albino 24-Mar-17
CaptMike 26-Mar-17
albino 26-Mar-17
CaptMike 26-Mar-17
albino 26-Mar-17
23-Mar-17

Huntcell 's Link
Is this for real?

Guy claims he used 18 points to get a zone C tag. How can you make a mistake like that , he could have drawn any zone including his beloved zone B. No disrespect to Vets or the disabled but I would be uncomfortable to be around a person that made that kind of decsison. There drawing C with no pervious preference points.

Copied off of craigs list: "As aDisabled veteran. After 18yrs of applying i finialy received a kill permit for the wisconsin 2017 season, zone C . i was hoping for Area B where i have area to hunt. I dont in area C . can anyone help me out? Willing to pay reasonable cost for bait station and stand. Im retired due to active duty injuries , but can help bait if needed. I live in Adams Co. "

23-Mar-17
18 points should guarantee you a zone B hunt. I think there is something suspicious about the posting if he admittedly wasted 18 years to 'settle' for a C hunt.

23-Mar-17
I have never seen that many points on the drawing list. I am thinking that it is a hoax or a typo like some of the craigslist posts.

18 points can get you a kill tag in any zone.....

23-Mar-17
There was a person that had 19 points when I checked it a year or two ago.

24-Mar-17
Hate to say it but I have 18 pts. Somehow I have always found other hunts to be on at that time of year, and so this one has been set aside.

Done a number of bear hunts during this time also, just not here in WI.

I do plan on using it next year, assuming I don't draw my Shiras moose tag in WY. I also have 18 points for that one!

24-Mar-17
Captmike, curious as to which zone you are looking at in WY for your Moose tag. I currently have 14 points and hope to draw in 2019. Outfitted or DIY hunt?

24-Mar-17
I have 16 points. Haven't bear hunted since 2000 because it interferes with elk hunting.

I've shot 4 bears with my bow and for some reason chasing bugling bulls around in the mountains is a lot more appealing to me than shooting a "trained" bear with a mouth full of donuts. That's just me though...

24-Mar-17
JackPine, originally I was going to hunt the Bighorns because I've spent a lot of time there. However, in the last few years the moose population has been going down in that area. I know Huntin Fool has identified a couple other areas that I will consider. At this point, I've made no decision. If I were to hunt the Bighorns I'd do it myself. If I end up somewhere else, I will start looking for an outfitter.

24-Mar-17
I understand that things take priority over others. It's good to have a back up plan, but why keep applying if you aren't going to hunt them? Or take a tag and donate it to a Purple Heart Vet?

Not trying to start anything, just curious.

24-Mar-17
Capt, I thought a guide was required in the Big Horns. I haven't looked in a while. Was because of Grizzlies, I think. Now sounds like Wolves are thick there. I'm getting too old to go for points any more. Have 13 Elk points in Utah but may not draw while I can still walk. I ran into a guy hunting Moose while I was Elk hunting down by the 3 corners. He was using a recurve and it was only the second tag he had drawn in his life as a resident. The first tag he shot a Booner with recurve. Lives in Rock Springs.

24-Mar-17
I thought about donating my tag and I might do that. I never planned on building 16 points, it just kind of happened...

It's not that I hate bear hunting but if I have to choose, elk hunting wins out every time.

I can retire in a couple years and I'll probably bear hunt again then when I have more time. I'd like to shoot one with a recurve.

24-Mar-17
I never planned on it either but once I had started getting them, I saw no harm in continuing to do so.

24-Mar-17
No Grizz in the Big Horns? Must have been because of being a wilderness area? Yes, Bear & Turkey hunting In Wi. are great for retired folks. Unless you do your own baiting.

24-Mar-17
Cloud Peaks in the Big Horns is a wilderness area closed to NR that have a hunting license in there pocket. You can go in the Cloud Peaks as a NR tourist but not as a hunter. Wy law that only apparent benifit is for outfitters.

If you know a resident they can take a NR hunting in wilderness areas if they follow certain guide lines and paper work.

24-Mar-17
Understood. I did the elk thing when I had time and was younger. Miss it, but think I would end up dead in the mountains. I like baiting the bears with the young hunters and the older guys too.

We all enjoy our own things, just never thought about accumulating that many points.

24-Mar-17
Thanks Huntcell. Been a long time since I hunted North of the Interstate there. I drew unit 32 a few years ago then my buddy drew it the next year. Were the same Elk I hunted in Colorado 201. Sit on top of Pine Mountain & see Colo & Utah. Saw some nice color faze Bears in that area also. (trying to segway back to Bears)

26-Mar-17
Albino, when I said "by myself" I meant without a guide. Have a buddy who lives in Story, WY that would be with me, giving me access to wilderness areas. Although, lots of Moose in the non wilderness areas also.

26-Mar-17
Ah, Thank you. I didn't know how that worked. Just remembered that there was something about the Big Horns that kept me South. That would be much prettier country up there.

26-Mar-17
That is for sure. A very pretty area. The town of Story where my buddy lives is a really nice little town, basically at the foothills of the Bighorns. Took a 5 hour ride through the mountains last summer and saw 17 moose on that ride. Of course most of them cows and calves.

26-Mar-17
Yes, that is the kind of area I would prefer to hunt. Elk unit 32 was more like high desert compared to that.

• Sitka Gear