Novice 17-Apr-17
Badger Bucks 17-Apr-17
RutnStrut 17-Apr-17
LesWelch 17-Apr-17
Mike F 17-Apr-17
Bloodtrail 18-Apr-17
Duke 19-Apr-17
15-Apr-17
It couldn't be 4AM, yet but there was simply no denying the alarm hammering my head like a pileated woodpecker on a dead elm!

Out of the bed and grabbing my pants I listened for rain outside as the evening had been nothing short of a gully wash. All seemed quite as I hoped that it would stay that way until about noon. Today marked the 2017 Youth Hunt and we had a gobbler to kill.

Now properly attired, I made my way out to the kitchen. Nope - no coffee, no toast and only a 11 year old kid to roust from bed down stairs. I found my 11 year old hunting partner Dylan, fast asleep on the floor of the bedroom and the lights still on. Weird way to sleep I thought. Up and Adam was the call as Dylan sat up - "There's turkeys to kill son" I added.

My wife also had risen and helped gather gear, as I headed to the truck. On the way back I spotted Dylan was up and putting his boots on. "No rain yet" I told him as he hurried tying his boots. He was all business this boy!

It was just before 5 AM when we left the driveway and headed out to the woods. The rain still holding out! Soon our truck drifted to a stop as the headlights went out and we scrambled to gather gear!

As we were hunting private land, our tent was set and decoys were soon spinning in front of the blind as when setting them it started to drizzle. We adjusted our chairs and as the darkness began to give way to the morning light, we were ready to rock. We paused every so often to listen for Gobblers - there was none. Not a single one gobbling off the roost.

I told Dylan that not hearing a gobble was no fun, but that didn't mean them ole' boys weren't around.

I gathered up my old Primos slate call and fired off a series of clucks and yelps. I switched to my old "Lynch" box call and hammered home some loud yelps - we waited - nothing!

So that was the scenario, I'd call and they wouldn't answer. Id call and nothing answered. For a while I figured we'd be here all day.

It was about 6:45 AM, when I glanced to my left and here from the corner of my eye, I spotted them 2 big old Gobblers. Slowly, I mean very slowly, they walked in to the decoy set. I instructed my partner to stay still and to wait until they separated for the shot. It took forever, but slowly the bigger of the two separated and held his head up. Dylan got the green light.

With the pull of the trigger, Dylan sent a load of #5 copper plated shot down range and nearly decapitated that Tom. The bird went down and hardly moved. Hoooray...Dylan sounded off , making sure his gun was safe. A few hugs and pats on the back and we hurried to see Dylan's bird.

Dylan had killed his first Gobbler and he could not have been happier! What a great day, great kid and great Gobbler!!

Once home we found that the bird weighed 22.5 with an 8 inch beard!! Gotta love turkey hunting!

15-Apr-17
Congrats to Dylan and his great guide. I too was up before 4, however it was pouring here. I went in and tapped on my daughters door and woke her. Let me tell you, I would take that enthusiasm of an 11yr old boy any day over waking up a 15 yr old girl. She heard the rain pounding on the roof. Her response was 'Dad seriously" then she burrowed back under her pillows. We may get out this afternoon, but have a ton of things to do as we have family coming for Easter tomorrow. That's ok, we will get out during 5th season.

15-Apr-17
Congrats. That's great man! It turned out to be a really nice day too

15-Apr-17
I felt like I was there! Great job Dylan. Great job Pat! Where is the photo evidence?

15-Apr-17
I agree with Pete, since this is the turkey meat pole show us the meat! Or at least a spur or beard. Or fan.

15-Apr-17

Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Well here is Dylan 22.5 on the scale with a 8" beard and 7/8 spurs!

He had to have his Mom come over for the "cleaning"...He took the beard/Tail/Spurs and each wing and both feet home to show his brother and sisters! Very proud young man!

Very polite - made sure to Thank me and the Landowner several times! I was proud of him. Shook the landowners hand as well. In a week or so, he'll come back over and we will write "Thank You" letters to the Landowner and send them.

For a 11 years old...a chatty Kathy! What a GREAT day - Thanking the good Lord and Greyhound! You don't get many days like this in your life. I don't know who had a better time?

15-Apr-17
Congrats BT, nice job by you and great effort to get a youngster involved in hunting.

15-Apr-17
Sweet..... great picture

15-Apr-17
Bloodtrail - Way to got! Glad you got out with Dylan and had a great hunt! Teh smile on his face tells it all!

I hope to hear some more stories.

Keep them coming!

15-Apr-17

Bootspit's embedded Photo
Skylers first gobbler!!!!! hit the scale at 23 lbs on the dot. 10 inch beard. And 15\16 spur. Yes I said spur it only had one spur. Truly a trophy bird going to be hard to beat this one. One proud step dad. Left house at 4 pulled into land at 5. Only to have it storming. We sat in car till 530 only to have it still raining. At 545 the rain stopped I told sky we missed first light but I was pretty sure they were still in the roost due to the storm. We headed out at 6 making a couple of loud yelps only to have no response. As we got closer to a patch of pines that is know for them to roost in. I yelped again. I heard a hen respond. With a quick hand motion we both took a knee. In the under brush I could see some hens pecking there way our way. I saw a big tom in the mix. Sky also saw him. putting gun up I could see he was going to shoot. Bang!!!!! tom starts to flop. The trees around us erupt. Turkeys flying every where. And one happy step son. Looked at my phone it was 615. What a day

15-Apr-17

One more picture just cause I am so dam proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15-Apr-17
Bootspit - Well done! Congrats to Skyler and you!!! AWESOME!!

16-Apr-17
Bootspit - There ya go! Awesome - you and Skyler get er done opening morning. Good going Skyler.

Us old guys should be paying attention to these youth hunters and pick up a few tips!

16-Apr-17
Thanks to all for the kind words! This is way too much fun! Going out with a youth hunter and his mentor who wasn't successful today. Keeping our fingers crossed!

16-Apr-17

chief400's embedded Photo
chief400's embedded Photo
Well not with a bow but we got two out of three (# three had a shot and missed)

16-Apr-17
I always like the stories and pics of the youngins out gettin it done!! Special thanks to the ones that have time to take em.

16-Apr-17
Great to see the smiles and hear the stories!!

17-Apr-17
Great job guys on the youth hunt!!! Keep the photos n stories coming!!!

17-Apr-17
Thumbs up!

17-Apr-17
Great job kids and mentors!

17-Apr-17

Badger Bucks's embedded Photo
Badger Bucks's embedded Photo
Her third tom in three years: 23.5 lbs, 9 inch beard. 38yd shot with a 12ga.

17-Apr-17
SUPER job to all the successful hunters and "guides".

17-Apr-17

LesWelch's embedded Photo
LesWelch's embedded Photo
Lightning, thunder, nor rain could wash the smiles away. 3.5 hours sitting, stalking, crawling, and suffering on Saturday was rewarded with a 24#11oz double bearded Tom. 11.5", and 8" beards.

17-Apr-17
Good to see the young hunters and read their success stories. I heard a few weren't as lucky, but they still had a great weekend.

18-Apr-17
Les. Congrads on a successful hunt - nice looking bird!

BT

19-Apr-17
Great job, gents! This is truly what it's all about.

Congrats to all of the young guys/gals!

• Sitka Gear