MathewsMan 07-Apr-17
Treeline 07-Apr-17
04-Apr-17

cnelk's Link
See link

04-Apr-17
Ouch, not my area but ouch!

04-Apr-17
Good for the deer, but will upset some hunters. Most hunters that put in for those units understand the dynamics and will be in favor of the cuts to bring the deer back quicker. It would really help if the CPW would either lift the lion quotas or at least raise them. Hopefully there will be additional pressure put on coyotes this spring and summer to limit the predator mortality as well.

05-Apr-17
We need to be able to hunt lions starting with the opening of Archery Elk season. Win Win for CPW. Bring in more $ and very little impact. Like having a bear tag just in case, and by chance we kill a few more lions in the process...

05-Apr-17
In the lion data unit that overlaps these units, hunters aren't even reaching the lion quota. At least not as of the 2004 report on the CPW site.

05-Apr-17
Bummer for most. 'Been saving deer points. We see cat scat every year in elk country but only one actual sighting - down by Spanish Peaks.

05-Apr-17
+1 Treeline

05-Apr-17
I saw a lion while elk hunting down there last year, it actually scared the elk I'd been waiting days for. I could have shot it at 30 yards if I had a tag. It would be nice to be able to have a lion tag during any big game season.

06-Apr-17
Tough to see lions. When I lived in Leadville and spent a lot of time glassing for sheep and deer in the summers I would see several during the summer - not in season. They follow the deer, sheep, and elk migration up into the high country. Actually have had them run across the road in front of me in the summer up there. The lions would leave when the deer and elk migrated out. Always thought the seasons were messed up for lions in the high country.

Seems like we see them more in the winter up here in northern CO. Different kind of country. Have called one in elk hunting up here though.

06-Apr-17
Just saying that lion season should be year round. Especially in areas that get pounded by winter kill. Every lion out there averages killing a deer a week and that adds up to a lot of deer mortality. Definitely can keep a deer population from recovering as quickly. That was the purpose of the study in the Pieance, but the animal rights groups have probably put an end to that study. They really do not want us out there hunting and if the predators are keeping the prey numbers down, there is no reason for us to be allowed to hunt. If we can't hunt, we don't need any weapons. If we don't have any weapons, we can be good little sheeple and do whatever the government wants us to do.

06-Apr-17
Lion scent (presence) + ( human imitation) calf elk distress call = interesting/amazing (herd defense) response. Bag of tricks - 'aint it fun!

06-Apr-17
Muley population in CO = 450,000

CPWs target population = 560,000

4000 lions X 40 deer per year = 160,000

2016 all hunters took 37,000

2016 bowhunters took 2900

For reference, in 1957 the hunter harvest was over 100,000

06-Apr-17
Do the Lions know there is a reduction in quota?

07-Apr-17
Great statistics, Glunt!

Unfortunately, the lions will continue to prey on the deer at the same rates, even when the deer numbers are low. Deep snow actually makes it easier for the cats - prey is concentrated and can't get away. Would guess that the lion predation was probably higher through last winter in Gunnison. Would also anticipate coyote predation was higher this last winter as well. It's a double whammy.

From those numbers, we need to kill a lot of lions if we want to recover deer herds after a hard winter.

Not sure how to approach it with the politics involved, but the lion season really should be extended and the quotas significantly raised so we can get the deer numbers back quicker.

Also points out that bow hunting deer should not even be limited in Colorado. Would guess that if archery tags were 100% OTC across the entire state in every unit, we still would not kill 10% of the deer.

07-Apr-17
I believe the discussion around increased lion hunting was brought up at the last SE Sportsmen s Round-table meeting in CO Springs. CPW is doing some studies on deer predation in 2 DA's where they are rotating the lion hunting tags. To bad the studies take years to produce data. If I've misstated the above, anyone feel free to correct me. I was trying to pay attention during the meeting.

07-Apr-17
I brought it up in Durango at the banquet / CBA meeting. Apparently since lions can breed all year long the DPW is concerned about orphaned cubs... The CBA was not interested in adding it to the list of items to bring forward at this time.

07-Apr-17
I would like to see lion tags made available similar to bear licenses- such as Arizona does- you buy a $75 lion tag in AZ and chances are minimal people ever take one, but the opportunity is there, and it would create a lot of additional revenues.

07-Apr-17
You can buy a lion license over the counter here in Colorado. The issue is the season structure. Year round would be a start. Unfortunately, today's politics in Colorado probably won't allow it. Definitely would not allow for year round with a bounty paid...

• Sitka Gear