bgram 25-Apr-17
Babysaph 25-Apr-17
Babysaph 25-Apr-17
hoppies56 26-Apr-17
Babysaph 27-Apr-17
gobbler 28-Apr-17
24-Apr-17

bgram's Link
Ok, I have some concerns here. After paying taxes (income, property, and sales), and buying a hunting/fishing license, we will have to start paying a "user" fee? I'm all for supporting our park systems, but is this necessary right now? For one it's another cost we'll have to pay to still not hunt on most parks, but still have the money pay for trails in the off season and park upkeep? Is there a valid reason to not have hunting opened up at least in sections of the state parks? It'll draw more revenue for the state and communities.

Also, if this results in loss of visitors to the parks (possibly the state too) will this budget short fall result in parks shutting down? What happens then to thousands of acres, sold off for pennies of the dollar? Will this fee apply to WMAs? Im not trying to be an alarmist, but where did this fee come from all of a sudden, or had it been looked at for awhile?

24-Apr-17
The reason you can't hunt in the park is because it offends the flower sniffers. You have to pay a fee because our gubner didn't pay his taxes

24-Apr-17
He can't pay his taxes because he's too busy building onto the Greenbriar.

25-Apr-17
35 other states all ready have such a fee ,A 12 dollar annual fee or 2.00 dollars per vehicle, Heck i pay more than that to park at county fair, or local sporting event. This has nothing to do with Governor Jim paying or not paying his taxes. WV is broke and we need to generate some money for up keep of our state parks . Just sayin

25-Apr-17
^^^^Nailed it^^^^^^

And we do have the opportunity for limited hunting for deer in some state parks.

We are poor and broke, have to raise money some how.

25-Apr-17
Went to Maryland last year to hike at Cunningham Falls. It cost $28 for the four of us to hike one time - $12 seems pretty fair to me. Maryland also charges non-residents more than residents - WV may want to consider doing the same.

25-Apr-17
Oh forgot to mention the place was overrun with people but the facilities were in excellent shape. I think $28 was to pricey and won't go back but I would have had no problem if it had been $12.

25-Apr-17
Most of our parks were built in 60s and 70s. Upkeep had not been a priority for last 10-15 years. At this time it would take at least 50 million to get everything up to par at all Parks . This fee will be a drop in the bucket to fulfilling that need but it's a start and will help keep Parks open and presentable to the public. Parks are expensive to operate. Personally, I think it's long overdue.

25-Apr-17
Talking in another forum about this - I agree it's long over due gobbler but I wouldn't mind seeing them maybe give a free pass to wv senior residents, but this is a good starting point.

25-Apr-17
I think we will see some refining of it. As the Director stated this is a pilot program right now and as most pilot programs it gives a chance to work bugs out of system and makes changes as it continues.

25-Apr-17
My main concern is like anything else, once its in it'll never go away. The pricing now is not bad, but it will go up. With more shortfalls projected in the future, less budget money to go around, how long you think before the state starts to cut budgeting expenses to parks saying the fees will offset the costs? Once that money is reallocated, the park system will not see it again from Charleston. I guess we can only keep hoping this state can get back going before it's too late. I have no problem at all with the pricing, but im afraid it's opened a can of worms.

They still need to do more for hunters, i think it would bring in more money if they did the controlled hunts a bit different or more days.

25-Apr-17
You are right hookman. If you and I didn't pay ours we would be under the jail.

25-Apr-17
And I was just being sarcastic. LOL. I agree btw that the parks need upkeeping but it does make me mad that we elected someone that raises our taxes and doesn't pay his bills. You should see what he owes his vendors. No wonder he is a billionaire. Now you guys know I am all for hard work and getting what you work for. I do think it should be a level playing field though. Well thats my non bowhunting related rant. Sorry

26-Apr-17
Governor Jim , Cancels order regarding fee at state parks

27-Apr-17
Told ya. Flower sniffers worn ever allow that to happen

28-Apr-17
It's a long story.

• Sitka Gear