Contributors to this thread:
Jebediah 20-Apr-17
Let's Go 20-Apr-17
Proline 21-Apr-17
hunterma 21-Apr-17
NautiBuoys 21-Apr-17
Will 21-Apr-17
20-Apr-17
I am thinking seriously of getting a climber, and there's one thing I don't understand. It makes sense that when you're sitting there with some weight on both the foot platform and the seat, the whole thing will be stable. But when I stand up (to shoot or, more realistically, to urinate), won't the seat part be easily dislodged because there's no weight on it? And vice-versa for the foot platform if I stretch out my legs, leaving no weight on the foot platform. Any insights appreciated.

20-Apr-17
On most climbers there is a nylon strap that secures the top section to the tree, In addition there is a cord that attaches the top and sections together so that the bottom doesn't get away from you while ascending, descending or taking care of business up there. Be sure to check out these safety items when you buy you climber. Enjoy, Let's Go

21-Apr-17
Logon to Third Hand Archery. He sells a set of climber stabilization straps that prevent that very thing from happening. We have them on all our climbers and they are worth every cent.

21-Apr-17
As already mentioned the stabilizer straps lock the seat and foot platform together and maintain the angle of both to the tree. Makes them rock solid, no worries about either part going anywhere until you loosen the stabilizers when you are ready to descend. If you live near someone that uses one you should probably try one out before buying. They are easy/safe to use but probably not for everyone. I'm in central Mass, PM if you are from the area and want a demo.

21-Apr-17
The teeth on my Summit do bite into the tree (not enough to damage) but enough to hold it steady. As others mentioned, some add a stabilizing strap as well.

21-Apr-17
I hang by back pack on the side of my hand climber, (summit) which gives it weight and thus far it's not fallen. If I had questions, I'd get the third hand stabilizer straps - their bow holder is AWESOME Ill add...

Check them out if you get a climber Jeb.

Overall, if your conscious of where you are and what you are doing, they workout great.

Will

• Sitka Gear