Vids 23-Mar-17
BowhunterfromPA 23-Mar-17
Paul@thefort 23-Mar-17
Glunt@work 23-Mar-17
Jaquomo 23-Mar-17
Glunt@work 23-Mar-17
BowhunterfromPA 27-Mar-17
23-Mar-17
Hi Everyone, I am 22 years old and I just accepted my job offer in Denver. I am going to be moving in early/ mid-June and know absolutely no one in Colorado and it is a lonely feeling. I am an avid hunter and fisherman from the North East specializing in white-tailed deer. I am not looking for anyone to give me their spots but I am looking for some advice and maybe some friends/ mentors that can show me the ropes on how to hunt colorado. As of now, I am only looking to get into White-tailed deer hunting because I will be moving to eastern colorado and I have no idea how to Mule deer hunt or Elk hunt. I was wondering how the point system works and if you guys/ girls think I will be able to acquire a Whitetail tag this year. I am a hunter under the motto let it go and let it grow so I try to refrain from shooting smaller animals but I would love to be able to sit in a tree stand this up-coming season.

Thank you for your time, Anthony

23-Mar-17
Welcome. Your biggest ongoing hurdle will likely be access for whitetails. We have plenty of guys wanting to chase them and a pretty limited amount of habitat compared to back east and much of it is private. There are some decent public areas but preference points will be an issue.

There are some over the counter whitetail tags but they are low population areas mostly west of I-25. Start networking right away looking for some spots. Dont miss applying this year for deer and whatever else you can afford to at least get a point. Eastern Colorado is a huge change from the Northeast but there's plenty to keep a guy that hunts and fishes busy and you also have access to Nebraska and Kansas. I would also suggest elk hunting ASAP - might as well get that first season under your belt and you don't need to be an expert to have a great hunt and start the addiction. You also have access to more good publc ground for elk and muleys than you could explore in a lifetime within a few hours drive.

23-Mar-17
As a non resident for the first 6 month of coming to Colorado you will be purchasing a non resident licenses for all big game species this season, so keep that in mind. Nonresident deer = $389, elk= $644, pronghorn=$389. As Don pointed out, 90% of the land east of Denver is private so permission to hunt is needed and sometimes hard to get. The State does have some good river bottom properties but to hunt they, one needs to apply for those limited draw hunts my April 4 and then it take a few years to draw those limited draw licenses. Very few hunters are able to hunt white tail deer every year because of the supply and demand and lack of access. Nebraska is a good option as they do have Over the Counter tags available and the non resident cost is reasonable. When you get settled, join the local and state bow hunting clubs and associations for net-working. Welcome. Paul

23-Mar-17
Sent you a pm, Anthony.

23-Mar-17
I did the exact same thing 13 years ago. I didn't know a soul here and it was lonely at first but it was the best decision I've ever made.

I don't know much about the whitetail hunting in CO as I travel to the midwest for that, but I'll give you a few pieces of advice. 1. Get your residency switched over right away, hopefully you can hit the six month mark before your season starts this fall and you can pay resident tag fees. 2. Go ahead and apply for preference points for anything you think you'll want to hunt in the future before the draw on April 4th, you will pay a bunch up front but will get almost all of the money back. Colorado is a points game so get them when you can. 3. IMO, mule deer and elk hunting is waaaay more fun than whitetail hunting, don't wait too long before you give that a try. The best way to learn it is to experience it.

23-Mar-17
Hey everyone, I am in a similar situation as Anthony. I am 23, from Pennsylvania and recently accepted a job in the Eagle county area. I am focusing on getting into elk and mule deer hunting ( I have bow hunted whitetails back home for 5 years). Any thoughts or recommendations on areas that I would have good chances in drawing a mule deer tag? I know that the learning curve will be steep, but I am eager to get out and start learning! Thanks, James

23-Mar-17
James, you do not have to go far, as you are in the center of some very good elk and mule deer hunting.

23-Mar-17
Eagle County has good hunting in every direction. Poke around the CPW web site statistics page a bit and you will have no problem finding a Muley tag. Pretty sure 444 and 34 are drawable tags. You can probably find a unit that can be drawn 2nd choice and then you will have a tag this year and a point for more options next year.

23-Mar-17
Anthony, PM sent

23-Mar-17
Meant to type you will have NO problem finding a tag - fixed it.

27-Mar-17
Don, Thanks for the information. I have called cpw and am thinking I will apply for unit 44 or 45 as first choice and my second option will be 34, 35 or 36.

• Sitka Gear