Swampy 26-Mar-17
albino 26-Mar-17
albino 27-Mar-17
Willert88 27-Mar-17
PB in WI 27-Mar-17
Drop Tine 27-Mar-17
albino 27-Mar-17
25-Mar-17
Gonna tell the truth here . Most of my life I've almost always gotten lost in the big wood's . Not great with a compass either . Last time I used one I came out 4 mile's from where I went in . LOL So my question is I think it's time for a GPS . Any suggestions on a good one's that won't break the bank ?

26-Mar-17
I swear by the Garmin 64 s. I think that's the model. It's not a touch screen, which I can't stand. I understand you want an affordable unit but you get what you pay for. Just my 2 cents.

26-Mar-17
Try craigslist for a used one.

26-Mar-17
You likely already have a GPS unit on you when out and about. Could put a GPS app on your phone and have one less thing to carry.

26-Mar-17
The problem I see with using your phone for gps is if you lose cell service wouldn't the gps also not work?

26-Mar-17
Depends on the phone. Android has an actual GPS chip that doesn't need any data or cell service. No idea about Apple phones.

26-Mar-17
Quick Google search said Apple phones do not need service for the GPS to work.

26-Mar-17
garmin , so simple and easy to use even I can use it. I missed that whole electronics bus am am very illiterate when it comes to these things, but I picked up my garmin on sale for 200 dollars about 5 years ago and love it. All I know how to do is waypoints and backtrack but that is all I need. My son and grandson love it also and they acually know how to use it.

26-Mar-17
I have a medium priced Garmin that works well for what I do. I recently gave up my flip phone for a smarter than me phone. Both my Android system phone & my wife's I phone work well as a gps. I still lose coverage with any of them under a canopy of trees or even fog. If I am out West I carry a compass for back up. They always work. Only problem out West is the compass points to magnetic North which can be 10 to 20 degrees off depending how far North you are. In Wisconsin we are right on for magnetic North. Should always have some kind of back up power for the phone or GPS in areas where your life depends on it.

26-Mar-17
Any Boy Scout manual can explain to 12 year old boys how to use a compass proficiently . I can understand the superiority of the GPS but I"ve always used only a compass.

26-Mar-17
I have a Lowrance I Finder Hunt. Great unit, but I very seldom ever use it anymore. One thing is it has way too many bells and whistles I would never use, nor do I know how to use them anyway. I use a compass most of the time.

26-Mar-17
I use a Garmin Etrex Legend HCX and used Trimbles for work. When out and about I always carry a compass along with my GPS. Batteries don't fail on my compass. Just for the record too, Wisconsin is not spot on magnetic. It is close though but the declination is still not true north. Declination can be found at the base of topo maps or online search.

26-Mar-17
All I use is a Bushnell backtrack. Only has 3 points but it gets me back even in the mountains. Under $50. I love it

26-Mar-17
Garmin 60CSx. Theres very few places it wont pull a signal, even in dense canopy. To me this is the most important feature. Its worthless if it cant lock on.

26-Mar-17
Thanks guy's for the suggestion's so far. I gonna need one .

26-Mar-17
I looked at my GPS & it is a Garmin E Trex 20. Mine does lose signal in thick canopy as does my buddys e Trex 10. Not great for the track back part or early bear baiting. I had an old Garmin 12 before. No bells & whistles but it was like a brick.

27-Mar-17
Almost forgot on the magnetic declamation. I should have said in my part of Wisconsin it is right on the zero line. I believe it is as much as - 4 degrees off in Door County. It is + 20 degrees off in Seattle Wa. I do have one compass that you can set for the difference depending where you are.

27-Mar-17
Garmin 64s with Wisconsin chip. Expensive but I love it. Shows property lines with names of owners. Great for marking spots while scouting.

27-Mar-17
"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." - Daniel Boone

"I'm lost, but I'm making good time." - PBinWI

I am pretty good with a compass thanks to Boy Scouts. I elk hunted Utah years ago and the compass and a topo map kept me from being lost. I now have a cheap Garmin etrex Legend that I carry too. I have found that if there is a heavy tree canopy it will frustrate you sometimes but overall it is good.

27-Mar-17
I have the Garmin Astro 320 which is similar to the 64s except the 320 has dog tracking ability.

When tracking dogs July-Sept heavy canopy has not been an issue. With the raised buttons it's easy to use with heavy gloves or bare hands. The menu is easy to navigate and master on the unit.

I had one of the touch screens and returned it. Seemed way more complicated and having to take my gloves off in the winter to operate with half froze fingers would be a real turn off.

27-Mar-17
That would be great to not have canopy be an issue. Especially out West where you go over a cliff with a "go to" (straight line back) I'll have to check that out. I did get the one year subscription from ONX maps on my phone for Wi. That shows all the land owners also & I'm looking for new spots this year. Great for property lines also.

• Sitka Gear