notme 26-Apr-17
Richm444 05-May-17
bigbuckbob 05-May-17
grizzlyadam 05-May-17
N8tureBoy 06-May-17
CJD437 14-May-17
Bigbuckbob 15-May-17
24-Apr-17
Hey guys just a reminder to make sure that you treat all of your hunting clothes before the opener with permethrin. With all of this talk of nasty ticks and the diseases they carry it's better to be safe than sorry.

24-Apr-17
I'd rather just check for ticks than apply chemicals that surround my body.

24-Apr-17
I hear you Bob. Heck, a prime reason I hunt/garden is healthy food. But im done with tick risks. More and more serious illnesses are attributed to the little creeps. Given our daily chemical load is not to crazy, increasing it briefly is worth the risk, to me at least. Up to you. I sure get it re chemical load! Just wiegh the risk, well, and if you skip it, go nuts with the tick checks and immediate shower with the scrubby luffa to make sure the ticks that may be on you are not on long.

24-Apr-17
Id rather do chemicals with chicks...wait ive done that,i think,cant remember,c o l o r......

24-Apr-17
How about some good off with deet??

25-Apr-17
I've had mixed results with that shawn. I usually use that if I run into the woods quick and check on a cam or something or hanging stands in the summer. I found that they make a scent free version but with its use have found an occasional tick on my clothes. Regardless of which product you use always perform thorough checks as bob stated. Can never be too safe, you don't wanna risk bringing ticks home to yourself or family.

25-Apr-17
One thing I've done for years is bring a change of clothes with me, so that when I get to the truck I take off my jacket, shirt and pants, shake them out, throw them in the bed of the truck and put on my sweats. This has worked great since I used to watch ticks crawl up my pant legs and shirt sleeves while driving home. It also allows me some time to look for ticks on my body as I change clothes. When I get home I shower and check my back side out in the mirror.

25-Apr-17
Yuk!!!!

25-Apr-17
I'm bringing my daughter with me for my opening day. I'm really worried obviously she has long hair. I don't think i got the money or time to get them sent out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also I really don't have the money to buy her full camo. If anyone's got old camp that there kids don't fit into please let me know. I could pay for the shipping and a little extra for your time and convenience. Thanks everyone and good luck tomorrow morning.. gobble gobble!!!

25-Apr-17
Spray the inside of the face masklet it dry,put her hair up

25-Apr-17
Shawn - DEET does not work real well on ticks. It may off put some, but more will be willing to deal with it. Permithrin is really the key thing. You can get it in Camping at Dicks and I've seen it in wally world too - in smaller spray bottles (like OFF). My Son is a brain cancer survivor, so I'm extra sensitive to potential chemical load risks. But I'm equally unhappy with risking life long heart malfunction's or arthritic/autoimmune illnesses or what not due to ticks. So, I risk it for me, and the kids.

For them, we keep some of their clothes as "fishing and woods" clothes. That gear is treated with permithrin, dried well, and then they wear it most of the time when in the woods. Can you tuck your daughters hair up in a ball cap?

As for camo, if she has some sort of beat up tan/gray/olive/light green/black clothes that would be getting tossed soon, just use that. if you want, draw random branches on it with a sharpie... But point blank, who cares.

A good buddy of mine, a few years back, we were trying to get a bird with his son, who was maybe 10. He had no camo. He was wearing black addidas track pants, white sneakers, a carhart jacket (sort of tan) and a green ball cap. I called in a few birds and they were getting danger close, but the kiddo's inability to sit still resulted in busted birds. In camo, maybe they get a shot... but I doubt it, movement kills. So, if you cant gete camo or make some, just let her wear whatever and have fun!

25-Apr-17
Don't forget your Thermocell...or two. Its damp out there right now. This weekend will feel like the Amazon jungle in the woods with the heat coming.

25-Apr-17
I put my 8 yr old grandson in one of my old camo shirts over his clothes, and when he sits down he can hide his legs under the shirt tails. I brought him a change of clothes as well and showered when we got home and made sure there were no ticks on him.

Long hair is an issue. They have the tight head masks but not sure that would do the trick. Maybe put it up in a bun, spray a hat, let it dry and hope for the best. Then, check for ticks.

25-Apr-17
Hey.... notme has been using it for years and there isn't anything wrong with him.

25-Apr-17

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo
Re-treated today

25-Apr-17
Get naked and have your wife/girlfriend check!may lead into something else! Never know!! Good Luck to anyone going out!

25-Apr-17
ATTENTION: Permethrin KILLS CATS and FISH. Spray your clothing outdoors until damp - inside / outside - on a calm day. Make sure you cover your nose and mouth. Make sure you do not have any OPEN wounds exposed to the liquid. USE GLOVES ON YOUR HANDS regardless. Use a quality bottle sprayer. LET THE CLOTHES DRY SLOWLY IN A SHADED AREA. This treatment will last thru 6 wash cycles.

The spray you buy in the store is only 0.5% permethrin. It is better to make your own. Use only 1%, no more than that concentration, for clothes.

I do it as following:

You start with 1 quart = 32 fl oz = 946.35 ml of permethrin solution at 36.8% concentration which you buy on Amazon from:

1. http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-SFR-32-oz-Bottle/dp/B003IMO3I2/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TCB8WCQ588BWZQK6VPZ

or

2. http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-36-8%25-permethrin-Quart-6666105/dp/B0048EY6KY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429783251&sr=8-1&keywords=permethrin+36.8%25

or

3. http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-SFR-32-oz-Bottle/dp/B003IMO3I2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429783294&sr=8-2&keywords=permethrin+36.8%25

=============================================================================================

to make 1% permethrin spray - mix 25.72 ml (0.87 fl oz) of 36.8% permethrin solution in 920.63 ml (31.1 fl oz) of distilled water - this is good for clothing spray (for easy mix use 1 fl oz permethrin solution at 36.8% concentration into 1 quart distilled water)

to make 5% permethrin spray - mix 128.58 ml (4.35 fl oz) of 36.8% permethrin solution in 817.77 ml (27.65 fl oz) of distilled water - this is good to spray the house floors and around house foundation

to make 10% permethrin spray - mix 257.20 ml (8.7 fl oz) of 36.8% permethrin solution in 689.20 ml (23.3 fl oz) of distilled water - this is good to spray your lawn

=============================================================================================

You can buy it in a gallon size from http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-Insecticide-Termiticide-Termites-Crickets/dp/B003ORU2PO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429783351&sr=8-3&keywords=permethrin+36.8%25

26-Apr-17
Six - after reading what Crow said about notme using it for years,.......I'm going to pass. My wife says I'm already stupid for chasing birds at o-dark hundred, I don't need to become stupid AND crazy.

26-Apr-17
I think notme inhaled it by "mistake". I am more concerned about what BoneHead wrote.

26-Apr-17
Yeah, if you have a wife you better not have a girlfriend

26-Apr-17
Something aint right with that boy!!!

05-May-17
Tics are on the attack big time- I always set up under hemlocks which they must love

05-May-17
you set up under a hemlock for turkey or deer? For turkey I like to hunt mature hardwood stands with a lot of wide open space and I rarely see a tick on me in those locations. I just sit against a big tree facing the direction of the gobbles. For bow, I stand behind the tree and wait for the bird to get behind another tree or rock before drawing back.

05-May-17
http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Specialty-Clothing/Mens-Bugproof-Clothing%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104590080/i/103952880/Cabelas-Bug-Skinz8482-Bugproof-Clothing/5431.uts

Been using these for over ten years. They work 100%!!! I've mentioned it more times that I can remember on this site.

06-May-17
Thanks Grizz. I just ordered some. Can't beat the price

14-May-17
There's a product made by Sawyer in the yellow/black can. Ive had great success with this but remember it only goes on clothes NOT skin. There is another product called Ultra Shield which I hear is a lot better. It was originally made for horses but I know a lot of hunters that use this and swear by it. I believe you can get it in feed stores not sure about Cabelas and the other outdoor stores. Good luck!!!

15-May-17
I know a lot of hunters who swear as well, but I'm not taking their advice :)

• Sitka Gear