Will 31-May-17
Charlie Rehor 03-Jun-17
Jebediah 03-Jun-17
spike78 03-Jun-17
Jebediah 03-Jun-17
BQP 03-Jun-17
Jebediah 03-Jun-17
24-Apr-17
Watch out.. I been hunting deer and turkey every year for over 40years. This year is the worst I ever seen the ticks. Been out a few times scouting - 1st time had about 25 on me. Went out to the berkshires turkey hunting today..picked over 100 off my pants. They are unbelievable this year. Stood by my truck picking them off myself for 15 min. had to wait a while to double check before getting in the truck and found 12 more. When I was sure I got them all, I got in my truck and headed back toward the Springfield area while driving home on the Mass Pike, found 6 more. Got home and found 3 more on myself. Now Im checking myself every time I feel the slightest thing crawling or even brushing up against me... Not sure if its just the spots I been to or its gonna be a bad year everywhere. So be careful..

24-Apr-17
they are keeping me out of the woods. even fishing with not a lot of bushwacking got bit in the back of knee. its a huge problem cant wear pemetherin clothing all the time!!!

24-Apr-17
You know I think they infest a particular bush, and perhaps not even neighboring bushes--then you walk through that one bush and you're covered. Another day you don't hit any bad bushes and you're fine. Hate it. Come out with ticks on me and then laying in bed at night I convince myself they're still crawling on me. I know an old man who believes increasing ticks are due to coyotes, who have decimated the ground-feeding birds, and so these birds no longer eat the ticks.

24-Apr-17
I've heard it's the bumper crop of acorns,which produces a baby boom for mice,which are the preferred host for ticks. Who knows for sure,but I've only hunted spring turkey twice,and both times I ended up with dug in ticks. Now I just wait for fall. Have fun guys,and be careful out there!

25-Apr-17

primal's Link
It is a bad year. Im sure many of you use it but the Sawyer product is outstanding. I sprayed my camo, hat & gloves with it and didn't have one on me. I also use deep woods off on my pants cuffs, sleeveves, waist & neck.

I spray for ticks for work and use the Sawyer on my helpers & son when we hit the woods. So far no ticks.

Good luck!

25-Apr-17
I'd second Sawyers. Only thing I've found that really works well.

25-Apr-17
I also use Sawyers but you have to follow the directions closely. I spay it on my tick suit for double protection.

25-Apr-17
Sawyers is awesome, Love Hate that stuff - love because it works, hate because well, it's BAD stuff (which is why it works).

Light winters are an issue with ticks too. Has to be really cold to kill off a number of Nymph stage or adult stage ticks, and we are going on like 3 years now with light winters. Plus, that helps increase Mice/rodents which certainly help the little creepers out.

Cant stand the little creatures!

25-Apr-17
Put a heavy dose of permethrin around any entry points (cuffs) and I have no problem. During late deer season I went through a stand of tall grass thinking we would be done with ticks by that time of year and watched wave after wave crawl up my leg as I sat in the stand. Once you see a couple on you, hard to get over the feeling that they are everywhere.

25-Apr-17
Picked a dozen off one of the dogs over the weekend... crazy.

25-Apr-17
I also like sawyers,I pretreat all my clothes and even rubber boots with it before I start scouting. I also spray down my clothes before I go in with stuff I think is called Pony,picked it up at Tractor trailer supply. They use it on horses. It smells,so if your worried about scent,don't use it. A guide told me about it last year,and so far, so good.

26-Apr-17
I buy Sawyers buy 2 bottles at a time. I spray my clothes down the night before. No issues thus far. I also use it on my kids clothes and backpack for camp. It is expensive, but it is worth it to not get lime disease. I would kick myself forever if my kids got it because I didn't spray their clothes. It is alot of prep, but it is worth it. Best of luck guys and gals

26-Apr-17
interesting that the permetherin is made of natural chrisanthimum (mums).must be a bonding agent that prohibits directly on skin?

26-Apr-17
This works really great, send a set of turkey or deer hunting clothing to Insect shield. Once clothing is impregnated the repellent will last 70 washings, no need to spray every year. Have been using it for several years and never get a tick on me. I believe they charge 7.00 per item, and it is well worth it.

27-Apr-17
ended up at the doctors office to get out a embedded tick last night while there found another crawling around doze of pills and hope no bulls eye shows up

27-Apr-17
I think I've said on here before--I know someone who used to work in a laboratory testing actual ticks that people submitted, for the Lyme disease bacteria (or whatever it is). She said that about 50% of ticks they tested did carry the Lyme disease. I thought that was pretty scary.

29-Apr-17
Awful this morning. Had every size and specie tick on me this morning. And that was after I sprayed Sawyers on my pants. It makes it miserable for sure.

31-May-17
Sawyers for sure. Hang your clothes and gear up, spray them and let them dry, then flip them inside out and repeat. Don't go light, there's no reason to, there's a reason they sell it in a BIG yellow bottle.

31-May-17
Been amazing. I had none on me during Turkey season - sprayed down...

Mountain biking though I've been lucky, but every "group" ride this month (4, 1 every Tuesday night) guys have had ticks on them. Yesterday we had to take a dog tick out of my daughter (pay's to have an NP for a wife :)), most likely she got it the day prior at the cemetery during memorial day...

Stoopid ticks!

03-Jun-17
Devastating disease. Permethrin is the best I've found too.

03-Jun-17
Just went for a walk, had 4 on me. I check my pants periodically when I'm the woods. The thing is, when you're by yourself, you can only check the parts you can see. This is looking under the lamp post. Obviously the ones to worry about are the ones you can't see. The solution is to stay indoors and watch tv.

03-Jun-17
I've never seen it this bad. Walking the dog down a power line trail that is mostly rock and sand and had over 10 on me. Mowed the lawn today on a riding lawn mower and had 3 on me. How one got on the back of my neck I don't know! Maybe coyotes aren't to blame for declining deer. I'm thinking the ticks are sucking the life out of them like the moose.

03-Jun-17
Channel 818 folks--I hunt in Kansas, Illinois, etc at least twice a day, totally tick-free.

03-Jun-17
spike, Ive wondered the same myself. I saw what lyme disease did to my chocolate lab a few years back, he could literally hardly walk at one point before getting on antibiotics. a deer like that out in the woods would be very easy pickings...

03-Jun-17
Maybe deer aren't susceptible to Lyme?

• Sitka Gear