jordanathome 22-Apr-17
jordanathome 23-Apr-17
jordanathome 23-Apr-17
jordanathome 23-Apr-17
jordanathome 23-Apr-17
jordanathome 23-Apr-17
Stix 25-Apr-17
14-Apr-17
Had a fun evening although my girls left me to run to MO to see my wife's parents. I ran out to my turkey hunting spot up at 9500'

No one else around....awesome. Saw some super fresh elk tracks and a bunch of big rubs from last fall. That is good since I am drawing a tag to hunt elk in this unit and didn't expect to be able to find rutting sign this low in elevation. Bumped 2 elk on my way to the turkey spot....big bodies....I think they were cow elk though.

Got the spot and sent out a few yelps. Gobble, gobble, gobble from way down in the creek bottom below. I worked down the ridge above and on the 3rd set up, after no more gobble response, I see a turkey head heading up outta the bottom in the pines. He pops out 30 yards away and I have my call in my hands and gun in my lap.....and I didn't take my decoy to distract and attract a bird thinking I wouldn't get into one that late.

He had a thick long beard at least 10" long and big red neck and head. He eye balls me then slinks back the way he came. If I'd had my gun up ready he'd be heading for the smoker. Oh well.

I prospected around on my way back, more rubs and big elk tracks. Looking good. I pop over to big drainage with an old gold mine above and some ore cars below. Saw a mulie. Hoped to see elk in the big meadow but no luck. I did yelp and got a gobble from another bird down in that drainage....so now I have two birds marked to chase. Jumped in the truck and bumped a moose on the way out....couldn't tell if it was a Mr. or Mrs. Bullwinkle but it was big. Good times. I will go visit Mr. Gobbler again Sunday morning and take the decoy this time. Sorry no pics...it was a last minute kamikaze trip.

15-Apr-17
At least you were able to get out there! I drew a premium tag and I have yet to set one foot to hunt for myself. Planning on going Tuesday though. Post some pics after your hunt on Sunday.

15-Apr-17
Camera is charging.......

16-Apr-17
Bring it!

17-Apr-17
I will load pictures later this week. Short story, no shots fired.....yet. I had my decoys out and a good set but the goobler would not come up the steep slope. I found him later henned up. He goobled when I was in a new area (where I found a cool old cabin on top of a mine site) as I was walking down the hill. I think in response to my noise. I clucked and yelped and he goobled right on top of me. I set out the dekes super quick and duck behind a tree. He never shows. Frustrating for sure considering the effort involved in running up and down these steep slopes trying to get an angle on this bird.

Did not see any mulies or elk this time. I did hear and see fresh tracks of motorcycles back in this area that is closed to motor vehicles.........forksticks.......

Going back tonight to try a new area where I had a response last Friday. Gonna have to drop down into the drainage nearly 1000' to get to a good setup near the bird. Not looking forward to the grunt back up and out.

19-Apr-17

jordanathome's embedded Photo
A couple turkey feathers near the drainage where I have been finding turkeys to chase.
A couple turkey feathers near the drainage where I have been finding turkeys to chase.
Finally got the cord to upload pics from my camera. There are turkeys here.

19-Apr-17

Set up with my Jake and Hen.

19-Apr-17

The views do not suck.

19-Apr-17

Hard to concentrate on the task at hand with views like this one.

19-Apr-17

Up above the creek drainage trying to cut off a gobbler and hen I saw moving up the hill as I turned the corner of the trail below. Steep sombiatch getting up here quick as I could. No luck. After a couple hours I headed back down only to have the gobbler gobble at me down below then on top of me but he never showed. I think he is making fun of me.

19-Apr-17

Fresh elk chews on the aspen....lots of this around.

19-Apr-17

Found an old mine site with cabin up top when I tried to cut off the gobbler and hen. Pretty neat. Nice saddle here with alot of traffic from the sign. hmmmmmmm........might have to check this out in Sept.

19-Apr-17

Dekes set up in the top of the saddle below the mine and cabin. No luck.

19-Apr-17

Cow elk tracks......didn't show up well in the pic but fairly fresh.

19-Apr-17

More elk chewed aspen....this was above my head on the tree and I'm nearly 6' tall.

19-Apr-17

I love it when I find a secluded wallow.....this is at the head of the creek drainage. One of several pools....this one had the most current action churned up into pudding.

19-Apr-17

I love it up here.

19-Apr-17

Muley thrashing I'd imagine.

19-Apr-17

Fresh cow elk tracks in dry dirt and gravel. Bunches of this around.

19-Apr-17

Some fresh tracks in damp gravel.

19-Apr-17

If this don't get yer heart thumping.....then yer dead. This tree is marked up well over 10' high. I about messed my pants. I wanna see this dude. I'd love to find his sheds. I want to find him in Sept. Damn.

19-Apr-17

Ok....so the bottom of the creek drainage is narrow. Not quite canyon but this is the only wide enough flat and open spot to set up dekes.....and the only place I could set up without having a turkey trot on my head on the way in was where I took the pic a from.....above on the other side on a ledge of a rock face with some brush around me. A good 15' or more above my set. Just up the trail is where I saw the Tom and Hen headed up on Sunday and this is Monday evening. But no luck. No response to calling here or anywhere else. This is about 3 miles from my truck and a good 1000' drop in elevation. But this is where the turkeys are in this area. You either have flats up top or this little dink of a flat in the bottom. The rest is steep, thick with pine, or rocky.

19-Apr-17

Looking to the right from my roost on the ledge above my set in the creek bottom. There is a 4-6' wide shoot....kinda like an avalanche shoot there which I imagined the Tom bombing down once he saw my Jake trying to mount the hen. But no........not this time.

19-Apr-17

Screw a bunch of non-responsive turkeys.....let's look for elk sign! Yes....another wallow.

19-Apr-17

Stop for some fresh unfiltered and unchlorinated mountain spring water at the free supply in Ward, CO. I had to interrupt the filling of this local's carboy to get a quick fill on my water bottle. Then on the way down Lefthand Canyon I see a motorcycle in the other lane heading up.....and a big arse dog that has no fear standing in his lane as I go by in the fading light. I look hard in the mirror hoping the motorcyclist sees the dog and swerves.....I see the lights and tires lock up......BOOM....dog gets nailed in the side and down goes the bike and rider.

I wheel the truck around and head back. Motorcycle guy is still down. Not good. He gets up slowly and hobbling. I jump out and he says he thinks he broke his leg. I believe it but no blood or bones sticking out.

I pick up his bike....damn its heavy.....the shift lever and the clutch lever are GONE.....can't get it outta gear. Gotta grunt it off the road to clear the lane....in gear....that sucked. I pick up the debris and get the road clear. Load Tom......the motorcycle riders name I learn...into the truck and offer to take him to the Hospital.

No.....he says....I live up the road a mile and my wife is home. Take me home.

So I take him home. He is doing a little better and thinks he only sprained his ankle....yeah....right......good luck with that. But he is home....I head for my own home.

Hope to get back at the turkeys up there this Sunday morning. Calling for snow and rain up there the next couple days so should be a good chance to see fresh sign for elk, deer and turkey.

21-Apr-17
I know this ain't BB or OTCWill quality......but damn.....crickets? LOL

21-Apr-17
you got to love an adventure in the mountains.

22-Apr-17
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

22-Apr-17
Jordan, looks like you may have found yourself a possible elk hunting spot. Best of luck!

22-Apr-17
Headed back up in the morning. Very curious to see fresh tracks after rain and snow the last couple days up there. Hopefully no more accidents to witness........

23-Apr-17
Turkeys are not gobbling. I did see a Tom bail off the fire road as I was hiking back but too late to give chase as I had to get back for my daughter's softball practice. I ran into 3 hunters, two men and a young boy. First hunters I've seen in this area. Damn. They said they got busted by gobbler coming in from the side of their setup. They didn't hear a thing either. Found a hind leg of an elk.....looked fresh enough to have died over the winter. Checked out some new ground. Will post pics later.

23-Apr-17

23-Apr-17

High meadow and aspens....thought I'd find a wallow in here but no luck. Still a great spot with lots of sign.

23-Apr-17

23-Apr-17

Pretty country.

25-Apr-17
Thanks for sharing those pics!

• Sitka Gear