BruceP 05-Apr-17
badjuju 06-Apr-17
MaBow 06-Apr-17
Will 06-Apr-17
buckmas12 07-Apr-17
Jebediah 08-Apr-17
Jebediah 08-Apr-17
02-Apr-17
Just bought my 2017 license. Hunt/fish/archery/muzzleloader was $58. This is...a little pricey in my view. Anybody know resident prices in other states? Who knows, maybe this is actually a bargain.

02-Apr-17
Its about the going rate for Newengland. Nh fish/hunt package is 56. Ct fishing/ archery hunt combo is 65 plus a 19 dollar firearm hunting liscense.

02-Apr-17
$58 to be able to fish year round and hunt from mid October until the end of December seems like a deal to me. $.16 per day!

02-Apr-17
What if you only hunt one species,and only with a bow? I think that deserves a discount! Also what if your unsuccessful? In that case shouldn't we have a rebate program? I mean at least a free t-shirt or hat or something! I also think Moons should pay double! ;-)

02-Apr-17
Ok 16 cents per day makes me feel better.

02-Apr-17
Some states out West you can pay $1,000's just to get a tag for animals like big horn sheep or moose.

03-Apr-17
Fish/hunt, archery and muzzleloader is $104 for a NH resident. My license was $210 in NH this year when all was said and done. I'd say you're doing pretty well. I can hunt in MA as a non resident for about the same it costs me to hunt in NH as a resident.

03-Apr-17
Bargain as compared to other states. Just put in for a Colorado archery elk draw tag $654.00.

04-Apr-17
I used to pay around 450.00 a year for several states now its down to about 200.00 unless I do a trip,,,, I think my mass tag this year was 73.00 total which is a complete rip off for what you get in return,,,, good fishing state but horrible state for Hunting & Trapping in my personal OP of course.

04-Apr-17
I hunt 4 different states so my licensing costs have really gone through the roof. Last year I was thinking about it though and although out of state license costs around the north east are getting really out of hand and stopping some people from hunting other states, I have no issue with $58. That's really pretty cheap. You gotta think how little funding goes to the fish and game dept in this state from the government. Our license fees are a huge source of funding and really do make a very big impact in terms of preserving what we love to do. Just one way to feel better about it anyways.

04-Apr-17
Bigwoods you nailed it on MDFW. Maybe I sound crazy, but I'd be willing to pay more if the funds were going directly to land access and improving research/stocking/outreach programs.

Sure, I'd love to see more deer and a shift in how deer mgmt is set up here to be a bit more "lets see a lot of deer" focused, overall, those folks work hard for us to be able to enjoy the outdoors. The majority of them hunt and fish like we do, good folks over there. If things can make the job they do better for us, the environment, and our ability to recreate in it is of enough value to me that I'd pay more.

MDFW - if you are reading this don't raise rates just for me :), I'm just saying I'd pay more if I had to because the long term value is definitely there.

04-Apr-17
Yeah people definitely need to consider the fact that it isn't the fish and game department creating the crappy herd numbers and regulations... its the people above them. Our license fees are the #1 best way to preserve what we still do have with the exception of just simply making donations. The Fish and Game department are on our side, for the most part anyways.

05-Apr-17
I also hunt multiple states and the cost of tags and travel can add up. Paid 593 for my elk tag and bought points for eight years in order to draw it. It's just part of doing business in order to hunt these other states. What we pay here at home is a bargain on the wallet but the hunting isn't as good as other places in the country. I hunt both every year, here at home and far away.

05-Apr-17
Will, next time you go to get another hunting/fishing license you'll probably see the option to volunterilly pay more, just like MA income tax...

06-Apr-17
NH Resident: combo fish/hunt $56 Saltwater fish $11 Archery lic $32 Muzzleloader $16 Pheasant $31 Bear $16 Turkey $16 Waterfowl $11 Spec. deer archery $26* habitat fee $2.50 total $220.50 (includes online fee of $3)

*the special archery lic. is basically an additional buck tag for archery only. hardly go for bear, pheasant, or waterfowl but keep getting the lic just in case. so if I skipped all that and just did the combo (fish/hunt) + saltwater + archery that would be $100. But since muzzleloader is during the rut I'd miss those weeks unless i got that tag too which brings it up to about $120. that would give me 1 deer tag for firearm and 1 deer tag for archery. NH runs their tag system differently than MA, tags are for season not buck/doe and seasons are regulated by date/region.

and didn't see fmoore's post above :-(

06-Apr-17
I paid over $500 for a Kansas tag and license. $58 is cheap.

06-Apr-17
Bruce - I do donate a bit extra most years. Sort of like when I shop at cabelas, I always let them "round up" my bill to contribute the "extra" to conservation efforts. It's worth it to me (the MA one in particular), because I want my kids to be able to have access to the outdoors - and their kids too.

07-Apr-17
$58 to trout fish year round with what I see as some of the best trout stocking in the northeast and to be able to bow hunt some of the best properties in the northeast as well. I would put that value above $200

08-Apr-17
Interesting perspectives, thank you. I think you guys have the right idea. Here's another money number for you: I read that it costs something like 5 cents or 50 cents of electricity to keep a cell phone charged for an entire year. I found that interesting.

08-Apr-17
But that 5-cents per year is misleading in a way, obviously, because it ignores the cost of the phone. If you had told me 30 years ago that down the road people would walk around with super-fancy phone gizmos in their pockets I would have said you were crazy.

• Sitka Gear