Hogs
Florida
Contributors to this thread:
Florida Bowhunter 01-Apr-17
Robertfishes 02-Apr-17
Florida Bowhunter 02-Apr-17
Robertfishes 02-Apr-17
01-Apr-17
Hello guys. Yes, lately this Forum is being silent like our beloved woods¡¡¡ I am wondering if someone of you has had penetration problems through the shield of a behemoth boar. I watched some video on a huge boar that his shield stopped the arrow and I am wondering what would be the right balance between arrow weight vs bow speed.

02-Apr-17
My opinion is based on my experiances both good and bad.. When bow hunting, If its a big boar I now pass on it.. I have had arrows pass thru boar hogs and also seen them penetrate 2 inches and fall out of large boar hogs.. I quit shooting the big boars years ago.. What works best is a heavy arrow (600 plus grains) and a razor sharp cut on contact broadhead. I can't remember killing a boar over 150 lbs with a bow, because I try to shoot the smaller ones. I hunt with both compounds and recurve bows. with a heavy arrow my 54 lb recurve shoots around 150 fps, my 52 lb compound around 225 fps.

02-Apr-17
In first hand, thank you so much for your answer and share you experiences with us. My current setting is 64 lb compound with 450 grs arrow weight. In my short life as a bowhunter I never experienced any problem with this combination (I came from rifle), I took several wild boars, 2 were an old ones, but none of them have the broad shield. The biggest boar I arrowed was about 170 lbs and the arrow did their job, not pass thru but give me enough penetration to recover it. Robert, I am wondering if a heavy arrow with weight like 500grs and higher or 350grs - 400grs (based on right spine) would be enough for the most common American big game excluding big bears, moose and elk. Which one would be an acceptable combination...? Regards

02-Apr-17

Robertfishes's Link
On a hunt 20 years ago one of my friends shot a large boar with his 85# carbon extreme and a 2312 aluminum arrow with a 125 grain Thunderhead .. the Shield stopped his arrow.. I was about 1/2 mile away and I also shot a huge boar hog with a 60# Fred Bear Takedown recurve, I was using thin AFC carbon arrows with Bear Razorheads..my arrow also failed to penetrate??? Both arrows had about 2 inches of fat/body fluid and no blood. .the next day I shot a 120# sow and arrow went thru her and was stuck in the dirt and buried into a tree root. On the way to my truck I shot a 75# sow, again the arrow blew thru her..That is when I pretty much quit shooting the big boars with a bow, I'll still shoot them with a rifle though. A lot of big boars have been killed with bows but some of them have extra thick shields and those are the ones that can give penetration problems.

• Sitka Gear