Crusader dad 01-May-17
Mindbender 01-May-17
MF 01-May-17
Polk Co Hunter 02-May-17
Jeff in MN 02-May-17
Swampy 02-May-17
Bootspit 04-May-17
22-Apr-17
For the people that don't believe in baiting deer how many hunt over bait for bear ? Why do you think it's any different ? I know it's harder to hunt bear without bait , but so are deer .

22-Apr-17
"Différance"is a French term coined by Jacques Derrida. It is a central concept in Derrida's deconstruction, a critical outlook concerned with the relationship between text and meaning. The term différance means "difference and deferral of meaning." Well played.

22-Apr-17
Ever try killing a bear doing a spot and stalk hunt with a bow in Wisconsin? Give it a try some time and let us know how it goes.

Is it like shooting fish in a barrel? No, look at the success rate. If it was easy the success rate would be through the roof and all the bears would be gone. 17% success rate in zone C tells a better story than the success rate up north. More bears in Zones A, B and D. Plus dog hunters. It would be interesting to see the success rates in those zones without the use of dogs Vs the use of dogs. Alternate seasons, but we'll never see that,

22-Apr-17
Can anyone imagine how hard it would be to spot and stalk a bear in Wisconsin? Or sit on a stand in some Oak woods, or over a patch of blackberries and hope for a bear to walk by in range. If we couldn't bait bear that would only leave the only effective means to hunt them being with dogs and there are not enough hounds around to handle all the hunters not to even take into account how impossible that would be in areas with a lot of private land.

Update: Just FYI, Mike and I must have been typing our posts at the same time. Proof that great minds think alike.

22-Apr-17
Apples and oranges. I have no issue with bear baiting.

22-Apr-17
Good to hear different points of view . I would imagine it would be impossible to have a guiding service without being able to bait . Tagging bear's is what keeps the customer's coming back .

23-Apr-17

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
The use of dogs is no guarantee that your going to kill a bear every time you turn out. The table clearly shows that baiting is more successful looking at the numbers.

23-Apr-17
Eventually I'd like to be one of the guys who gets it done without bait or dogs. I see that was only 2 with bow in 2015. I'll take my chances.

I don't see much difference in baiting bear vs deer. It draws an animal to a location that makes it easier to kill that animal.

I don't judge those who hunt bear over bait, it's widely accepted and very effective. If Blackwolf hadn't found a more deserving kid to take his bear tag and my boy got it I'd have found a baiter and that's how he would have hunted.

That's just not how I personally want to try and kill my bear.

23-Apr-17
Crusader dad I assume your talking in WI "Eventually I'd like to be one of the guys who gets it done without bait or dogs" It would be a huge accomplishment but be extremely tough to do. You would be in the less than 1% club. I am curious, how would you approach that bear hunt?

23-Apr-17
I guess if I were to try stalking a bear in Wisconsin I would set out a bunch of baits and then stalk up to those baits but even that would be tough. I have done it a few times and I actually did kill a bear that way once, the first bear I ever shot and on the first day I ever bear hunted. I had been sitting at that bait in a chair on the ground (gun). I had this feeling that I was being watched so I rolled my eyes to the left and here is a bear looking right at me from about 2 yards away. (he is on the 4 wheeler path used to run those baits). I knew I had no chance of swinging the gun over so I just sat there hoping he would leave or walk over to the bait pile. Well, he turned himself inside out and ran back where he came from.

So, I figured that bait was toasted for the evening so I walked the path back to another bait on that same trail and sat there. (rookie bear hunter mistake, I would not do that again) Eventually I thought I would time leaving there so I could stalk up to the first bait and get there just before quitting time, which I did. I even took my boots off and walked the last 40 yards walking on my socks. I get to the shooting lane to the bait and there he is, he had no clue I was there. I nailed him, he folded up right on the bait pile.

So, you be the judge, was it a bait killed bear or a stalking kill?

23-Apr-17
You were headed to another bait station with no thought about stalking a bear until you noticed it was already at the bait. I would say no stalking, you just got lucky. If your intent was, lets say, heading out and glassing some grain fields with all the purposes of stalking a bear if you seen one, then its stalking.

23-Apr-17
MF, my dream bear hunt would be canoe trip in the far north part of the state. Id get in deep. Find a patch of native forage that has fresh scat and hopefully an itching tree nearby and sit that in the early mornings and late evenings. From the ground. During the day I'd still hunt trying to track fresh sign. Also having the canoe would allow me to look for sign along the river and take short treks in to see what I can find. I know killing a bear that way would be the equivalent to winning the lotto and I would not be picky. Does this approach make sense? What would you change about my approach?

23-Apr-17
Crusader Dad - If you find a scratching tree put a camera on it. I have one by one of my baits and find that 99% of the time they are using it at night from spring through fall. Yes, they use the same tree year after year.

Just an FYI

23-Apr-17
Crusader dad... It never hurts to dream. The itching tree you are referring to is for territorial purposes and not necessarily used because they have an itch. They are mostly used in the Spring. There are very limited areas in Northern WI that you would be able to get in deep (I assume away from people) without running into another bear hunter, bear guide service, baiting especially that time frame (bear baiting & season) of the year. Bear are not like whitetails, bears can be seen in one area one day and the same bear the next day, totally in another area 10 miles away. Even if you got lucky and tagged one, chances are, its a bear waiting in a staging area near or around a bait station, which it sounds like by your comments above its not what your looking for. I would give you less than 1% chance at filling your tag. You probably would have a great chance at filling your dream in Canada. Only in certain areas though. My comments are in know way meant that it cannot be done, it just would be extremely difficult.

23-Apr-17
they manage to kill lots of bears in Pennsylvania without bait but it is a completely different hunt. The woods are loaded with hunters much like opening day gun deer season here. I'll take the bait along with those that want to poop on it. IMHO

23-Apr-17
GVS. Its just like opening of deer season here (not as many). They make bear drives etc

23-Apr-17
MF, less than 1%... So that means I have hope!!! I know I'd pretty much just have to get lucky but I think it'd be a fun adventure and the bonus of the adventure would be that I have a bear tag in my pocket.

23-Apr-17
Yup 1 in a million, so I am saying you have a chance. If you ever do it, have a back up plan but let us know how it goes. Apply for Zone D...that's the furthest northern zone you can get in WI with huge tracks of public land.

23-Apr-17
Its pretty easy to call a bear in. If it was up to me there would be no baiting for deer, bear, fish, etc.

23-Apr-17
Crusader, for my 2 cents worth I think you would stand a little bit better chance later in the season after most bait stations have been abandoned.

MF, I guess I was stalking or more like still hunting to that bait station where the bear had wanted to have his meal earlier with the hope that that bear had come back. Not quite the same as working a stand of oaks in hopes that a bear will be there for lunch or spotting one in the distance and working to get close.

23-Apr-17
BCD, have you been successful at calling in a bear before?

24-Apr-17
LOL! No baiting for fish? Guess we'd have to rely on nets.

24-Apr-17
Neverbait..."Running bear with dogs is a heck of a lot more ethical than sitting on bait." You have my curiosity, lets hear your explanation, but keep in mind before you tell us that the hound hunters run there dogs off bait stations.

24-Apr-17
This is a no Brainer, Deer are easy to hunt without bait. There numbers are higher and there movement is very noticeable. There are A LOT less bear in the state compared to deer. To control the bear population and have a chance at taking one, bait or dogs are a must. Think about how many deer you have seen being in the woods, driving around, etc. compared to the number of bear?

24-Apr-17
Believe me I wish I could offer spot n stalk hunts like Jim Shockey Outfitters, here in Wisconsin, but it would be nearly impossible to accomplish that on a regular basis.

24-Apr-17
MF-It would be absolutely impossible to do on a regular basis. Getting it done just once would be so close to impossible I can't imagine trying it.

24-Apr-17
No bait for fish? Artificials only? Do-able but why? Now, as a Muskie guy, I only throw baits and don't fish them with suckers.

There is no doubt that the kill shot in bear hunting in WI is meh. You typically have a bear with his head buried in a box of donuts or you have him up in a tree afraid for his life with 6 barking dogs on the ground and people clamoring all around. In all honesty, the tree shot is more difficult because the bear is afraid and moves around and sometimes the terrain is dense the shot angle is high.

To me, bear hunting is all in the means to the end and not the end. I think hunting them with dogs is more challenging because the bear will take the dogs (and people) through the nastiest of shit and rarely off any trail. Sitters have it easier getting in and out for the most part. The best hunts with dogs is when a bear won't tree and you have to get eye to eye on the ground for a kill shot. That is fun stuff.

That all said, I have a tag this year and will be hunting it over bait with my bow. It'll be fun watching them come in to eat and slurp up the sweets.

24-Apr-17
Skookumjt....I usually encourage and don't give up to easily when it comes to hunting etc, but your right, I wouldn't waist my time and money on this one.

24-Apr-17
Woods, I watched the video the first time it was posted. Pretty cool. Just not what I'm looking for at least for my first couple tries. I'll take my one in a million chance at getting lucky. I know it seems like a waste of a tag but I'm fine with that. And if I do get lucky, well then that's going to be one of the highlights of my life! Again, I've nothing against baiters and when my sons time comes, that's most likely how we will do it.

24-Apr-17
To each his own. No one else can determine the level of satisfaction that one gets from his efforts.

24-Apr-17
Drop fine, the data you posted shows baiting is more popular than dog hunting not successful. Dog hunting g for bears is more ethical or sporting than baiting? No one that knows anything about the subject can truthfully say or think that. As dog hunting starts from bait, uses trucks, 2 way radios and GPS collars. There will come a time when 2 way radios and GPS will be considered as not just unethical but illegal. I would like to see GPS bear dog collars activated by a third party official to put some integrity back in the sport. That way the ethical dog hunters are not lumped in with the unethical hunters.

24-Apr-17
I really don't think there is much difference.

You're right...there are less bears. So then why hunt them using bait making it relatively easy (when compared to without bait) to hunt? If there is less of a population, shouldn't the hunt be more challenging?

How man bears are harvested in PA without the use of bait? If they can do it, we can do it.

24-Apr-17
Glunker

The data I provided shows a 4x a higher number than bears taken with dogs. I would argue that there are 4x more bait sitters than dog hunters. Bait sitting is easily more successful way to hunt bear than any other method.

As far as the GPS collars. They help keep me and my dogs out of trouble as I know where they are "most" of the time. Should we consider GPS unethical for all hunting?? You can use them to aide you in many hunt situations. Like you have a buck or bull bedded in a mountain side. Put a way point in where it's bedded and use that to get around the animal and work your way in for a shot knowing the whole time your position in relation to the animals position.

You can't pick and choose to suit "your" needs. It's all or nothing.

24-Apr-17
I suppose you could do it with big monster drives like Pennsylvania does? You may pick off a few. They want x amount of bear taken out of the certain units for population control. They aren't going to do it without bait or dogs with bear. Deer, no problem. Deer are the ones because they are so plentiful, and they are an animal that can be seen easily while hunting, need to be made more challenging to hunt. Or as we have seen, they will be over hunted and harder to find.

24-Apr-17
what kind of a thread is this?? oh wait I know, a very dumb one.

24-Apr-17
Wausau, what makes you think this is a dumb thread? I think it's a general conversation about bear hunting. For the first time in a while, there's been no animosity between any opinions. If you think it's a dumb thread, THEN STAY OFF OF IT!

24-Apr-17
Crusader, I don't think your quest is impossible at all. The biggest problem I see for shooting one without dogs or bait is for you to get permission to hunt private swampy land on the edge of a corn field in unit C. I've seen 11 bear in 21 years going in and out of corn in mid September.

24-Apr-17
+1 CrusaderDad

24-Apr-17
Trapper.... I think CD, if I understand him correctly, wants a wild adventure and would rather kill a bear over a natural food source (not planted).

24-Apr-17
I have called in bear many times while predator hunting. Its actually fun watching them react differently to calls. I've had them charge in(though rare) , mostly they sneak in. Just like deer hunting if you sit and stare at a bait pile you miss half of it. Last time I had a bear tag I sat on a trail and shot one. As for fishing and bait, similar to the deer disease issue, vhs is spread by moving minnows from lake to lake...why risk it. Its more fun when they slam a rubber bait or a crankbait then when they nibble on live bait. But it does take skill so many are out! WD speaking of dopes, to me, your buddy RC shooting cubs over a bait pile would qualify as a dope!

24-Apr-17
Deer and bear are the same difference. So are you for using hounds to pursue deer?

24-Apr-17
There are Southern States that use hounds for deer.

24-Apr-17
Crankbaits and rubber baits are still bait. BCD, you certainly are full of yourself. Now I see what what WD meant.

24-Apr-17
BCD What time of the year are you predator hunting and where did you shoot your bear? Last time you had a bear tag you say you sat on a trail, was that a bear trail? RC shooting a cub? it was a small bear but definitely legal and not a cub. Its not the size of the animal, its the experience of the hunt!

24-Apr-17
You're correct MF. We have a giant bear that lives on my inlaws land. It's been very visible for the last four years. I'm pretty confident that with enough time and patience I could kill it without bait.

I just want to be lost in the "real" up north woods with my bow. No cornfields, paved roads or people.

24-Apr-17
Just remembered, long time ago I was bow deer hunting NW of Hayward. I shot a buck that morning, gutted it and butchered it that evening. Next day went back to the same tree to shoot a doe. To my surprise a bear came in and munched on the gut pile. I could have shot him as he walked toward the gut pile. Again, sort of baiting but not really.

24-Apr-17
Crusader dad... First off, my hats off to you for the dream you have. This bear hunting isn't like whitetail hunting. The big bear that's on your in-laws land, you guys are not the only ones that know its there. I'm sure that bear has visited many bait stations, been captured on trail camera in the area during past seasons and has obviously evaded hunters for a few years now. These monster mature beasts don't get old and wise from being stupid. Unfortunately the way Wisconsin's bear season is structured a novice bear hunter never really has the opportunity to truly gain any knowledge on bear hunting and bears behaviors etc in WI. If hunters were able to buy a bear permit every year I would take you up on a fun challenge that you couldn't kill that bear at your in-laws place. I hope some day you are successful in your quest.

24-Apr-17
A guy from my city just patented a new crank bait. It unclips and you put live bait inside. Clip it back together. Then it creates a scent trail. Google Racine journal times. The article should still be on there.

24-Apr-17
Masterbait, apparently your bait is "bate."

Gives new meaning to you being a "whacko." LOL!

25-Apr-17
Every thread on bowsite goes to shit. You can bank on it. And it's the same people every time. This was a good thread. All done now.

25-Apr-17
I agree. Masterbait offers nothing.

25-Apr-17
It seems some human nature is always to destroy something good!

25-Apr-17
You are correct MF, I posted in haste. I was thinking he wanted to shoot one other than over a bait pile or behind dogs. I re read it again.

Trapper

25-Apr-17
Crusader this is a baiting thread, baiting us to align baiting deer and bears the same way. This is the same argument that pits anti-hunters w/ hunters on the bear season out East. I applaud the idea and challenge of waiting for a bear to come by but its not a viable management tool to harvest bears.

25-Apr-17
Wausaudug hope I didn't offend you to much with this thread . Wasn't meant to get anyone upset .

25-Apr-17
WausauDoug - Differing opinions don't have to divide. Its how those opinions are expressed and who you speak to others that divide. "oh wait I know, a very dumb one.

This is just another great campfire discussion.

I'd still like to know how hunters in PA are successful without bait? Maybe we might have to take up CrusaderDad's approach and not just wait for a bear to come across our path but do some stalking or work together as a party and do drives. Sure sounds a lot more fun.

25-Apr-17
From what I have read, PA has no limits on # of hunters. They run huge drives and shoot at anything on the run; cubs, sows with cubs included. It is not my idea of a quality hunt.

25-Apr-17
Shooting at anything that moves sure doesn't seem like a quality hunt but that could easily be addressed. We could have unlimited numbers but then close it down once the harvest quota has been met.

I know it'll never happen but its a fun conversation to have.

25-Apr-17
I'd be interested in being a walker/pusher on a bear drive. That sounds kind of fun.

25-Apr-17
Neverabrain, do you read and understand the drivel you spew?

In any event, why don't you get your idea as a question on the spring hearings? That would prove what a goof you are.

25-Apr-17
No difference.

26-Apr-17
Big Difference

26-Apr-17
Swampy sorry I thought you started this to start something and of course Woodswalker jumped on to ruin it. Baiting bear is one of 2 viable ways we hunt bears w/ any kind of success rates. Baiting deer is not warranted to see and hunt deer and also affects those around them. as LC would say my 2 cents

26-Apr-17
The action is the same, the warrant to do is totally different. Not even delusional!!

26-Apr-17
So the difference then is people who know how to hunt deer, and the ones who don't know how to hunt deer and never will because of there vice?

26-Apr-17
I believe he meant more than the act when he started this thread.

26-Apr-17
You sound like an attorney.

26-Apr-17
Baiting not needed for bear return like it was years ago but a tag allow harvesting of bear during rifle n archery season problem solved!!! Watch the hound hunters(Howl) over this. !!

26-Apr-17
When tags were part of the bow and gun licenses, baiting was allowed. The difference was that there were very few people that participated in the sport and the number of bear was a fraction of what it is now.

There is no difference between baiting for deer and baiting for bear. The hunter is putting food out in hopes of increasing odds of harvesting.

The difference is that is would be nearly impossible to harvest a bear without the use of hounds or baiting.

26-Apr-17
RC, Capt Mike, is a decoy, rattling or a call baiting ?

26-Apr-17
For those of you that claim it's almost impossible to kill a bear without baiting I would guess there are hunters that bait deer and feel the exact same way, that it's almost impossible for them to kill a deer without bait. I remember a few years back (or so) when several hunters were complaining to the DNR that there weren't many deer around as they weren't seeing many, some of these hunters were told they just need to "hunt harder". Maybe "hunting harder" could be attempted by bear hunters to increase bear sightings instead of relying on a crutch like baiting or running them down with dogs. IMO classifying bear hunting (the way it's done here) as a "sport" is quite a stretch of the imagination.

26-Apr-17
BCD - I know you didn't ask - but, NO to your question. Baiting exclusively allows for bait (food) placed over a sight to attract an animal. It's like saying "Is placing a tree stand baiting"?

HunterR - Everyone is free to bait/not bait dogs/no dogs they hunt the way they want to hunt. Just because a guy uses dogs (I don't like) does not make them belter/worse of a hunter. Because a hunter chooses to bait deer - he/she is no less a hunter than you or me!

If it's legal - you have my full support even if I don't agree personally with that - it's a legal method and all the more power to you!

26-Apr-17
Stupid question. A decoy is a decoy, if it was baiting it would be called baiting and not be called a decoy. C'mon, if you are savvy enough to access this site I'd guess you can find an online dictionary. Rattling and calling are both forms of sound. Again, I suggest you consult a dictionary.

27-Apr-17
Technology there were no food plots in the 70.Es You relied on farm Fields in the agricultural country and acorns in the north food plots bait piles all the same All disrupt the the natural movement of the ?? deer And Bear ??. Whoever don't think food plots and bait pile's attract animals in the same way let me know what you're smoking maybe your food plot is a medicinal plot

27-Apr-17
Technology there were no food plots in the 70.Es You relied on farm Fields in the agricultural country and acorns in the north food plots bait piles all the same All disrupt the the natural movement of the ?? deer And Bear ??. Whoever don't think food plots and bait pile's attract animals in the same way let me know what you're smoking maybe your food plot is a medicinal plot

27-Apr-17
Seems as though there are not many here who have bear hunted.

27-Apr-17
so w/ your extreme literal logic trapping is then the same as baiting for deer since we add scent and whatever to the trap? I've heard this line of thinking before - "rat is pig is boy." You've aligned yourself w/ some really good people

27-Apr-17
I've never bear hunted and really don't have a desire to because it doesn't seem very challenging.

Now if you could just get a tag at the counter I might be tempted and try it by putting in time learning and scouting. Maybe get some guys and do a drive.

27-Apr-17
WausauDoug- are you referring to snaring deer?

27-Apr-17
no Tweed, i was talking about fur bearers because there is an attractant involved to lure the animal so I guess its all the same?? Woods Cellar sounds like I hit a nerve.. I don't typically follow your posts on BS but you obviously want to justify your baiting and sleep a little better at night? Maybe its Woodsdweller/ Rc/... i"m sure others know of more previous handles to add

27-Apr-17
Going back to the original post: "For the people that don't believe in baiting deer how many hunt over bait for bear ? Why do you think it's any different ? I know it's harder to hunt bear without bait , but so are deer . "

1: It's not that I don't believe in baiting deer, I just don't practice it. I have hunted bear over bait. 2: I can't answer the 2nd question because I have never baited deer. You would have had to participate in both activities to have a valid answer. I have been a successful deer hunter without bait and I probably would be successful with bait. I have been a successful bear hunter with bait. I doubt that I would be successful without bait, if so there would have to be some luck involved.

27-Apr-17
woodsdweller, stay off the drugs son - you're loosin it. And the BS rule #1 is if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck... back on track - Keith x2

27-Apr-17
I wish I had more time to keep up on this stuff. You can't buy entertainment like this. CD, follow your dream. you don't have to kill a Bear to be successful. Plus if you did kill one your way you could die a happy man. I think you would have a better chance in Alaska.

27-Apr-17
Yet another example of the simpleness of mind that Masterbait has.

27-Apr-17
OMG....now we see who the dopes really are...You are so easy to bait! LOL

Capt Mike.."Crankbaits and rubber baits are still bait."

but then when asked about other methods that attract deer ....

Capt Mike..."Stupid question. A decoy is a decoy, if it was baiting it would be called baiting and not be called a decoy. C'mon, if you are savvy enough to access this site I'd guess you can find an online dictionary. Rattling and calling are both forms of sound. Again, I suggest you consult a dictionary."

Ronny..."While the question wasn't directed to me I'll respond to the BCD silly question. See CaptMike's reply.

Thanks."

Talk about getting your ass handed to you...LOL F'n Gameover DOPES!

27-Apr-17
BCD, do calls and urine scents imitate food? Better give mommy the computer back, fourth grade starts early tomorrow.

27-Apr-17
This thread has the makings of a record breaker...

27-Apr-17

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo

28-Apr-17
Albino -100!

Just because something has been done a certain way in an area for such a long time doesn't mean that crusaderdad won't be successful doing it HIS way.

Who know... Maybe CrusaderDad will show how it's done with good research, scouting and woodmenship.

28-Apr-17
"Maybe CrusaderDad will show how it's done with good research, scouting and woodmenship" I have done the research, scouting and I have great woodsmen ship. I have more hands on experience and knowledge than most on bears (In Wisconsin). I would absolutely love to see someone achieve this goal but because of my knowledge I would not recommend it. The way Crusader dad wants to kill a bear would be extremely hard, now if he sat over a bear trail leading to and from a corn field his odds would increase and would be better but even then at that time of year (Mid September) the bears slow down in the consumption of corn as the milking stage is at its end. He could do all the pre-scouting he wanted, find great bear sign but all that hard work would change once the heavy baiting (bait stations) starts from others.

Crusader dad, I invite you this summer to spend some time with me in the Northwood's I can point you in the right areas you are looking for, then its up to you.

28-Apr-17
If someone wants to put some challenge into bear hunting that is not as challenging as what CD is planning to do then try what our little group of 2 has done in our last two Minnesota bear hunts. This year we will do the same thing but there will be a rookie bear hunter joining us.

In all these hunts we went to areas we have never been to before. All pre scouting was done via internet. County plat maps, google sky, etc. Picked an area and went to it.

First year we arrived at camp and started baiting on about the 6th day of the season. Four of our six baits were never hit. The other 2 were hit after a few days and we hunted them but never saw anything from them. On the last day of our hunt (which was only like 7 days) I dumped some bait on and sat over a bait that someone else had abandoned (the sign had been removed) and shot an average bear.

The next hunt we did the same but arrived about 5 days before season to start baits. This time, buy the time season opened, all 6 baits were being hit. I sat 3 evenings on a bait that had a nice bear using it but never saw it. Tried another bait but nothing. Partner saw a nice sow with 3 cubs on one of his baits. On his third sit he shot a 350# boar. The next evening I sat on a bait that had not been hunted, finally had the right wind for that stand and shot a 180# boar.

This year we are are a bit undecided between two areas, they are sort of close enough to each other that we might bait both areas and put on a few extra miles baiting. With three of us we could divide our 9 baits between the two areas and still be able for the 3 of us to hunt the same general area on the same evenings.

No it is not what CD is proposing but it is a way to DIY hunt bear without the expense of hiring a guide or the expense of traveling a long ways to pre bait a few times. I think waiting until the second or third week of the season would be a good angle too because 90 percent of all the bait sites around you no longer have bait on them. (well except for the corn piles you would see in Wisconsin)

28-Apr-17
very cool, nothing more exciting than hunting new areas / spots

28-Apr-17
"you're loosin it"

What? "Loosin it"? Lose, loose, loosening, losing, loosen....am I getting anywhere close to what you were trying to say? It always makes me laugh when someone who can't spell and struggles with grammar and forming sentences critiques posts that others make. Just one of the many reasons I enjoy bowsite.

Speaking of bear shooting, if bear shooters had a longer season with more opportunity and didn't have to wait years to get a tag, I wonder if killing one wouldn't be such an "impossible" task? Possibly the desperate factor wouldn't be so prevalent and maybe we'd see less 150 lb large cubs/yearlings with jelly filled donuts in their mouth "trophy" pics? Just a thought, but I imagine the revenue the current season structure brings in for the DNR is the driving force compared to having a season that is more logical and benefits the hunters and the resource. (Something the DNR doesn't seem to have as a priority these days.)

28-Apr-17
"if bear shooters had a longer season with more opportunity and didn't have to wait years to get a tag, I wonder if killing one wouldn't be such an "impossible" task?"

Agreed.

MF- do you think if there was no baiting of bears they could be hunted in a fashion more like they are in Canada or OK?

28-Apr-17
I haven't been on the sight for a while.. Nothings changed.

28-Apr-17
Tweed....The answer is no, Wisconsin does not have the land mass as Canada or OK, we don't have a Spring hunt and we don't have a huge population of bears. Example in British Columbia they have one of the largest concentrations of Black Bears (160,000). In BC there is no baiting, most Outfitters guide near the coastal areas when the bear are on the beaches and are feeding on clams, grass etc. You can go inland also, which consists of glassing then spot and stalk. Most on here that try and argue the point that bear hunting could be done in WI without bait have never hunted bear in Wisconsin before or have not tried. Most don't even realize your average size black bear is only 125lbs and not 150. The way Wisconsin's bear season is structured, especially during September with all the foliage out, it would be almost visually impossible to spot a bear in the swamps and big woods. Even in the big clear cuts up here you wouldn't see any bear, they have no reason to be there, there's no natural food source there for them. I love how some people criticize about the small bears some hunters kill but they don't take into consideration that most, its there first time bear hunting and the ones that have bear hunting experience pass on those smaller bears and are waiting for a more mature bear. Its the same as deer hunting, chances are your first deer probably was a doe or a small buck. Over the years you gain whitetail knowledge and pass up on those smaller bucks hoping for a bigger more mature buck. With bear hunting here in Wisconsin you don't have that luxury of getting a tag every year like we do for deer. I would really enjoy guiding clients in WI on a spot & stalk type hunt....but I would go out of business.

28-Apr-17
Tweed, most bear hunting in Canada is done over bait. As MF said, there are certain geographical areas where spot and stalk is possible. Beaches and river banks are one (but the Bears are there because of the availability of food) or in mountainous areas where a hunter can glass large areas from a vantage point.

It is obvious that some people (master) have no concept of what bear habitat is or anything abut bear hunting.

28-Apr-17
As MF said I think very few guide's would have any clientele after the first year . With 0% success rate . I have known of guy's using a predator call for calling them in . I would think for it to work you'd need a heavy bear population and a slim food supply .

29-Apr-17
"I would think..." is funny stuff coming from the habitual trespasser who to this point has shown no ability to think. Neverathinker, with the majority of hunters in the state coming from the southern part, just how many hunters do you think will put in near enough effort to make a season like you suggest viable?

29-Apr-17
I don't think a longer fall season is practical. Minnesota season opened Sept 1 for a long time and worked well. Then they tried opening the season about a week earlier and what happened? The bears being shot had horrible fur, it was just not filled out yet and hunters complained. So back to Sept 1. People that did nuisance control on bears hitting crop fields knew the fur would be horrible but I guess sometimes you just have to try a new idea to convince the uninformed that it won't work.

Adding time after the current closing date, why? Hardly anyone hunts the last couple of weeks as it is. Bait guides have quit baiting well before the end of season. Even so the hides would be awesome, not that many more bears would be shot so why not. A few bow hunters on deer stand with a bear tag might get a chance at one. Dog hunters will probably love a later season. Just don't expect to see many more bears shot because of it.

Update: I wonder if the DNR has stats on how many bears are shot in each of the last two weeks of the current season. I bet they do.

29-Apr-17
Neverbait- Start applying for a WI bear tag, 5-7 years is to long to wait so apply in Zone C you might draw in the first year, second year for sure. Once you receive one, put your average woodsmanship to the test and show us how its done. You can hunt private or public land but not over bait or a man made food source. You can even do a Live Hunt Thread so we can follow along. Anyone can say this and that but most will fail when they try to put there words into action. (So one gets a tag every 5-7 years, I would think anyone with average woodsmanship would be able to kill a bear in 5-7 years worth of trying without the aid of the crutch) I would like to see someone attempt this in WI and when its over with, successful or not, give an honest opinion.

29-Apr-17
I can say one thing.. I was fortunate to kill my first bear with my bow 3 years ago no bait no hounds just lucky sitting in my bow stand. I passed 7 small bear on the bait then the bait dried up and decided to try for my buck. I bait for friends every year and the success rate is nearly zero. they come in early with lots of action and then they go to the acorns and corn. They have seen a few and passed, I do not see baiting as a crutch otherwise all my friends would have killed a bear. It is legal and a ethical kill is by no means easy. If you want to spot and stalk a bear in WI i applaud your effort but good luck. In my opinion know one here is any better than the rest of us. Now I understand why this sight has a nickname of bitchy bow hunters. Enjoy fellas.

29-Apr-17
Neverabrain, not man enough to follow your own advice? LOL!

29-Apr-17
Polk Co Hunter.... On your deer stand that you shot your bear from was there corn placed there for the deer?

29-Apr-17
Neverbait....I figured you wouldn't take me up on the challenge

30-Apr-17
Once again I am not saying it cant be done, I set the challenge, but now you throw out terms and conditions knowing it will never happen in WI, the more challenging it should be then. So I guess its safe to say your backing out and we will assume you cant do it with our current Rules & regulations. "Its easy to say this and that, but when the time comes to step up to the plate most people forget the bat!"

30-Apr-17
MF, you have it correct. Nothing but an ignorant blowhard.

30-Apr-17
"Polk Co Hunter.... On your deer stand that you shot your bear from was there corn placed there for the deer?" The reason why I ask this question is people unknowingly brake the law (bear regulation law). You said you killed a bear years ago without bait. Your intent was to kill a buck off of your deer stand so its safe to say you have your archery deer license appropriately attacked to your back and not your bear license back tag. This is my understanding. If you had corn at that stand for deer and happen to shoot a bear that comes in, it is now considered an illegal bear bait because the bait was not covered per regulation, thus an illegal kill. If you shot that bear before the rule was passed "covering bait" then a person is legal. There are some screwy regulations out there that can be twisted not in our favor of the hunter.

30-Apr-17
I have read your posts....It was my challenge to you with the current rules & regulations we have now. You declined...so be it. No big deal, I just want someone to try that type of hunt here in WI (no Bait) and give a honest opinion whether successful or not.

30-Apr-17
I'm just a guy who wants to have a grand adventure just as much as a bear hunt.

I do think that more people would be successful doing it my way if more tried. I would be surprised if there were more than 50 people throughout the state that try to hunt my way in a season. If more tried then more would be successful.

Before I hunt my way, my son will be doing his bear hunt. He wants to hunt over bait but from the ground without a blind. I think that's a pretty cool way to get it done as well. When I get to old trying my way then I'll switch to my sons way.

30-Apr-17
Hears an pipe dream idea- (I know there's huge flaws)

Two different type of bear tags. One that uses the current system of points and another that you can buy each year but cannot utilize bait.

This thread has me thinking about starting to apply for one just to give it a shot.

30-Apr-17
What is the success rate for bear hunters in the state? If it is as easy as some claim, it must be near 100%?

01-May-17
MF No, I have never tried hunting over bait for deer believe it or not. I was just frustrated after sitting on my "Bear Bait" seeing only small bear. The bear was walking down my 4 wheeler trail eating acorns. He got wind of me at 23 yds turned and quartered away and was able to put a clean kill shot on him. I was just very lucky to be in the right place at the right time. He was no means a monster but dressed at 272#. I considered it a trophy because of shooting a free ranging bear in WI.

01-May-17

Polk Co Hunter's embedded Photo
Here are a couple of photos.

01-May-17

01-May-17
PCH, looks like you shot the right size bear! If he was any taller he wouldn't fit on that wall. Congrats!

01-May-17
One thing I can say is in the last ten years or so I have had at least eight bears that came into range by chance while I have been in the bow stand for deer on our home property in Polk Co.. During this season I just happened to have my first bear tag and was able to capitalize on the situation.

01-May-17
Thank you Crusader Dad!

01-May-17
Very nice!!

01-May-17
Thanks CaptMike..

01-May-17
Polk Co Hunter...."He was no means a monster but dressed at 272#." The size, really! That's a great bear, you add 17 to 19% live weight and you have a bear that's 320lbs. Awesome bear but, I would have had a half body mount done, more room for some whitetails on that wall.

01-May-17
What is the price difference between a half body mount and a rug?

01-May-17
Great job

01-May-17
I might be wrong but I think I paid less for a half body mount than if I would have had a rug made. I personally like the half mount, it takes up less space ect.

02-May-17
I do think the half body is less expensive but I cant remember the difference. This bear is 7' from nose to tail at $150 per foot for the rug.

02-May-17
I was just snooping around on Michigan DNR bear seasons. Interesting how they have their three seasons setup. They overlap. Takes about 5-12 years for a non resident to draw as only up to 2% of the draw can be NRs. Residents can draw just about every year in some cases. I used to apply and let my applications laps so I got knocked down to zero many years ago. Here are their seasons, they might vary slightly in some zones.

Sept. 10 - Oct. 21

Sept. 15 - Oct. 26

Sept. 25 - Oct. 26

02-May-17
PCH you lucky son of a gun . Congrates . Apparently you have a high bear population by you . Again good going !

04-May-17

Bootspit's embedded Photo
Bootspit's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear