Need some help (turkey)
Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
TBow 21-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 21-Apr-17
8pointer 21-Apr-17
TBow 22-Apr-17
21-Apr-17
I am new to the turkey hunt (first year in fact). I have been out walking and learning about 5 times already (will be all public) and have heard many turkeys and saw a group of about 7 earlier this week. I am starting to get the hang of the area I have been scouting and at least feel more confident in my tactics and ability. The problem with this area is that it is closed most of the week to hunting leaving only a couple of days. I am have been trying to find more areas that I can hunt any day that I am free. The forest lands are vast and I have no idea where to start. I am in northern colorado.

I was hoping that someone could possibly help me out with areas near fort collins that I could head out and start figuring out that would have birds? I also had a few questions with my current situation. Is there a preferred way to call birds (better to call from above them in elevation and make them walk up or down)? What is the consensus on decoys, (order, number, sex)?

That is all that I had in mind that I just did not know and could not find much information on. Any help is appreciated! Anything else that you can think of that would benefit a new hunter would be put to good use. Post here or a PM. Thanks.

21-Apr-17
Hunting and then finding turkeys in the Ft Collins area and to the west, will be a huge challenge and to actually have someone give you actual advice on where to go may not happen as the turkey are few and far and their spots are held dear to the heart. The Merrian turkeys you are hunting can travel a long way from winter area to spring/summers areas and there are lots of private properties in between where no hunting is allowed. If you are up to the challenge then keep looking , scouting with lots of boots on the ground. I gave up years ago and just purchase a couple of Nebraska turkey tags and go hunt.

Tom turkeys like to be on the high ground so calling them down or on the flat is best. A jake and two hens is a good decoys set up. I use a box call and a mouth call.

Have fun and good luck. Paul

21-Apr-17
Keep at it. Sounds like you are in a good area. Like Paul said, get a decoy or a few. Btw I have never killed a turkey using a decoy and have always enjoyed the challenge of calling, sometimes for hours to them, until they can't take it anymore, and come in to die.

22-Apr-17
Thanks for the information and words! That is what I am finding as well (which is fine, I understand). There is nothing out there in all my searching about the area. I guess I will just keep going out through the summer and see what I can find and keep looking. Then I can guard those secrets haha. I may end up just having to head back to Nebraska. Hopefully I can get some time off the next couple weeks and get on the birds I have seen. Anyways, thanks again.

• Sitka Gear