West Virginia
Contributors to this thread:
JDPTrapper 12-Apr-17
babysaph 12-Apr-17
JDPTrapper 12-Apr-17
Babysaph 13-Apr-17
12-Apr-17

JDPTrapper's Link
Reading through some of the posts on here and on the Better Bucks Facebook group it seems that there is some confusion between Quality Deer Management (QDM) and what the Better Bucks movement is advocating for, which essentially is older-aged buck management. On several occasions I see QDM, the QDMA and the Mountaineer Branch being branded as controversial. This is absurd. QDM is a sound, scientifically backed management approach that is time tested and advocated for by the most renowned deer biologists in the country. Better Bucks asking the DNR to change regulations to favor an older and more natural buck age structure probably shouldn’t be…but I would agree that it has become controversial. Older-aged buck management in and of itself is not QDM. Quality Deer Management is much more intensive than that and not really feasible as a statewide management regime. In addition to herd and hunter management, QDM has a habitat component and an intensive monitoring component. Please keep this in mind in your discussions: QDM and Older Aged Buck Management are two distinct concepts.

12-Apr-17
But I would say that an older buck will be a better quality buck than a 1.5 year old deer if you are going by antler size. I do not know anything about but i am learning. on my mtn property that I do not hunt I haven't shot a buck in 3 years. I not only have more bucks but they are better. Now I am no rocket science but I say that if this state did nothing but just let them get older they would be of better quality. Having said that it just can't happen at this time because our state is strapped for money. Just the way it is.

12-Apr-17
The revenue argument is a fallacy. Wildlife Resources is well funded.

13-Apr-17
It might be well funded but whoever gets money from the deer stamps is not giving it up. And I'll bet on that. If any reduction in buck kill involves the reduction of money from extra stamps it won't happen

• Sitka Gear