albino 30-Mar-17
albino 31-Mar-17
Trapper 31-Mar-17
happygolucky 31-Mar-17
Crusader dad 31-Mar-17
happygolucky 01-Apr-17
albino 01-Apr-17
28-Mar-17
I had no idea the we are doomed thread was going to go on and on forever. I just wanted to share the experience that I observed. One that irked me. But I see there is a lot of negativity on that thread and I wanted to counter that.

I think it's time for a positive thread.

Within the last couple of years I have directly influenced a half dozen people who were hunters but not bowhunters to start shooting a compound. I think that is a win.

But most importantly my partner at works 11 year old son after months of pestering his Dad got a mission compound (one that will grow with you ) and now shoots a winter 3d league. His father then bought a compound for himself early this year.

We are going to shoot some 3d this summer and I can only guess there will be a hunt or two in their future.

Any other positive stories?

28-Mar-17
My son and I wil be taking my niece and my cousin up to the farm this fall for their first bowhunt! Both of my bil's sons will also be bowhunting for the first time this fall. I believe my niece (14) will be hooked for life and I know my nephews will also be bowhunters for life. My cousin (18 female) is questionable but she asked me to take her so there is hope for her too! That's 4 new bowhunters in my family in one year.

I think we will be all right too!

28-Mar-17
Kevin way to go !!!! I bought my three grandkids small bows and will start them shooting as soon as it warms up a little. If they show any interest I will advance them to better bows.

28-Mar-17
I sold my bow last year to a coworker and he's been shooting a bunch. Heck of a shot, just need to get him out in the woods this year. I also have 3 little ones with another due in a month and a half. My boys already have bows at ages 7 and 5, and my daughter is still too young at 3 for one. Although I have a fatherly gut instinct she will be the best hunter out of them all! Who knows with the 4th!!!

28-Mar-17
Real bowhunting will not die, it will however suffer a severe loss of participation. It already has in Wisconsin. Join Compton's today!

28-Mar-17
There is hope & a bright light ahead for bowhunting with human powered bows. Sawtooth, bowhunting has taken a hit because of x bows, so has gun hunting & hunting in general. I know some that have quit in disgust. Look at the numbers. Few new hunters from x bows. They came from bowhunting & gunhunting. Total numbers down. Youth hunters & women hunters starting with x bows with out pressure from adults? About the same amount as Florescent Pink picked up. Kids in NASP and other youth programs shooting compounds & traditional. Sky rocketing. Life is good.

28-Mar-17
I just choose not to let another person's weapon of choice bother me. Their decisions don't impact me at all. I don't judge others either by their weapon of choice. My goal is simply to make sure my son has hunting opportunities and enjoys his time in the woods.

28-Mar-17
My archery club signed up 9 new members this year. Of course, we dont allow crossthingys unless 65 or physically impaired. We are growing as a club, we get 75% participation on workdays, lots of kids involved. Life is good! Kevin, you need to come back out this year.

28-Mar-17
Let me know the weekend. We had fun last time.

My win for today was my seven month old daughter ate venison for the first time from the buck I killed last fall. That made me smile.

28-Mar-17
Open every Thursday Night from June 1 on till Sept 14th.

WBH shoot Sunday July 16th

Wild weekend Aug 26th & 27th

My girls love venison, way to start them out!

28-Mar-17
Happy, does that mean that if your son wanted to kill a deer with the newfound air gun you'd be ok with that too? Where does it end? It's our responsibility as parents to raise our kids to NOT take the easy way out. Not judging, just trying to find where you draw your line.

28-Mar-17
Kevin, +1. My boys love it as well. While the wife was away for the weekend, we had backstraps and veni fajitas. Now we have to wait for her to have one more girls night out so we can have the last few steaks on the grill. Then kill a couple more next year and send my wife away again so we can eat it!

29-Mar-17
Happy, it does affect you. It affects all of us when a superior weapon takes a much higher percentage of Deer out of the woods. That is why guns only have a 9 day season. I don't mind sharing but lets make it equal.

29-Mar-17

albino's embedded Photo
albino's embedded Photo
Granddaughter at WBH convention Cabelas booth. Must be their atonement. lol I think we are going to be OK.

29-Mar-17
Ever wonder why the muzzle loader. Season. Is after the high powered rifle season. ? Make sense of that one!

29-Mar-17
"Happy, does that mean that if your son wanted to kill a deer with the newfound air gun you'd be ok with that too? Where does it end? It's our responsibility as parents to raise our kids to NOT take the easy way out. Not judging, just trying to find where you draw your line. "

My son shoots a compound but what he shoots is totally his choice. His weapon of choice would not matter to me. What matters to me is that he's spending time in the outdoors and that we are spending time hunting together. It is not about the weapon and any kill is secondary too although I like it when he is successful.

My son's weapon of choice would not define him as a person regardless of what others might think. Titles are 100% meaningless except to people who think they are better than others due to their weapon of choice in a frickin' hobby nonetheless. My son is a hard worker, great student, and he loves fishing and hunting and we spend a lot of time doing both. I personally don't see him ever switching from a compound (not a real bowhunter as only the trad guys are) but I would never stop him if that is what he chose to do. In the big scheme of life, it just doesn't matter.

29-Mar-17
"Happy, it does affect you. It affects all of us when a superior weapon takes a much higher percentage of Deer out of the woods"

Gunna disagree. It does not affect me at all. I still get to go hunt when I want and if I kill a deer, great. If not, great. I personally don't care if I ever kill another deer. My son has killed 3 (2 with the bow and 1 with the gun) on our land in the 2 seasons we've owned it. I have killed none and have watched many come and go. My family uses a maximum of 2 per season but 1 is actually plenty.

I care about my time in the woods and not what weapon other people use or what size deer they shoot. None of that impacts me one bit.

30-Mar-17

albino's embedded Photo
albino's embedded Photo
Well, I think it would affect you if the Season was shortened like is happening in some states. You would have less time to not shoot Deer or have less Deer to watch come and go. My neighbors to the North use x bows & I get to watch the wounded Deer come & go & the people not bothering to ask to trespass & track their prize. I will attach a pic of one. Screwed up my hunting during the rut. All he had to do was call. I would have let him track & not wasted my time in that spot. Had him & the Deer on a couple cams. Hit the Deer in the neck. Must not teach arrow placement in xbow school. Was walking around with the thing loaded to maybe get a quick but shot. Was smiling ear to ear every pic I got. I guess he was happy to cripple a Deer that took 5 days to die. I do respect your opinion though.

30-Mar-17
You are superior,Albino. No archery hunter makes a bad shot. God forbid, "screw up your hunting" You had it "on cam". Rightfully, it was your deer.

Although you believe you are a crusader of a cause, your ignorance of your post only hinders it.

That ignorance forced crossbows down our throats.

30-Mar-17
OOPS, I was trying to be more positive. I do hope he gets those hood strings caught in his xbow string though.

31-Mar-17
BOOMY, No it was not a deer I would have shot. You seem to read a lot into posts. Who would that make the Ignorant one? Yes it does piss me off when people trespass on property and screw up my hunting. God forbid. And you think you know what I believe? You seem to be clueless. I wait all year for the rut. I should read into your post that that is the kind of guy you are? Yes all Hunters occasionally make bad shots. Gun, bow , xbow. I certainly never claimed to be superior. I use a compound. If I hit a deer & it went on to the neighbors I would ask permission to track it. I did have 4 Bucks on cam with bolts in them. None were mine. I have 26 cams. If I thought every deer on them was mine I would have quite a herd. Your last statement doesn't even make sense what so ever. Great post though.

31-Mar-17
I have friends in the U.P. that jumped on the Crossgun band wagon 7-8 years ago. They all migrated back to compounds. Just like a lot of compound shooters here went back to stick bows. That's a good trend.

31-Mar-17
albino, I am going to disagree again. Even if the season is shortened, I'll still get plenty of time in the woods to get my peace and solitude. The weapon my neighbors use, and I have no clue at all with that as I have yet to run into any of my neighbors, makes no difference to me and won't impact me one bit. If they are successful hunting, good for them. I'll have a beer with them in celebration over a clean kill. There are plenty of deer to go around.

People all hunt for different reasons. People don't have to agree with anyone else's reasons for hunting. Like Ronny, posting above, has always said, hunt legal and everyone wins. Of course he's struggled with that himself ;).

31-Mar-17
Happy, that is a rediculous statement. You're ok if our BOW season is shortened just so someone else can get their rocks off using a shoulder fired weapon during BOW season. That's like leaving the rotten apple in the bushell knowing it's going to ruin the ones around it.

01-Apr-17
Crusader, I don't think the sky is falling. I don't believe the season will be shortened and even if it is, we get what 100 days as it is. I bowhunt like 4 weekends a year. That is plenty for me.

albino, please point me to all the states who's archery season was shortened due to xbows.

Note again, that I am not an advocate of xbows, but I don't feel their usage is impacting me one bit and until I am personally impacted in a negative way, that opinion won't change. Nor will I ever judge others by their weapon of choice.

01-Apr-17
Hap, Hunt legal. Great idea. Trespassing is illegal. I have no problem with my neighbors being successful with a clean kill. Ethics does play a big part in it all. That is why my average shot in Wi is 13 yards. I do have a problem with people that over shoot their weapon. Whether it is a xbow, gun or human powered bow. I do not pretend to know all the States seasons or all the current legislation that other states have but you could check what Ny, Wa, Mo & Kentucky are doing. You obviously have your own opinions on the subject & the way & reasons you hunt. If that works for you Great.

• Sitka Gear