hickstick 11-Apr-17
bowandspear 12-Apr-17
hickstick 12-Apr-17
bowandspear 12-Apr-17
hickstick 13-Apr-17
04-Apr-17

bowandspear's embedded Photo
bowandspear's embedded Photo
At the end of 2016 deer season I made a promise to myself to get into traditional archery for upcoming season. After couple months if searching I made the 4 hr round trip rude last weekend to pickup what I thought was a great deal on a longbow. I'm lucky enough to have my hunting buddy very experienced at longbows who can mentor me. He owned 3 by this bowyer. This one is 66" 52@28. I am loving it. I am a long long way away in skills but looking forward to making some arrows with him later this week and putting the compound away after turkey season. It's pretty cool to be able to make contact with a bowyer and discuss a bow he made over 20 years ago. The journey has begun.

11-Apr-17
Is that a green mountain?

12-Apr-17
Hickstick, no. The bowyer is Bob Watkins Traditional Archery Taxidermy in Millbury Ma. I spoke to him by phone a couple of days after picking this up. Due to age he is no longer making bows but still does taxidermy.

12-Apr-17
lol...couldn't see that on my phone...lol I know bob well. he used to cut my brothers hair all the time until he retired from that too. great guy. I learned a lot about hunting (and trad shooting) from him.

Welcome to the wonderful world of stickbows! its addicting...soon you will probably loathe the days you carry a bow with training wheels into the woods. :)

12-Apr-17
Thanks Hickstick, sounds like Bob has been in many trades. I love this Viking longbow and addicted to shooting it every day. Amazing how long I can shoot a longbow without tiring as compared to compound. I won't have the skill set ready for turkey season but after that it's all trad for me. Hope you don't mind if I pm you with any questions .

13-Apr-17
PM away. I've just about seen or done it all...made, shot, hunted fully primitive selfbows, wood/bamboo lam bows, and even a glass backed bow. Been shooting trad since 1999. (And before compounds were popular in the late 70s/early 80s)

• Sitka Gear