JayD 14-Apr-17
Jim Casto Jr 14-Apr-17
JayD 14-Apr-17
babysaph 14-Apr-17
hookman 17-Apr-17
Little Bear 18-Apr-17
hookman 25-Apr-17
14-Apr-17
I'm thinking seriously about trying for a gobbler with my bow this season. What broadhead would anyone recommend? Body or head shot?

14-Apr-17
I've been doing a lot of research on that very question, Ed. I've killed several with my bow, but I've had a few get away too. They're tough and shot placement on them is everything. I've learned the best body shot is to hit them at the top of the drumsticks; broadside, quartering way or straight away.

Having said that, it seems those Guillotine-type broadheads offer the best percentage of harvest. I'm going to give them a whirl this spring. If I get an opportunity, I'll let you know how it goes.

14-Apr-17
Ed, if you are shooting 55#, give the Rage Extreme a try, devastating ! They are also make a Rage Extreme Turkey, which looks WICKED ! the rage extreme is a 2.3 inch cut !

14-Apr-17

Ron Miller's embedded Photo

14-Apr-17

14-Apr-17
One of my Hero's last year bounced a Rage off a Turkeys wing Butt ! Couse he was probably only shooting 35 # ! His initials are Biggie Al Smith !

Ha Ha !

14-Apr-17
Snuffer or even a bear broad head with a small flat washer behind it if I am using my recurve or longer and I use one of the G5's when I had to shoot compound there for a few years because of shoulder.

14-Apr-17
What's the purpose of washer? I can't wrap my mind around why you would want to impede penetration.

14-Apr-17
I read an article many years ago that this would keep the arrow in the bird instead of getting a complete pass-thru. The only bird I have ever lost was a completely pass-thru. Even with shooting with a small flat washer all of my traditional bows are at least 62or + pounds -the last three birds I got the snuffer was still sticking out of the other side of the bird. Wish I could remember the article better but I think it was in bowhunter magazine and at least 20 years ago.

14-Apr-17
I have seen those rage heads on deer and man do they make a hole. I think as long as you get penetration you will be good to go. I have read articles too about the arrow staying in the turkey. I honestly don't have enough experience with it to tell. I know they don't bleed as well as deer. I agree with Jimmy on shot placement.

17-Apr-17
I use a big 3 blade 160 grain VPA. Works for me.

18-Apr-17
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to invest in some Rage Extreme's and give it a try. You have no idea how bad I want to lop off the head of a big gobbler.

25-Apr-17
Should have added that my total arrow weight is about 600 grains.

• Sitka Gear