Lasik (mono vision where they just do your dominant eye) and it works well for bowhunting. Had glasses and it just got to be too burdensome...not to mention the frames are cold in the late season.

22-Mar-17
Having needed glasses for many years, I agree with what has been said. Getting bigger lenses will help. When you are at anchor, you will not be looking through the middle of your glasses but rather to one side, near the bridge of your nose.

I once had an issue with this with smaller lenses but going to a larger pair took care of that.

22-Mar-17
I know an optometrist in the Fox Valley area that is an avid bowhunter and I've known him for decades. He's not in your area, but would be a great choice if you do not find someone closer.

22-Mar-17
muskybuck, who is it?

22-Mar-17
rershooter-Sent you the name as a private message.

22-Mar-17
After a lifetime of wearing glasses and contact lenses, I just had Lasik done. If your a candidate check into it.

23-Mar-17
Retro are you happy with your lasik results? I would possibly lose my job if Lasik was unsuccessful. Been wanting it for years, but can't pull the trigger. I'm in my 50s and have worn contacts since 8th grade, sucks!

23-Mar-17
Very happy. 20/20 vision the next day. You will still need reading glasses. I was reluctant for many years to get it done. Its a little nerve racking having someone mess with your eyes for sure. I had mine done at the Eye Clinic in Wausau, WI. Would recommend them to anyone. If your considering it, I would go in for a consultation. They will answer any questions you have. You'll get literature explaining the procedure and the risks so you can determine if Lasik is right for you. Good Luck!

23-Mar-17
One other option to consider is using a "no peep" device. It's a fiberoptic that confirms eye alignment with your sights. MOunts below your sight on the bow. Also detects any torque that a Peep can't detect. Takes a while to get dialed in, but eliminates the "can't see thru my peep" experience. Have been using one for 10 plus years, practice out to 60 yds - can't shoot any further in my yard due to trees....arrow groups seem equal to anyone using a peep. My older brother got sick of his peep and went to one. Is very happy with it. Don't see it talked about too much, surprised it isn't more popular.

23-Mar-17
Thanks Retro, glad it worked out good for you. I do need a consultation, thanks again!

23-Mar-17
I wear contacts while hunting and carry reading glasses if I need to read something close up. I also will sometimes use only one contact so I can see both close and far. My glasses are progressive lense and are coated antireflective/antiglare and I only use them when not hunting. I am like some people and not a candidate for Lasik and I know some of the people that the Lasik only lasted a short time. The anti glare on the lense to cut down on glare that you see from oncoming lights like you get when driving at night but not to prevent the glare (reflection) that is seen bouncing off the lens.

edited post.

23-Mar-17
Smokey, I dont know anyone that the Lasik only lasted a short time. Interesting that you know many......

24-Mar-17
I would recommend that you chose frames that allow the frame to fit as tightly toward the nose as possible. Early in my eyeglass and archery career I found that frames with raised nose pads were usually adjusted to allow the frame itself to sit with too big of a gap between your nose and the frame. Now I've found that most frames can be adjusted to fit close to the nose. However if it is touching your nose that isn't good either. It will tend to fog up worse than if there is a small gap. A lot of this goes toward getting an optician that understands Archery requirement also.

• Sitka Gear