Petcontain 08-Apr-17
Mad dog 29-Apr-17
Mint 16-May-17
07-Apr-17

8point's embedded Photo
Patches from yester year
8point's embedded Photo
Patches from yester year
In reading the recent "Crossbow" post, PETCONTAIN gave a brief history of NYS archery. I was reminded of my introduction to archery by my dad in the mid-1950’s. Dad shot an aluminum recurve, and I had a Ben Pearson fiberglass long bow. We shot in our back yard, but since dad was a member we often visited the Connecticut Hill club and shot their field course. I remember the tournaments with hundreds of archers shooting targets and the 9 and 18 target field course, as well as the club participating in parades with their signature “stump full of arrows” with my dad along with several club members waving to the folks lining the parade route. Ah the truly “good old days”. I’ve attached a pic of dad’s hat with a couple of patches. It would be interesting to see if anyone has “vintage” memorabilia of the early days of New York Field Archery they could share.

08-Apr-17
When I got into 3D Archery Field Archery seem to be on the way out. I can remember the field archery course at Pratt's Falls and CNY Bowmen were operating out of an old shack. This is now all gone, no more field archery course 3 D shoots or CNY Bowmen.

29-Apr-17
My High School on Suburban Long Island had archery for one semester in gym. This was mid 1980s. Wonder if they still do it. They also had a rifle team up until the late 60s and a range in the basement. Love the history guys, thanks Mad Dog

16-May-17
Suffolk Archers in South Huntington has a field archery course and NFAA Field shoots. Not many people come to the shoots though, at max around 15 people in a club with 500 hundred members. Our 3D shoots usually get anywhere between 70 to 100 shooters. I would shoot it but don't like to wait 15 minutes behind a group of four shooting four arrows each.

• Sitka Gear