Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
mainecheesehead 28-Mar-17
Fivers 29-Mar-17
skookumjt 29-Mar-17
Hoot 29-Mar-17
Two Feathers 29-Mar-17
28-Mar-17
when do we find out where/how many antlerless permits are available for 2017?

29-Mar-17
After the NRB meeting.

29-Mar-17
All of the CDAC's have made their preliminary recommendations for this year. The recommendations are available on the DNR website, as are all of the deer metric information that was presented at the first meeting that the Councils based their recommendations on. Starting on Monday members of the public can go on the DNR website and take a survey as well as make comments on the preliminary recommendations for any unit in the State. The final recommendations will be made at meetings in April after the Councils have a chance to read the data and comments from the public.

Once those final recommendations are submitted, they will be reviewed by the DNR wildlife staff and submitted to the NRB for their approval. Once approved, hunters will be able to print out their tags for the units they are hunting in.

29-Mar-17
I was at last weeks CDAC meeting and they voted to reduce antlerless tags next year, not by much but at least they're reduced. I'm done with their surveys. Last year 80% voted for no doe season, but they had one with 10,850 permits available for both public and private with most for private. Two of our surrounding counties voted for no antlerless and they had buck only. I know there are other equations with the CDAC, such as Ag, tourism, forestry. The person from tourism said it was one of the worst years for our county during deer season. No one wants to hunt around here when they're not many deer. I heard a lot of complaints from businesses, taverns, motels, No hunters! Even with all the doe tags available no one hunted or if they did they left early to head home because of lack of deer. The DNR said the kill was up for our county as it should be following a buck only season. Higher buck kill last year according to their statistics, but many are very skeptical of their stats. I would've like to seen last year as buck only as I feel the deer haven't rebounded that well after the winters of 13 & 14, plus predation by wolves, coyotes and bears. I was told we have over thirty deer per square mile now. Again I'm skeptical. One thing was brought up often was to split the county for management.

29-Mar-17
I had 22 in the field behind me the other night. A new record since I've been living here.

• Sitka Gear