bill v 21-Aug-17
Hoyter2804 21-Aug-17
Rut Nut 22-Aug-17
bill v 23-Aug-17
Rut Nut 23-Aug-17
bill v 23-Aug-17
Gene 27-Aug-17
20-Apr-17
I grew up in PA but never put in for elk while there. Lived in AZ for a few years and was lucky enough to draw a few tags while there. Now living in WY and looking forward to first hunting season here. Recently I have decided it could be pretty cool to get an elk in PA. No points going in, so don't expect to draw for a quite a few years, but you have to start somewhere. Would happily trade PA info for Northern AZ hunt info. I have not been in WY long enough to really have a firm handle on units but would be happy to ask around among friends. Looking for information on PA Elk Units. Are some units better than others? What units generally have the best bulls? Is public/private land an issue in any of the units. I am really only interested in a bull tag as I can pretty easily shoot a cow elk for meat here every year.

21-Apr-17
A PA Elk tag draw is tough. I have been in it from day 1 and have not even gotten a sniff. But you can't win if you do not put in. As far as the info for better units, you do not get to choose the unit you get drawn for. Hope this helps, but not many guys will take you up on a trade and as a law Pa does not allow people to swap hunts. Hope this helps.

21-Apr-17

HerdManager's embedded Photo
HerdManager's embedded Photo
Most likely you will never draw (like most of us), so I wouldn't worry about it. PGC has lots of info on the website, like this harvest map.

21-Apr-17
I don't believe he was asking to swap hunts but just info on areas. Odds are tough. I also believe points in PA are bonus points, not preference points. You get an extra ticket in the giant drum for each point you have.

21-Apr-17
Here is some info. You can choose a preference on the units or you can pick "no preference" which must be what Bowhunting 5C was referring to. Despite the fact that they are calling the pts preference points I believe they are truly bonus points. APPLYING FOR AN ELK LICENSE •Elk Application Promo Video •Application period: The application period of the elk hunt opens when licenses go on sale in early June and closes July 31. •Applying for and checking the status of an elk license application: Applicants can make application and check on the status of an elk license application through the Pennsylvania Automated License System (PALS) at www.pa.wildlifelicense.com. Click the first radio button, scroll to the bottom of the page, click 'Start Here' and follow the prompts. •Selecting a "preferred" hunt zone: This is a matter of individual preference. Hunters have successfully harvested elk in every hunt zone. Carefully examine each zone considering road access and the amount of available public and private land. Note that your preferred hunt zone has no influence on your chances of being drawn. For example, if you select Zone 2 and are drawn after Zone 2 has been filled, you'll simply be assigned to the next available zone. For more details, consult the Elk Hunt Zone Map Book (PDF - 14 MB), Annual Elk Harvest Maps, the Game Commission Mapping Center and maps of the Department of Conservation & Natural Resources' state forests. Apply Online. The Pennsylvania Automated License System (PALS) is the site to apply for the elk license drawing and check the status of your application. Preference points can also be checked through PALS. •Preference points: Preference points are accumulated for each unsuccessful application; you won't see an accumulated point for the current year's application. You can check your preference points through the Pennsylvania Automated License System (PALS) at www.pa.wildlifelicense.com. Click the first radio button, scroll to the bottom of the page, click 'Start Here' and follow the prompts. If you believe there is an error, please contact the License Division at 717-787-2084. If you did not apply for an elk tag this year, your preference points will not expire; preference points are only lost if you are successfully drawn for an elk tag. You must apply in the current year to be entered into the drawing. •License drawing: The annual drawing for elk licenses typically takes place in mid-August during the Elk Expo at the Elk Country Visitor Center in Benezette. Successful applicants who provide a phone number or email will be notified promptly by those methods, others will receive notification by postal mail.

05-May-17
Don't give up, I drew on my second try and was successful about 5 miles NE of Bennezette.

29-Jun-17
Drawing a Pa. elk tag is about the same as hitting all 6 #s on the Powerball. Does anyone know the numbers for the odds?

29-Jun-17
Your chances go like this. Beating eaten by a Polar bear in Africa, while hunting Yeti riding on a Pennsylvania mountain lion.. No real chance, but hey you can donate... Been putting in for the beginning and am -0- fer. Up till last year Chester County was -0- fer bull drawings.

29-Jun-17
Also, accumulated 14 points.. The max points and nada.

29-Jun-17
I drew a cow tag after 3 or so years of applying.. it can happen!! Shot a nice, fat cow on the 2nd day two years ago.. Beautiful area up there!!

29-Jun-17
I put in for it every year. I'm at 14 myself and have never drawn, but you never know. You have to pay to play.

30-Jun-17
Ohio JIm- don't quote me on the exact numbers, but I believe there are well over 100,000 applications for somewhere around 25 tags?

30-Jun-17
Perry, it is waaaaayyyy less than that. Used to be in the conception around 50K, now it has dwindled...

30-Jun-17
Ok- so odds are MUCH better! 1 in 2,000! ;-)

30-Jun-17
Last year it was around 30K applicants. The first few were over 50K. But, remember it is a "computer generated" odds system... So lots of people in and around the Elk county range will be drawn. Wink, wink.. Watch the broadcasts, happens every year. Like they say "Da fix is in"...

30-Jun-17
Wow! You would think way more than 30,000 would put in for this!

30-Jun-17
You would think but, people grow weary of the odds and also, again the amount of tags drawn around Elk County. Also, I think people get skewed about the avail. of the out of state draw. Unlike any other state, we do not limit out of state draw to say a %, like Maine moose is only 10%..

04-Jul-17
I applied for 2 years and got it. First year I put in for Bull, ANY unit. The second year I put in for either sex, any unit and won. I did use and outfitter that was awesome but not at all fancy. Took me 5 days but I did it. I'm going to keep putting in except maybe only BULL now.

10-Jul-17
Been putting in for bull only for 14 years straight. Must be an anti Chester County thing.

10-Jul-17
PA stinks. Is there any other state that doesn't give preference to residents?? I guess it's all about the $$$$$. Sad.

11-Jul-17
Totally agree Herd... The non resident draw is stupid. Try going to Maine to hunt Moose, the total NR Draw is 10%. Here, unlimited.

And I have problems with an electronic draw as well.

24-Jul-17
Wasn't there 86 tags last year?

24-Jul-17

Rut Nut's Link
Looks like 124 tags total(plus 2 conservation tags)

So if there were 30,000 applications, then there was about a 1 in 242 chance of drawing a tag(not including the 2 conservation tags that were raffled/auctioned off)

04-Aug-17
Year 14 for me. Hopefully this will be the year but if not I will keep on applying. As a non resident, I like the way PA handles the draw.

05-Aug-17
The chances are worse than 1:242, because that would only work if all 30,000 got one entry. If someone has 14 years of points their name is in 14x. I think the odds are around 1:900.

20-Aug-17
has the draw happened yet? I'd love to see the lis............t, with my name on it!

20-Aug-17
Waiting on a call? They didn't live stream this year

21-Aug-17
The regular drawing for 2017 Pennsylvania elk licenses also is scheduled as part of the Pennsylvania Great Outdoors Elk Expo. The drawing is scheduled for Saturday 1 p.m.(Aug 19)

21-Aug-17
no live stream again... That is not groovy.

21-Aug-17
my app page days

" elk app" "pending"

I presume that means " unsuccessful" we just haven't had time to key it in yet

bill

21-Aug-17
I was there for the drawing, didn't hear anyone's name that I knew. The festival was a great time, would have been better with me getting a tag though

22-Aug-17
Hey Andy- you goin' next year? I've always wanted to go out there and check out the visitor center and the festival. Maybe we can get some interest for a "group outing" for next year?

23-Aug-17
it's official!!

bill v= unsuccessful

23-Aug-17
Yeah, but how'd you do in the Elk Draw, Bill??? (sorry, couldn't resist! ;-)

23-Aug-17
yup. that too

27-Aug-17
Year 14 -"unsuccessful" again!

• Sitka Gear