ground hunter 19-Apr-17
albino 27-Apr-17
qdm 28-Apr-17
qdm 28-Apr-17
albino 28-Apr-17
qdm 29-Apr-17
albino 29-Apr-17
14-Apr-17
If you shoot a buck that makes p&y do you enter it? If you haven't yet, will you enter it if you do kill one?

What about b&c?

14-Apr-17
I have not - Taped the score sheet to the back of the mounts so it is documented for when my kids get my mounts

14-Apr-17
Have not entered any animals I have killed while hunting the US on my own. I have entered animals I've killed in Africa with SCI and Rowland Ward, but I do that so the ph's and outfitters get credit. Some people use the record books when trying to choose an area or an outfitter to hunt with.

14-Apr-17
I have taken bucks well beyond the P & Y minimum and have never entered one. Their value to me lies with the experience, accomplishment and memory of what I went through to tag that buck. I do not need an arbitrary judgement by a third party to assign value or ranking.

As a matter of fact, one of the bucks I value most highly is an eight point with about a ten inch spread that would probably score about 80 - 90 on the P & Y scale; far, far below minimum. The reason it means so much to me is that it was my first deer ever and was bow-killed in Jackson County in September 1964.

As far as B & C goes,...I have never taken a buck so large that would qualify.

14-Apr-17
No, I have not. I have a buck and 2 bears that would make the book.

14-Apr-17
I think I did once when I was in my early 20s. Some I have not even scored yet.

14-Apr-17
I took a couple of bears, did not enter. I did however donate to the club when I visited. The books have no real relevancy, especially since many P&Y bucks and others are now killed with crossbows. Therefore, P&Y state entries do not reflect state productivity or potential. Unfortunately, the P&Y club will die a slow death as crossbows replace bow hunters, and bow hunting.

14-Apr-17
No I have not,nothing wrong with it its just not me.

14-Apr-17
I have some that would make PY and maybe a couple that would make BC but never entered any. Just doesn't mean anything to me. Don't really see why my name in some book matters. I even quit measuring them a while back. I did shoot a 22 point non typical buck (basically a 12 point with stickers) on the first day I ever deer hunted in Minnesota that I did enter in the Minnesota book at the MN deer classic many years ago.

14-Apr-17
I do like to stay up on and see what the scores are of other bucks, gives me a good idea from my trail camera pictures on what a live buck might score in the wild that I am hunting.

14-Apr-17
No. That's not why I hunt. Not saying I don't want to shoot a big buck this fall though!

14-Apr-17
I don't have any that come close. I think I'd be more likely to enter one for my son if he gets one big enough. I'd probably be very likely to enter mine if I get one that makes b&c.

I do like the idea of putting the score on the back of the mount just for your own personal gratification.

It's interesting to me that we lead the country every year yet so many don't even enter them.

14-Apr-17
No and no. I have never cared about the score of an animal. I enjoy taking guesses but that's about it

14-Apr-17
I've entered every one and most of my friends have also.

14-Apr-17
Nope never measured one . That way I can stretch the truth .

14-Apr-17
I've entered a few but that was probably 10 years ago when we got serious about passing little bucks and our goal was to shoot p+y bucks. I've since focused more on age than rack size. It was $55 dollars back then to enter a buck in the books so I probably wouldn't spend the money now.

14-Apr-17
I have never even measured a rack or bear skull of mine let alone entered it in a book. No interest in it.

I'll edit my post and say it it were number 1 in the book I would consider it. Any other place your just kissing your sister.

14-Apr-17
I measure them gross score, because so many ask "How big was he", and don't like it when I say about 180 pounds lol. It gives you an idea on inches a deer carries, but my focus is more about a mature deer rather than score. I have not, and will not enter them.

14-Apr-17
Nothing but a piece of paper and everybody knows the county you hunt

14-Apr-17
Mindbender, why does it matter if everyone knows what co you hunt? Even if you shoot the new world record, he's dead now so who cares?

$55 for entering a p&y would disuade me from doing it as well. I thought it was only around $10. If I shoot a b&c I'll still probably do it. If my boy shoots a 140 or bigger I'll still probably do it for him as well. Not for the props because he would get them from me and you guys but as a kid, I think he'd think it was pretty cool to have his name in the book.

14-Apr-17
Never shot one big enough, yet. When I and/or when my kids do we will enter them. I love looking at the record book put out by the Wisconsin Buck and Bear Club and looking at different counties around the state to see how different the bucks are. It's really cool when i see a name of someone I know or recognize. I think it will be pretty cool when a distant relative or a great, great grand kid sees my/your name in there. It also shows some added respect to the animal, he was something special, at least he was a little different than the majority, smarter, whatever. When I give talks I bring the book along. It's good for creating interesting conversations among hunters from the county I am in.

To each his/her own. BC

14-Apr-17
Entering an animal has several good reasons one important reason is: Supporting a hunting organization. The entry fee goes to the club not the measurer.

It is nice to have the certificate on the wall too mostly because it gives credit to the animal and the hunter.

Another reason is showing the potential for the animals in that area. Something hunters and Natural Resource Agencies watch.

14-Apr-17
I've never measured a buck and never would. I just don't care about that at all. It is not why I hunt. But, I totally understand those who strive to kill big bucks. It is just not my mantra.

14-Apr-17
I don't enter them but I am a member of pny and support what they stand for. I suppose if I killed an animal that was in the top 10 percentile I would enter it

14-Apr-17
I have quite a few that would make it over a long hunting career, Never entered one.

14-Apr-17
Not being a Richard, but what does P&Y do for hunting and the hunters? I don't know so asking.

14-Apr-17
That's a pertinent question DT. I always figured it was simply a central source to compilate data for easier perusing. I figured the fees went to overhead costs attributed to the data compilation.

Googling now.............

14-Apr-17
Sooo, I don't want to seem like a dick either but a quick glance at the website makes me think this is another one of those organizations where you donate a dollar and only one penny actually goes to something worthwhile. I'd sure love to see the spreadsheet that shows their allocation of funds. It would be benefitial in determining if this org is actually worthwhile. Does anyone know where I could find something like that? I'd be more likely to support if I knew my money wasn't just paying for a fancy website and a few folks who sit behind a desk.

14-Apr-17
In the beginning.... I am sure many longtime bowhunters can add to this but take a look at the history of bowhunting. It was not quickly accepted by State DNR agencies. P&Y wanted to show that bowhunting was a good thing. Recording harvest/antler size was a start.

It is late and I am exhausted so cannot go on about this so I hope others will add to this.

14-Apr-17
Smokey is certainly correct about bowhunting being accepted only reluctantly by existing state conservation departments, the public, and firearms deer hunters in the earlier days of bowhunting, in the 1950s and particularly in the 1930s - 1940s time period. There were numerous voices that spoke against use of the bow for hunting deer and depending on the particular faction their arguments varied considerably. Over time, through the efforts of concerned and dedicated individuals, various state and national associations of bowmen, and large archery tackle manufacturing corporations the opinions of those aligned against bowhunting began to soften. By around 1960 use of the bow was generally accepted by most states game departments and the number of bowhunters nationwide was increasing annually at an explosive rate. At about this same time (I believe 1958 or 1959) the Pope & Young Club was founded as a record keeping and conservation organization. Bowhunters were now solidifying their organizations and speaking with a common voice seeking and in many cases demanding acceptance and recognition. All this led to the increased realization and recognition that use of the bow and arrow was an effective game management tool and a popular recreational activity that was here to stay. In Wisconsin proof of this came in 1965 when bowhunters were allowed to purchase their own license for hunting.

Smokey wrote, "Recording harvest/antler size was a start." I feel certain this and the P & Y club assisted with the acceptance and perceived legitimation of bowhunting by state game agencies, firearms deer hunters, and the general populace.

14-Apr-17
To correct my above post,...the Pope & Young Club was founded in 1961. Apologies to P & Y members, no slight intended.

14-Apr-17
If anyone bought the whitetail only book($40), you have an amazing amount of data. Which states, which counties, what dates are most pruductive for mature buck harvests. The best dates/counties in wisconsin? I can find that on the provided cd in seconds. Besides, whats the real score? Not the bs score. Very few even here can rough score let alone live score inside 60 seconds before launching an arrow. I will have 3 more scored and entered in 3 weeks. The scorers are certified voluntiers. Having a 70 year history of 28 game species is important. Base measure alone is critical data. They also hold the line on xbows. So eat your own as usual, continue to show your shoulder mount "136" that was never scored(again most guys have no clue), bash py/bc. Yes, most guys have a wall of book bucks but have never scored or entered them. Total bs. Btw, wisconsin has by far the most entries with 12,000....second place isnt even grenade close. So funny to bash the wdnr with that verified results. So without verified results we have blogs/forums/fake news and golf scores with 6 mulligans. Learn how to score a buck, then apply that in a tree on the hoof. You will take mature bucks and not be fooled our a complete fool passing of your wall mount that wont break 110. What does the py club do? Many things, keeping the bs out is just one.

15-Apr-17
My above post was not meant to bash p$y. I think it's great what they done. I'm simply curious how much of my entry fee actually goes toward conservationism and how much is "wasted". If I spend $50 to enter my animal I would hope that half of that is actually going toward something that will benefit our future bowhunting.Many organizations start out really doing good for their cause and then after time they become so focused on raising money that the layers become too thick and the money made doesn't get where it's needed most. I'm not saying this is the case with p&y. I'm also not saying that it's not a possibility.

I read their mission statement and what it takes to qualify. It's all in line with what I want to hear from an org if I'm going to choose to support it. I just want to know my $ is getting to a place it can be put to use.

Now, speaking of golf, I have a match to go play. And we take no mulligans or gimmies. If someone can tell me what % of my money goes toward the root cause and it's an acceptable amount then I'll match whatever I win this morning and donate it.

15-Apr-17
Mindbender + 1. In the day of "where did he shoot that" as the number one question after someone shoots a big buck I will never enter a buck in P&Y or a 2nd buck with Wisconsin Buck And Bear Club. Hunting has become a lot like fishing. A lot of people don't want to get out and do the work themselves. You hear of it every year.

15-Apr-17
Any bow hunting that promotes bow hunting I'm all for. I just think the $55 fee is to high. $20 seems reasonable, I would probably have all my bucks scored then.

15-Apr-17
Nope...not my cup a tea.

15-Apr-17
I have 4 bucks that qualify that have been scored by a friend that was a scorer that I have never entered. I think P&Y is a wonderful org. I just have no desire to enter my deer.

15-Apr-17
The cost to enter Pope and Young is thirty five dollars not 55.

15-Apr-17
We don't score farmed bucks.

15-Apr-17
Have shot book bucks, have not and will not ever enter one.

15-Apr-17
Just not interested in entering any bucks in P&Y.

15-Apr-17
got my 1st P&Y a couple years ago,never entered but have the score sheet. I will now attach that to the back of the mount, good idea there for future generations to have it

15-Apr-17
Great idea of taping the score sheets to the back of the mounts!

15-Apr-17
Interesting responses here and all done in a respectful manner. I do think P&Y,B&C and WBBC are good pro hunting organizations. Those hunters that have not been around as long as some others might find it informative to take some time and read the history of the organizations and what hunting was like "back in the day". I can understand people not entering animals since they have the mount and the memory; they individually are not seeking personal fame or glory. All good.

But an official measurer should never give a score sheet to someone, that should come from the office after it has been accepted and entered into the records. Then and only then is it a P&Y, etc.

15-Apr-17
The 99% of hunters could not score and buck and the 1% here would come close. Buy the whitetail book with cd($40), you can see any state county for the best days to take a mature buck. Its 60 years of data. The base measures alone are priceless. I will enter 3 more next month. Wisconsin is #1 in entries and second place isnt close. They hold the line for xguns. Gladly send my $30 and give the certified py scorer and giftcard for his time. Countless wallmounts that were never scored but they all would make "book". Bs. When scoring you will learn about age, true score not barstool bs. Wanna score live on the hoof inside 60 seconds?

15-Apr-17
P & Y is a tax exempt corp due to it's record keeping for science/history. The fee paid for recording a book animal is the largest revenue source for the club. After covering their overhead which includes a fantastic bowhunter museum, they spend large amounts to causes to such as animal studies, animal habitat and etc. Consider an entry fee as your contribution to further bowhunting.

15-Apr-17
Woodsweller, keep trying, if none of your animals have qualified for the P&Y book, it is surely just a matter of time. Time in and effort applied usually can make the difference.

16-Apr-17
I did one of my bow kills - it was kinda of a neat experience I thought. I have a second bow kill that I haven't entered yet and I'm thinking it will score, but just haven't. Personal thing - some like it - some don't...like so many things in life!

16-Apr-17
alldone, you seem quite defensive? No one cares that you have entered your deer, but don't think that because people don't decide to enter their deer, they don't/won't make "book", or know how to score. It might not take them 2 hours to measure, nor be exactly within 1/8 of an inch determined by a panel of "experts". Not everyone needs to have their deer recognized in the book. With social media, and including facebook, I can promise you that a deer is far more recognized on someone's facebook page versus the P & Y scorecard. Many people have left the idea of net score and would assume get full credit for gross inches counted as seen in a few of the other recognized books.

I just made book myself, and a panel of three agreed. Proudest moment ever to be honest. My wife and two kids told me I was the greatest dad and husband. I'm not sure, but I think they were a bit biased, because a few others on here have claimed the same level of achievement....and I hesitate to disagree with them!

Happy hunting!

16-Apr-17
Pete, you always write well thought out replies which are articulated well too. Kudos for that. No doubt you are a great Dad and husband but I feel certain your family would say that regardless of whether you killed a big buck or not. Congrats on that accomplishment! Happy Easter Pete and everyone!

16-Apr-17
+1 Pete. I'm sure I could score a deer gross and net and get damn close to the official score. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

16-Apr-17
Lots of good stuff here. I enter every animal that meets the minimum and qualifies. I don’t have my certificates displayed on a wall. I’ll explain my reason why I enter every animal, it’s simple for me. I support the organization that supports my beliefs in fair chase, ethical bowhunting. The P&Y Club and fair chase bowhunting are a big part of my life. Instead of trying to figure out what part the $35 entry fee goes where… you have to look at the big picture. The P&Y Club has over 108,000 entries in its records program. That equates to millions of data points. This data is used by conservation organizations, wildlife managers, biologists… to do studies and research all over North America. This research helps set seasons, equipment regulations, habitat projects, species boundaries… among other things. The records program is just one part of the P&Y Club. The P&Y Club is rich in bowhunting history. It has the largest bowhunting museum in the world which contains thousands of artifacts from the stone age all the way through modern times. Ishi, Saxton Pope, Art Young, Glenn St Charles, Fred Bear all have detailed and authentic diorama displays at the museum. Mounts of all 29 different species are there to be seen. If you are a passionate bowhunter this museum is a must see. Conservation and outreach is another big part of the P&Y Club and where a portion of your entry fee goes. The Club raises hundreds of thousands of dollars that go to conservation. P&Y’s conservation focus is diverse and reaches out to projects that benefit and support bowhunting. P&Y is a major contributor and partner with S3DA (Scholastic 3D Archery). S3DA is growing incredibly fast and is coast to coast. A recent study showed that 85% of the kids who participated in S3DA went on to buy a hunting license. There’s no other organization putting as many kids in the woods hunting with a bow and arrow than S3DA and P&Y. One of the most valuable thing for me are the members. Men and women who share the same passion I have for bowhunting. I just wanted to share why I chose to enter my animals. Bottom line is “to each his own” on whether or not someone wants to enter an animal in P&Y or not. I would encourage you to do so. Ed F

16-Apr-17
Bowuntr, great post. It may not change any minds here but it was a very well written and reasoned reply why someone might want to consider entering a trophy.

16-Apr-17
There are two types of people in the world those that load the wagon and those that watch. Thanks Ed.

16-Apr-17
Great post Ed.

16-Apr-17
Good post Ed. Is there any concern for the P&Y future since so many are leaving bowhunting for the crossbow?

17-Apr-17
yes

17-Apr-17
Ed F. Good post! After doing a little more research on how the funds are used and how much actually goes toward the root cause of this org. I do believe this is a worthy organization. One that I will be supporting by entering my animals if I ever get some that qualify.

17-Apr-17
My larger bucks are in the P&Y Book. I like to support the organization as well as validates the score. I have seen way too many folks tell me the buck they have went 140 when I know it would not break 110 it is nice to have a standard that is enforced. The more I travel around hunting the more I see folks embellish the score. I also believe any deer killed with a bow is a trophy and would never look down on anyone over the score but if you are going to quote the score make sure it is legitimate. The only way to truly validate the score is to have it officially scored by a trained P&Y or B&C scorer. Nothing I hate more than someone badmouthing someone over a buck they think is too small when they will not have their own deer scored for fear of what they will find out. I agree shoot what makes you happy just don't brag that it went 180 P&Y if you never got it scored. My 2 cents.

17-Apr-17
"There are two types of people in the world those that drive the wagon and those that ride the wagon. "

Another version "those that make the news and those that read the news."

17-Apr-17
The Pope & Young Club is dedicated to the perpetuation and sound management of wild animals and their habitat. Members work actively behind the scenes, supporting various educational, field research, pro-hunting and game management programs and projects with moral, financial and volunteer support. The Conservation Committee is responsible for investigating and recommending worthy projects to the Board of Directors. In resent years annual conservations budgets have exceeded $100,000 per year in grants awarded to worthy projects. Many different types of fundraising efforts including record book sales, record book entries, commissioned prints, raffles and auctions, provide the Conservation Fund with what is necessary to carry out its goals.

17-Apr-17
Regardless of whether you have officially scored or entered any of the multiple net book bucks on the wall name other bowhunting only groups that for a friday fishfry cost does better work.

18-Apr-17
I couldn't agree with Ed more. I've been a regular member of Pope and Young for several years and am proud of the achievement. I am also pleased with the fact that the record keeping is for archery only-no muzzleloader, shoulder-fired weapon or rifle. There are other opportunities for those.

18-Apr-17
Your own personal option if you enter a animal or not ! If nothing else pope and young a great organization to support they do a lot of of good for the sport !!!!

19-Apr-17
Stan, as always the gentleman, good post......

27-Apr-17
Very nice Stan and Ed, I have entered most of the critters that make the minimum score for P & Y as I do support them along with WB&B. Not that I need the recognition but it is a scale to judge your accomplishment from. I like to set a goal for my season of a 130 Buck but I have time to wait for it. I used to have a higher goal but I'm not as good as I once was. (neither are the deer). I have looked at the records for hours but I don't recall ever seeing my name, even though it is there a dozen times. I'm not looking for my name, I'm looking at others accomplishments & the beautiful animals they have honored by entering them & sharing with those of us that care. Never thought about where the money goes but I have seen the countless unpaid hours the Scorers that I have met put in. Not to mention most of it at their own cost. They are a dedicated bunch & I love what they stand for. Thank You P & Y. Just my opinion.

28-Apr-17
Thanks Mike and Mike.

28-Apr-17
Thanks Mike and Mike.

28-Apr-17
I didn't enter last seasons Buck as It didn't feel right. Shot him on 12/3 over water. He had been shot through the lower jaw during gun season. Wasn't pretty. Don't think he could drink & positive he couldn't eat for the previous week or 2. Didn't take any pics. Tough critters.

29-Apr-17
That was the right thing to do mike shouldn't leave them suffer.

29-Apr-17
Yup. It does score 135 gross & 130 net with a 19 inch inside. Short tines. Would have made a great deer next year.

• Sitka Gear