otcWill 21-Apr-17
a'Lish 21-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 21-Apr-17
otcWill 21-Apr-17
Retired-11-2000 22-Apr-17
a'Lish 24-Apr-17
20-Apr-17
As part of the survey response, I received this yesterday, fyi

Rabbit Mountain Elk Management Plan POSAC Hearing April 27 For Immediate Release April 19, 2017 Media Contact Vivienne Jannatpour, (303) 678-6277 Rabbit Mountain Elk Management Plan POSAC Hearing April 27 Online speaker signup for public testimony begins Thursday, April 20, at noon

Boulder County, Colo. - The Parks & Open Space Advisory Committee (POSAC) will hear a presentation of the Draft Rabbit Mountain Elk Management Plan: 2017-2027, which includes a recommendation for limited public hunting. The POSAC meeting will be held at the Boulder County Courthouse, 1325 Pearl St., Third Floor, in Boulder.

SUBMITTING WRITTEN PUBLIC COMMENT The draft plan can be reviewed at www.BoulderCountyOpenSpace.org/elkmanagement. Written public comment for consideration by POSAC and staff can be submitted in writing at the Rabbit Mountain Elk Management webpage through April 26.

POSAC PUBLIC TESTIMONY SIGN-UP Online sign-ups for members of the public seeking to speak in-person at the hearing on April 27 will begin Thursday, April 20, at noon on the POSAC webpage, www.BoulderCountyOpenSpace.org/posac.

All sign-ups will be placed in order based on the time they are received. Limit three minutes per speaker. Pooled time is also available up to 10 minutes. Those wishing to sign up for pooled time will need to include the names and addresses for anyone donating time to the pool, and those members must be present at the hearing when the group is scheduled to speak.

The list of speakers will be available on the POSAC webpage the mornings of April 26 and April 27 for reference and planning purposes. The final list of speakers will be posted at 3 p.m. on April 27.

In-person sign-ups will also be taken at the meeting, but will be placed at the end of the speaker list following online sign-ups.

BACKGROUND The Rabbit Mountain elk population has grown exponentially in the past several years. It appears the elk have learned to avoid hunters by staying on or around Rabbit Mountain year-round and taking advantage of neighboring agricultural fields.

Because this elk herd has stopped migrating, they are reproducing more rapidly and causing extensive damage to the highly diverse native plants and wildlife habitat of Rabbit Mountain. According to a Colorado Natural Heritage Program 2009 Report, Rabbit Mountain is one of only two foothills areas rated B1: Outstanding Biodiversity Significance. Rabbit Mountain and Red Hill south of the Town of Lyons are the only areas in Boulder County rated B1, where foothill shrublands contribute significantly to the vegetation mosaic on the landscape.

In addition, the elk have caused substantial and increasing damage to neighboring residential fences, landscaping, and agricultural crops.

After careful consideration of many options and techniques in consultation with Colorado Parks & Wildlife, Parks & Open Space staff believes it is imperative to re-establish seasonal migration in this elk herd.

Staff experts believe the most appropriate method to achieve this goal is by allowing limited hunting on county-owned Rabbit Mountain Open Space as part of the state’s existing subunit surrounding the open space property during the state’s regulated hunting season.

If approved, hunting would be combined with other efforts that address the resource and private land damage concerns. These may include limited fencing, hazing, alternative crops, and other efforts to restore damaged habitats.

For more information, contact Therese Glowacki, Resource Management Division Manager, at [email protected], or 303-678-6206.

20-Apr-17
Thanks for posting, I signed up

20-Apr-17
Got that email as well. I'll have to write and send in my comments. I'll be in MT next week.

21-Apr-17
We had 258 comments last week at the closed meeting with CPW and only about 45 "no" comments. They did poor in at the last minute though so someone on the anti side is rallying the troops. Please send your support. We're going to win this one

21-Apr-17
Comments sent.

21-Apr-17
Will, what were some of the anti side comments in opposition? Paul

21-Apr-17
Paul, they ranged from pro contraception to pro wolf reintroduction to pro sharp shooting. I think I can get the list of comments for you. Several heads of historically anti hunting groups posted very informed opinions in support of our management plan. The opposition is approximately 20%.

22-Apr-17
Hope hunting is approved

24-Apr-17
I've just checked the "comments" section of the Rabbit Mountain management plan and it appears that more anti hunting movement has organized. Approximately 60 out of the last 100 comments do not support the plan and many specifically call out to stop the hunting of elk on Boulder County open space.

I don't know if sheer numbers will effect the commissioners, but it wouldn't hurt to have the numbers supporting the hunting solution.

Please contact your hunting buddies and ask for them to comment on this plan.

• Sitka Gear