shawnm 25-Apr-17
notme 25-Apr-17
bigbuckbob 25-Apr-17
longbeard 25-Apr-17
steve 25-Apr-17
bigbuckbob 25-Apr-17
longbeard 26-Apr-17
17-Apr-17
Sorry guys it's dead and I had to post something. Just wondering who turkey hunts here. I'll be headed out next Saturday for my first season. Kind of weird you can only hunt till twelve. And during fall you can hunt till sunset. And why only two birds on state land but 3 on private? Also does anyone know why not only do I have to have my hunting license but a migratory bird game stamp? What's the story with that? Is anyone taking next Wednesday off of work for opening day??

17-Apr-17
1) cause 2 is better than 0 ,and 3 is an infestation.

2) cause birds migrate...4 n 20 blackbirds baked in a pie...thats my story

3) nope

17-Apr-17
You can only hunt till noon to protect the hens coming off the nest when it warms up. I scouted 2 places on Saturday in the NW corner that used to hold plenty of birds and I didn't find any fresh sign or hear any birds. I did however find some good buck sign from last fall. Not taking off for the opener.

17-Apr-17

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
I'll be out with my Daughter Wednesday Thursday , Friday and Saturday. It's her favorite trip of the year. We hunt 15 different private land places and always have action. Nothing like hearing the woods wake up an hour before daylight.

17-Apr-17
Was out a couple times early this week just listening. Heard some gobbling but it's not rocking and rolling yet I don't think. Saw 2 toms hanging together in a cornfield no hens. Saw 1 hen tonight. It will be interesting with this weather coming in for next week looks rainy

17-Apr-17
Just to be clear, you do mean April 29 not April 22? The season opens on the 26th.

17-Apr-17
Jr week opened last Saturday and runs through this Saturday

17-Apr-17
Shawn, you need the "Resident Game Bird" stamp for Turkeys not the Migratory Bird Stamp. I hope you didn't already buy the other one.

DEEP Info:

Summary of New Stamps

Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp

As of July 1, 2016, this stamp replaces the Pheasant Stamp and all turkey permits. It is required to hunt all resident game birds: ring-necked pheasant, ruffed grouse, bobwhite quail, chukar and Hungarian partridges, AND wild turkey.

Adult Resident and all Non-Resident Hunters: $28.00

Connecticut Youth Hunters (ages 12-17): $14.00

Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp

As of July 1, 2016, this stamp has been merged with the HIP permit, and it must be purchased by ALL migratory bird hunters, regardless of age. The stamp is required for anyone hunting waterfowl, rails, snipe, woodcock, and crows.

Adult Resident and all Non-resident Hunters: $17.00

Connecticut Youth Hunters (ages 12-17): $9.00

18-Apr-17
Good thing you posted this Ace I haven't gone in a while and was lost, can you get it on line ?? STEVE

18-Apr-17
You can buy everything on line now.

18-Apr-17
Right. You don't need a migratory game bird stamp for turkeys because turkeys are non-migratory.

18-Apr-17

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

Ace's Link
Turkeys are indeed non-migratory, now coconuts on the other hand ...

You can buy tags and licenses online, at the link.

18-Apr-17

Ace's Link

18-Apr-17
Thanks ace.. yes guys sorry I meant residential bird stamp. Still confused why I need it and my license. Does deep spend money on a turkey program of some sort? Or is it another con for more tax money??

18-Apr-17
Thanks ace.. yes guys sorry I meant residential bird stamp. Still confused why I need it and my license. Does deep spend money on a turkey program of some sort? Or is it another con for more tax money??

18-Apr-17
Ding ding ding we have a winner. Revenue.....Tax...

18-Apr-17
O Ya and another thing I can't use a mouth call for the life of me. Countless hrs of blowing and drooling all over myself to sound like a woopie cushion. I suck!!! I have the primos kit of three and I just gag drool and feel light headed..lmao

18-Apr-17
I wouldn't say it's too much revenue. For $28, you get up to 10 turkey tags (private and state, spring and fall), 10 pheasant stamps, plus the grouse and quail. The latter two were on the small game lic., but to get the pheasant and turkeys separately would've been much, much more previously.

18-Apr-17
Dude,Make sure you clean your mouth calls in a bit of water clorox solution..my step kid got thrush from not cleaning his calls.

18-Apr-17
Shawn, good luck trying for turkeys. Don't forget that you have to tag and report them just like deer if you kill one. As for the stamp....like Brian M. said, it would have cost you a lot more the other way. It's actually a huge cost reduction this year. Enjoy it!

You should get together with Notme if you're gagging and drooling all over. Lol :)

18-Apr-17
Im old,gagging and drooling is natural...lol

19-Apr-17
The resident game bird conservation stamp is not a revenue grab or tax ploy. As Brian and Bloodtrail eluded to, its a great deal compared to before.

From the DEEP website "All revenues from the sale of Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamps will be deposited into a separate, non-lapsing account to use exclusively for the purchase and management of game birds and their habitat".

Remember pheasants are not native and need to come from somewhere as well if you hunt them on state property. Good luck to all and have a safe season.

19-Apr-17
shawnm - box or slate call is what I would recommend. I like the slate better than anything else because it's versatile and easy to use. Once the bird is closing in, I switch to the mouth call with some soft purrs and clucks. But if the bird is coming, keep quiet. I find that some birds will hang up if you call too much (like my past girlfriends, the word "stalker" comes to mind) and some birds won't come in at all unless you call continuously. It's all a fun game.

19-Apr-17
I don't think I'll be going after pheasant with my bow. I got a pretty good shot but not that good. As for the mouth calls I've already given it up.lol.

19-Apr-17
Shawn...point being is that pheasants cost money to stock for the upland bird hunters so money for the stamp also goes towards stocking programs just like funds for the inland fishing license also goes to fish stocking.

As for mouth calls, don't give up it doesn't happen overnight for most. Just try to get a sound out for now when you practice and work from there. Got to crawl before you walk. Good luck.

20-Apr-17
I bought a slate cutter call and it sounds good. I was trying to change it up by getting the mouth calls but I don't think I'll be using them this year. I can get a noise out it just doesn't sound good. I've tried over and over but just can't seem to get it.

20-Apr-17
Mouth calls are def thing of practice but once you master them there is nothing like them. They allow you to the pitch and sound much more realistic. I started turkey hunting 10 years ago with a Quaker boy box call and a gobbler and had good luck. But threw the years practiced a lot with the mouth calls and now I could say I talk turkey. Hahaha...but a gobbler that is fired up will respond to just about anything. Just be patient don't overcall and he will come in on a string. Always try and call elevated to wear you Hear them gobble. They like to make visual before they commit. So the closer they get before they can see what is calling usually works out the best. Good luck!! I will be out with a good friend of mine wed-Friday morning.

21-Apr-17
shawn - try this with the mouth call. Press it hard to the roof of your mouth with your tongue slightly curled like you're trying to shoot a spitball out of your mouth using your tongue as the straw. The trick then is it push the reed against the roof of your mouth and slowly release it to vary to sound. I carried my call with me every where, especially in my truck and I would practice on the way to work, home, out to coffee, to hardware store, every where. Once you get it you'll have a real advantage when the tom is getting close and you want your hands on the gun and as little movement as possible.

Good luck, and remember - just pucker and blow!!

21-Apr-17
Good info Bob!! Especially the pucker and blow!! ;) enjoy the season fellas!

22-Apr-17
I use mainly a box caller but have a mouth caller in my mouth most of the time. When a bird is getting in close I use the mouth call (as BBB said) to avoid any movement. I am looking forward to opening day. There are 3 big mature toms on one of the properties that I hunt and I hope to call them in. I am strictly a shotgun hunter during spring season and am a run and gun type turkey hunter. I killed my first bird in 86 on state land and have taken at least one bird or more almost every year since. Good luck to you all!

22-Apr-17
Hey Gene I was born in 86...lol.. I was a newborn while you were blasting turkeys.. I love it!!

23-Apr-17
Got my first bird in very first hunting season in 1981.

23-Apr-17
Got my first bird in very first hunting season in 1981.

23-Apr-17

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo

24-Apr-17
that's a real hot spot you have there notme!!

24-Apr-17
Theyre dying to get in...hahahaha

24-Apr-17
Too funny!

25-Apr-17
So where do you work again notme??? Lol..

25-Apr-17
On the way to work in shelton..

25-Apr-17
Last night I went for a walk on a new road that goes up the ridge the ski areas is on and had a big tom with at least a 9-10" beard running in the road ahead of me trying to decide which way to go. Not going tomorrow, but may head out Saturday.

25-Apr-17
Looks like its going to be a wash out tomorrow. I've killed many birds in the rain but that was when I was young and stupid. Besides I'm not a sit and wait in a blind type of a guy like you turkey bowhunters, I like to run and gun and actually call them to my position. Anyway, if you do go out tomorrow don't be surprised if you don't hear any gobbling. Good luck

25-Apr-17
Dave was setting up blind today he saw 7 toms together he also checked cameras and has a 8 ptr with horns April 10th I might try next week .

25-Apr-17
longbeard - nothing better than chasing the gobbles all of the ridge. Exciting and so interactive!!

26-Apr-17
bbb I used to have a couple of permissions up your way that allowed me to do just that. Now I'm relegated to just a few small spots down this way so all of my ridge running takes place in upstate NY where I grew up

• Sitka Gear