Duke 13-Apr-17
RJN 13-Apr-17
buckmaster69 13-Apr-17
RJN 13-Apr-17
buckmaster69 13-Apr-17
Swampy 13-Apr-17
Bloodtrail 13-Apr-17
01-Apr-17
I was fortunate enough to hook up with a 11 year old young man, who wants to shoot his first turkey. He just graduated from out Hunter's Safety program and did very well for his age. I was impressed. So I asked him if he was willing to go and he jumped at it!

Today, we'll be working on a bunch of different stuff getting ready for the hunt including some shooting.

I cannot wait to get in the woods with him and call up some birds!

Who else will be going?

01-Apr-17
We will have 32 out next weekend for our learn to hunt

01-Apr-17
Holy Cow Bradbear! Good for you guys and the folks that are making this happen!

So very good to hear!

01-Apr-17
I'm not against the youth hunt but it should end at age 13. Also pushing the season back a week because some youths get cold is a joke. 1st season will be like 4th this yr. I've been watching Tom's strut for over 2 weeks now.

01-Apr-17
RJN- Why should this hunt end at age 13 - Just curious. Could you explain.

Also, yes, the opener is a week later. I did not know that was because kids get cold?

Where did you find that information, I would like to see that. Interesting!! The season is pushed back one week, so you say 1st period would be like 4th period. How could that be, as the difference between 1st and 4th period is (2) two weeks not (1) one?

It really doesn't matter as I have filmed birds well past the end of our season here in WI. They gobblers are still strutting and gobbling here.

Youll find a slew of guys very happy with the week later as the weather "may" be nicer. I know quite a few that don't take 1st period because they don't know about the weather. I myself have hunted in the snow 3 inches deep for the 1st period.

Thanks for the post and insight!!

01-Apr-17
3 yrs of the youth hunt is enough and the majority agree that I've talked to. Nobody is forced into applying for 1st season and know that it's a risk of bad weather if they do. My opinion is the seasons should start earlier instead they are pushed later. I heard it was because kids got to cold in the blind.

01-Apr-17
rjn +1

01-Apr-17
RJN - Thanks for the reply! A question(s) or two and a short closing -

Why is "13" the magic number? Are you assuming that every kid will hunt 3 seasons? What about the 14 and 15 year olds that never had anyone to take them on a youth hunt and now at 14 have a "guide" to help?

As adults are we being "too selfish" - Does anyone really believe that all the "youth hunters" will shoot ALL the gobblers? Should we allow 14-15 year olds - but they only get (1) one day to hunt?

Who on this site, can honestly say that a youth hunter has screwed up their hunt? Some of my fondest memories come to me when I started mentoring my son at 10 years old. He hunted with me till age 15 and each year shot a gobbler. He hunts on his own now....

One day I'll be gone from this earth.

My only son, will have a few pictures and a memory or two of his "dear ole' Dad". I pray to God that some of those memories of us, involve some "pepping" spring peppers, a turkey blind, an early spring morning and the thunderous calls of a roosted Gobbler, just before the fly down!

There is clearly nothing more important, more sacred in our great outdoors, than family when it comes to hunting! Thanks!!

01-Apr-17
This year ended up with a double whammy: 70 degree weather in February to melt the snow and the season was pushed back a week. Toms are getting frisky due to all of the warm weather, I don't think you can blame the youth hunt for that. I thought I read that the season was pushed back so the last season included Memorial Day weekend. Either way, there are usually plenty of leftover tags to hunt multiple weekends if you choose to do so. Sacrificing 2 days to let the kids go first shouldn't have an impact on your ability to fill a turkey tag. We need to recruit more hunters and youth hunts are a good start.

01-Apr-17
Jackpine +1

01-Apr-17
Jackpine +2

01-Apr-17
I for one am very excited and happy to know that all of the acreage I have available to myself and my son (along with my bil's and their kids now) is going to be fully utilized by one of our bowsite brethren to take a kid turkey hunting. I don't care what age they are! I just want to see pics of a dead bird.

01-Apr-17
It's our 15 or 16th year about the same number each year

02-Apr-17
Holy Cow Bradbear - outstanding - very cool!!

04-Apr-17
Ill be out with one. Should be a great youth hunt for these kids. Good luck fellas

04-Apr-17
I loved our old season structure. As a bowhunter, nothing better than the early first season before the Toms start to get all henned up. Plus, I really am not into hunting the hot weeks of mid to late May. That is fishing time. Why do we always have to have our DNR screw up things that aren't broke? Few people remember to attend the spring hearings plus we are all busy then and don't want to take the time. Some sort of hunter survey would be a lot better way to review possible changes. Hey DNR, don't change what isn't broken!

04-Apr-17
I am not taking anyone out, but have been asked to teach 20 girl scouts this weekend how to shoot a long bow,,,,, my buddy said, you can shoot, so he asked me a 2 others he knows,,,,, now I have to figure out, how to teach the girls, but I was glad to help,,,,,,

05-Apr-17
Razor - You da man! I think that is great!!

05-Apr-17
Thanks Bloodtrail and others for what you do for our youth and first timers! Nothing wrong with youth hunts until kids are 18. Our society is changing and providing kids more positive experiences, especially hunting ones, is the best way to go. BC

10-Apr-17
we had a good weekend killed 22 birds out of 32 hunters

10-Apr-17
Am I missing something? I thought the youth season was this weekend, April 15th and 16th.

10-Apr-17
Learn to hunts is my guess.

10-Apr-17
Learn to hunt is correct. Can basically be set up for any weekend

10-Apr-17
Good job on the hunt bradbear! Impressive!

10-Apr-17
Cannot wait till Saturday! We have a 11 year old young man set up. He just graduated Hunter Safety and he's been to the house twice to shoot and watch turkey video's and practice our calling. NOW. all we need is a bird....LOL

11-Apr-17
Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I wasn't exactly sure what the learn to hunt program was. Excellent job bradbear, sounds like an excellent weekend. Good luck to all the youth this weekend.

11-Apr-17
In general Learn to hunt program is a DNR program, its open to any age group not just youth, you have to have less then 2 years turkey hunting experience, have to do a classroom night(like 4 hrs with set requirements) , then get to go out and hunt with a mentor. Its a free program, we do pizza at the classroom, a luncheon at Governor Dodge Park the day of the hunt, give the hunters a bag of goodies(calls, face mask etc) . Here is out Facebook with some of the stuff. This is a short idea of what it is. https://www.facebook.com/SWWisconsinNWTF/

11-Apr-17
Looking and hoping for some rainless weeknd days to hunt. Saturday not looking to good - Sunday..might be the day!!

12-Apr-17
Well every year I am shocked to hear griping about the youth hunts. Its either turkey, ducks or deer. Regardless of the people that gripe, I take my daughter out for all the youth hunts and have been doing so since I was able to mentor her at 10 years old. To blame youth hunts for damaging anything regarding hunting is absurd.

The least of all of these youth hunts would be the turkey hunt. Complaining about youth(the future hunters and conservationists of this state) getting two extra days for their already short turkey season(6 days is short when kids have school and sports) is unreal. Not to mention most of the younger youth hunters more than likely go with their parent(s). So for me, I like to try and get her bird for the youth season as every year. Cause I don't know how many more days she will be able to hunt, maybe 2 (the sat and sun of her week) due to school and sports. Every year no matter what week we pick, we always draw the same period, so for me to put myself before my daughter hunting isn't going to happen, therefor having the extra two days helps me ensure she gets her bird. I could care less if I get mine.

We need to get more kids into hunting PERIOD!

People that complain about youth hunts and the kids getting special treatment must not have any kids, and or are very selfish/greedy, and or if they do have kids must be the guy who only lets his kid shoot something he doesn't want or doesn't take them hunting at all.

For anyone against these youth hunts I want more explanation and reasoning...I've yet to see solid evidence its hurting anything in the woods regardless of the species.

To close this rant out...I thought it has been proven numerous times that the Toms behavior and mating habits are all controlled by the photo period, which does not change from year to year and does not change due to the weather. You might see better action depending on weather, but the breeding/strutting etc happens around the same time every year no matter what your calendar says.

12-Apr-17
Deadeye the only one who puts down a youth hunt is Neverbait. Pay no attention to him. He is as worthless as they come, nobody cares for him and he has zero credibility as a hunter to this site.

12-Apr-17
I guess I don't see the need for youth hunts. Youth hunts are like participation trophies in other sports, it is a feel good moment. Does it hurt hunting, no. Does it really bring more hunters into the sport? I would love to see the numbers on kids, from non hunting families, that continue to hunt. Do we really need a special couple of days to take a youth hunting? Why not take a kid hunting every time you go? We have youth hunts, youth antlerless tags, learn to hunt, etc. Now I see they want to be able to go multiple years in the learn to hunt program. I'm not against these hunts, I just don't see the need for them either. When do they learn to compete in life?

12-Apr-17
I am all for the youth hunts, but changing the seasons, I think may not be the best, but what do I know........

as a waterfowler, I assisted on the youth duck hunts,,,,,, although it was warm on most openings, it was a good time, to assist in target Identification, type of ducks,, and how they work, how to hunt over the dog, and on an on,,,,, you can not teach that in a field day or class room.........

12-Apr-17
Do we NEED special youth hunts, no. However I do appreciate them. I have a teenage daughter that is in every school activity, club, and event possible. Her time is very limited, and turkeys happen to be her unicorn. The youth season sometimes gives us an extra few hunts to try and get her first turkey. This weekend we are lucky as she has nothing going except woods time with Dad. Well we will have family over for Easter on Sunday afternoon. But that gives us Sat all day, and Sunday morning.

12-Apr-17
I am for the youth hunts and neither of my sons participate any more. I like the fact that it's just for the kids. Is it needed? Not for most but maybe for the few with selfish parents.

12-Apr-17
Youths 10-13 should get an all season tag but no early youth hunt. 14 and older they are old enough to go on their own. Someone might start turkey hunting when their 60 but they get no special season. The season should start 4/1 for 2 weeks of archery/crossgun, then 4 weeks gun.

12-Apr-17
I also am for the youth hunts. My kids never had it..... but me and my grandkids will. I think the seasons are great just the way they are. DNR has a 85% approval rating for the spring seasons.

12-Apr-17
Youth hunts in WI should be 10 (ten) - 17(seventeen) - those are "our" youth! Why we stop at 15 is ridiculous and by the way - who came up with FIFTEEN? Heck in WI your still a juvenile till 18 years of age. What happened to the 16 and 17 year olds at the WDNR?

14 and older is old enough to go alone. Huh?

Perhaps/maybe - but with no drivers license - a litter harder? Ride a bicycle, maybe? Get a ride from Dad? AND lack of experience!! Hell I'm in my 50's and still learning!!

14 and older? My boy is 17 and just started chewing gum and not tripping while he walks! If son is hunting I'm going/Dad hunts...son goes. Daughters 25 now - having babies!

So now we are comparing 14 year olds to 60 year old men!! What?

You may like it RJN - but many here don't like hunting turkeys in insulated coveralls, heaters, face masks and gloves as well as Sorel boots! - That's why in 2015 they voted for a later season structure!

Personally - I don't care...but I have hunted in my insulated coveralls and a heater on youth hunts AND 1st period.

Our turkey season in WI has only improved. Hunt till noon and quit. Hunt till 5PM and quit...now we hunt sun up to sun down - finally got that right!

We have some awesome period set up - so we are a week behind. We pick up a week in the end. I'll hunt that last week and most likely kill a bird. Maybe!

Youth hunt is SO much more than just hunting. It's a memory builder and an opportunity for the kids to get out with a family member or family friend, bond, learn about turkeys and HUNT!

Just kids - JUST HUNTING! Does not get better than that!

12-Apr-17
Giving youths a 6 week continuous season is more than enough opportunity. Also what would be wrong with a bow only season the 1st week of april. I actually believe it would increase license sales. I've been seeing pics of dead Tom's for weeks in other states.

12-Apr-17
RJN... why would I want 2 weeks to bow hunt when I can have 4 or 5 now.

12-Apr-17
An early season, bow only 4/1 for say 5 days, then 5 weeks any weapon.

12-Apr-17
RJN - You can bowhunt all the period if you want - why would we need a "bow" only! God, I would think you would have a tough time selling that one - but I like it, but just believe there wouldn't be enough interest.

I think one of the arguments would be - hell, ya got all the periods now if ya want to bowhunt!!

I know its not about bowhunting as much as it is to get out early!! Like it - don't think many interested -

12-Apr-17
I have the first season now. How about gun hunters come up and say 5 weeks gun then 5 days any weapon. I think the seasons are fine the way they are. Remember 85% approval rating.

12-Apr-17
RJN - look at the weather down in those States your watching - Yes, the weather has been nice here, but you certainly cannot bet on that each year!!

Southern States have always been earlier!

As far as the kids - WHAT is the problem with 2 stinkin days for children? Your asking for a whole 5 days just so you can hunt early?

Seems a little selfish perhaps here? It's 2 stnkin days!!! One...two...done!

12-Apr-17
I just see turkeys strutting almost every yr starting 4/1 and wonder why we can't hunt them at least with a bow. As far as youths, it doesn't bother me either way but if it were up to me a continuous 6 week season would be more than enough. Just my opinion

12-Apr-17
My boys do not participate in the youth hunt but I am all for it! im excited to see some pics of kids with birds that weigh a quarter of what they do. It's two days, if you don't like it, move.

12-Apr-17
I don't believe in it , but if it gets one life long hunter out of it I guess it's worth it . But than again I don't really give a darn about a bird anyway .

12-Apr-17
I don't believe in it , but if it gets one life long hunter out of it I guess it's worth it . But than again I don't really give a darn about a bird anyway .

12-Apr-17
Swampy...not a turkey man?

13-Apr-17
I agree with you, RJN... I have no issue with a special youth hunt and in fact am behind it, but why not allow them to hunt all seasons with their tag? That way, a couple poor days of weather don't hamstring them and there's no glut of pressure.

I really don't like the overall season getting pushed back to accommodate Memorial weekend hunting when reality is that there are so few turkey hunters still getting after it that late.

13-Apr-17
I would even pay a $10 fee for a bow/cross gun permit 1st week of April for 7 days. No 2 day youth hunt but youths can hunt all 6 weeks with a $5 license the 1st 3 yrs they turkey hunt. All weapon season starting 2ND week of April for 5 weeks depending on which week you draw. 2 Tom max per hunter.

13-Apr-17
I don't see the advantage for sportsmen other than helping the kids and maybe you getting a first season. WHY would you change anything with the DNR that has a 85% approval rating. I am a archer and I think we get enough breaks the way all seasons are now.

13-Apr-17
I would think a one week bow hunt for turkeys to kick off the season would be a blast. Some yrs it can be cold, some warm. It would increase opportunity for everyone, youths and bow hunters hunt 1 st week of April with $10 permit. Just my opinion, I love turkey hunting either way. Lots of birds in our area this spring.

13-Apr-17
I have a 7 day archery hunt right now. 1st season. Its by my choice. I don't care if its cold rain or snow.

13-Apr-17
Bloodtrail don't hunt turkey's , get enough of them with the car .

13-Apr-17
Well at least your getting some turkey meat Swampy!

Yes, I like the structure now and I don't see many folks falling in line for another structure change, maybe I'm wrong? I would enjoy it as well and wouldn't be against it.

I think the reasoning behind having the "Youth Hunt" is the designation to the 2 day hunt. A time we celebrate hunting with youngsters and them alone. A time where 100% of our focus is on them. Could we do it during the regular season - God, I would hope so.

I think the idea of the "Youth Hunt" loses something when we mix together during the regular season. It is designed that way it is to give the kids "first whack" at the birds that have not been hunted yet that year. I think that's a cool idea.

Again - it's only a 2 day hunt Gentlemen.

• Sitka Gear