Paul@thefort 02-Apr-17
OldFart 02-Apr-17
OldFart 03-Apr-17
Treeline 03-Apr-17
Rock 03-Apr-17
Treeline 03-Apr-17
OldFart 04-Apr-17
01-Apr-17
1. What's going on in S32? For 2017, there are 7 RAM licenses.

2. How's G16 now? I have a cabin in that general area (S of Jefferson)

I have to consider this too! I'm now 75 yrs old. Might very well be hunting these alone. I drew a tag for G16 before and had to quit hunting to go check on my sister back in W TN. She had been falling and couldn't get up. When I arrived in TN, she was on the floor. With the crazy draw system, I just might draw. It's the same system for moose. I've been putting in for a cow moose. For several years, many that have been putting in for only half the time had better chances than I did. One year a person who had only put in for half the years I had, the draw odds for him were over twice my draw odds. THANKS Ray

01-Apr-17
I know 32 well, unless you're a complete stud, or hire a guide to hunt the lower stuff, I'd avoid that unit at your age.

If killing a sheep is your goal, I'd put in for a unit that isn't so up and down such as 34.

02-Apr-17
how many sheep points do you have for archery?

02-Apr-17
I have 3 + 4 for both sheep and goats BUT with the system as it's been my luck as stated about moose above, no telling.

03-Apr-17
Any other ideas?? I did harvest a ewe in S32 but that was ten years ago. My experience with G16 is stated above in my original post. I have to look at this two ways. If I don't hunt these species soon, I won't be ever hunting them. On the other hand, it's going to be a challenge at my age.

03-Apr-17
The weighted points don't seem to mean much for sheep, goat or moose. 3+0 has the same chance of drawing as 3+20 - it all depends on the initial random number they are assigned. CPW should consider moving the mark up to 5 or even 10 preference points before the weighted points start.

Maybe you should look at some of the late sheep hunts to try and get one in the rut. They tend to be much more accessible on those late hunts. Maybe look at one of the hunts out in the plains? The country can still be rough, but not as rough as hunting the high country. It also appears that they added a couple of archery tags in S34?

I don't have a lot of experience with goat hunts (only one hunt in G13 that was pretty tough), but would think that one of those off Mount Evans would be pretty good. You can drive to the top and the goats seem to be pretty tame.

Good luck!

03-Apr-17
Treeline, I would not recommend G4 (Mount Evans) as Goat population is way down, they have had a desease in that herd that they have never seen in wild Goat population before and it took out a whole age class (killed off most of the kids). When the Hwy is open you cannot hunt within a 1/2 mile of the Road which will put you into some really nasty and challenging country. For 2017 there are only 4 tags spread put over 3 seasons, so if someone puts in and draws they should have the unit pretty much to themselves.

03-Apr-17
Good info, Ron! Based on that, not sure that there is an easy hunt for goats in Colorado. If you do draw, OldFart, you may want to consider getting some assistance for the goat hunting - at least some horses to get you up to where the goats live.

Good luck!

04-Apr-17
Decided. I put in for G16 for first gun season. Probably better weather. I realize their hair will be longer later but I'm far from seeking perfection. Looked at CPW stats and chances are extremely low anyway. I put in for a preference point for sheep.

Thanks for help! Ray

• Sitka Gear