Drop Tine 25-Aug-17
Aluminum Rain 26-Aug-17
Drop Tine 27-Aug-17
razorhead 27-Aug-17
Drop Tine 13-Sep-17
Nocturnal 13-Sep-17
25-Apr-17
Ok, here it is.

I'm 57 and out of shape and over weight. I'm currently purging the house of junk. Anyone interested in getting fit and loose weight? I know I tend to be competitive and thought of doing this with others would help stay on task. Say a weigh in on May 1st and then weekly after that. Do anything you want to loose weight and get in shape other than pills

Any interest??

25-Apr-17
Can I send you my wife's workouts? They will get you in shape and keep you in shape. They are between 9-17 min long each. I know it seems short but trust her. You'll work yourself up to doing a couple at a time. I'm 34 180 and active. I did the 9 min one and thought I was going to die. She does five a day. She is in amazing shape. You'll not regret it.

I don't want to lose weight but if you do it, I will to. I'll just use the heavier weights so I build muscle. It will accomplish for me muscle building and for you losing weight or getting in shape.

A weigh in won't work for me though. Let me know if you want the workouts.

25-Apr-17
Instead of a weight in maybe a fat in? I did this at work with a few guys and we started by measuring our body fat percentage and would see would could trim the most by percentage.

More fair that way.

25-Apr-17
Crusader sure.

Tweed, I don't know how to do that??

25-Apr-17
Ok, I'm in if you are! My wife's been bugging me for a long time. She's pretty excited now!

Google Holly Rilinger workout videos. They will all come up. You just pick a video and follow what she tells you to do. Warning, she looks like she could kick most guys asses. (Holly, not my wife).

This workout regimen would probably do most guys on here some good. Disclaimer: you're going to feel and look dumb doing it. You're also not going to be able to keep up with this lady at first but if you stick with it you WILL see results more quickly than any other workout you will do.(my wife's words)

25-Apr-17
Ohh and she says, "the food you think is healthy is probably not." Cut out as much sugar as you possibly can. Even the sugar in fruit is not actually good for losing weight. It's better to cut out sugar than carbs. And eat healthy portions. Nothing will work like it's supposed to if you don't eat right. TRUST THIS WOMAN! (my wife). She weighed 236 lbs when my son was born. She's now a healthy 130. She went from fat to fine and you can too. No offense. And give yourself one cheat day. And make sure you get enough protein. She's talking now so sorry about the rambling post.

25-Apr-17
You guys have to post before & after pics. I'm 54 years old and still play basketball two days a week, until summer then its every Wednesday on a league made up of mostly collage players. My cardio is great but my eating habits keep me from losing the weight I would like to. You can exercise all you want to try and loose weight but 80% of losing weight is in what you eat. Crusader dad....my wife is the same, she would drive me into the ground trying to keep up with her workouts at the fitness center.

25-Apr-17
I googled her 15 minute work out. I'm going to start there if my shoulder will allow it.

25-Apr-17
You're a tougher man than me if you can last the whole fifteen. Good luck! Warn your wife now that you'll be crying the first few days.

MF, if I could turn my beer gut into muscle I'd look like a marine. I'm still skinny, imagine a pregnant pencil. That's my before pic for you. Lol

25-Apr-17
That's pretty much my look also.

I hope some more older guys jump in and join us Crusader. I would love to be in the 180's again.

25-Apr-17

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo
CD I also have a gut but its from my bad eating habit as I don't drink. Of coarse this thread is about getting in shape for the archery season. Some people might not believe me so here is a picture from last summer...we just got done winning the championship. Great kids

25-Apr-17
I am 57 also. Weighed in at 244 at my heaviest. Sounded like a bagpipe breathing when I laid down at night. My wife and I get up at 4 am every morning and walk 2 miles before work. We work together at same place so we walk 2 miles at lunch. We come home and walk 3 miles before dinner. Breakfast = 1 cup coconut milk, 1 cup alkaline water, half avocado, baby spinach, blueberries, Apple, strawberries, almond butter, Chia seed, coconut butter and Apple vinegar all blended into a shake. Lunch = lentils,brown rice, onion and kale Snacks are walnuts,cashews, almonds and carrots Dinner = green salad with chicken breast or fish Down to 214 in three months. No beer! Although I will sip a whiskey every once in awhile. Lifting light dumbbells Under 200 is my goal and haven't seen that since school days Have to really want it.

25-Apr-17
Pasquiell....I hear good things about Apple vinegar

25-Apr-17
It's pretty over powering so we limit to a tablespoon. My wife would prefer it not included but I read the same thing Mike.

25-Apr-17
Get a fitbit. Walk 45 minutes/day. My wife and i are 58. She walks 5 miles/day, does a barre and bodypump class everyday. We hike 10 miles/week and i do 4 hours of tennis/week. We will do a 100 mile bp trip @9-14,505 feet in August. Watch carbs/sugar. Anyone can do it. Goodluck.

25-Apr-17
I'm in. I am 45 and have ballooned up to 230 in the last 2 years. Most of it for me is poor eating habits and I stopped working out almost totally with my neck and back issues. The neck and back aren't better, but I have learned how to better live with them as they are.

25-Apr-17
Biking is great. I'm relatively young but when I got my office job and noticed getting soft in the middle I started biking.

In the winter I probably bike 50-70 a week and during nice weather do a metric century on Saturday's and a imperial century on Sunday's.

25-Apr-17
Get a fitbit. My wife and i are 58. She walks 5 miles/day, does a bodypump and barre class daily. We also do a 10 mile hike/week, i do 4 hours of tennis. We knock out a 100 mile bp trip every august from 9-14,505 feet every year. Watch your carbs/sugar. Its a routine. Goodluck.

26-Apr-17
Similar to hunting, if we take shortcuts or look for the easy way we will end up with marginal results. Consider a true lifestyle change, which includes more activity (think short and fast rather than long and slow) and better nutrition (think hunter gatherer rather than desk jockey/trucker). Anything short of long term behavior change will fall short. You have to want it, and enjoy it.

26-Apr-17
4:47 am. I think I just killed myself but I hung in ther for two of them workouts. Making an egg now and going to get an early start to work. I gues you gotta feel worse before you get better.

26-Apr-17
0637- Just had 2 long johns and a Coke. I'll start tomorrow...

26-Apr-17
Good Morning Guys, I just turned 55 yesterday. I need both both knees replaced. Have lived hard played hard. High stress. I am a stress eater. Decided last November had to change. Am 6' 3" was up to 342. Have lost 40 pounds short term goals are in 5-10 lb. sets. Long term is 80 lbs. Cut out sugar, sweets, bad carbs. More activity through life. Not working all day and night and stressing over it. I'll keep updates but not trying to lose it all at once. Going to Nebraska mule deer hunting next fall so I need to be down near my goal for me. With the knees I air dyne bike and work around the properties. Replacing knees December next year.

26-Apr-17
Ron you were always a "husky" lad!!

26-Apr-17
Ron you were always a "husky" lad!!

Reggie - Your killing me here!

Suppose I should get out and kill a turkey!

26-Apr-17
Yeah Ronny, I remember when you were quite the "large" dude (you were posting under Rancid Crabtree, Howatt, davebow, rickflare, et all back then). You then made all that work out equipment at home and got in shape. Of course, in typical Ronny fashion, you felt the need to post about it incessantly telling us almost daily about your new personal bests as if others actually cared. Recent pics posted by your son Bow_Tech show you’ve quit working out. I wish you well getting back into it. As we get old, working out regularly is so important. I will always love my time in the gym.

26-Apr-17
You can do all the "competitive" challenges you want, but until you find something that works for you, solo, without the drive of someone else none of it will be long term successful.

Don't over complicate this. Hunting is like dieting, everyone wants the magic pill. There is no magic pill. It takes hard work, dedication, and a willingness to give up some things to obtain certain goal's. It really isn't hard, it just takes commitment.

Start with calories in versus calories out. Cut slowly (NOT ELIMINATE) sugars, simple carbs, processed foods Drink water ~.75 ounce per pound of bodyweight If you haven't been exercising, ease into it, or you will suffer for days, impacting your gains and frustrating you.

26-Apr-17
I was going to mention you Les. Anyone interested in the "really getting in shape" Les provided a great program a few years ago. I will call it Elk country shape!

26-Apr-17
At 63, it is biking and walking for me, just hard to make the time. But at 220lb now, need to get under 200 so I better just make it a priority.

26-Apr-17
I am 62 and won't be joining CD's wife's workout, sounds like it would literally kill me. Used to weigh in the 240 ballpark, was 5-10 back then. Now I am 180 and 5-9. (charts say I should be 160, close enough) Being diagnosed with type-2 diabetes forced me to cut out sugar which accounts for a lot of my weight loss. Retirement got me out of eating potato chips for lunch and snacking from the stress of work. Keeping active is my exercise routine. I do need to do some cardio work out but not at the pace this workout seems to imply.

26-Apr-17
Screwball - I don't mean this as a dig. At your current size are you still able to climb into a tree stand or are you sticking to ground hunting? Being a big guy (and I'm sure you're not the only one here) is hunting much different from when you were leaner?

26-Apr-17
63 here and was at one time in very good shape. I am trying to get back into biking but have had some knee issues. Hopefully this summer I will be able to bike a lot more and ski more next winter. Eating proper foods is very important and working on that. BTW, sugars are carbs; look at cutting simple carbs and keep the complex carbs. I did around 300 miles a week on the bike for many years but work forced me to cut back and now retired I get nervous road biking as too many bad drivers on the road so I will be doing more mountain biking.

26-Apr-17
I will say that a lot of what I read for those over 50 was to ease into exercising. A few even recommended to only do stretches the first week to prepare the body for the increased activity. The key at our/my age is to prevent injury. I weighed myself this morning and I'm a scrappy 222.4 and 6'-1"

26-Apr-17
I'm glad I started working out at the gym when I was 30. I did more muscle workouts than cardio though. Every year I would quit during the hunting seasons, but would start up again after. At 55 now, I still am doing 3 days a week at the gym. I find that when you have muscle mass and maintain it, your metabolism is higher and you burn more of the calories that you take in. For those of you who are just going to start, it will be a tougher road, but the end results if you stick with it are very helpful in your future hunts. The best advice I can give, work through the initial pains your going to get. Believe me, you will hurt, but it goes away. At that point, you will actually miss that pain because you will feel you are not gaining anything without it. Just keep going. I do it because I want the strength needed to keep hunting in my later years, hopefully till my end.

26-Apr-17
It's not a challenge. It's guys working together to get in better shape. Leaner and meaner. There is no prize in the end other than hopefully a better quality of life.

26-Apr-17
The challenge helps keep you motivated to continue. When you have no one to answer to it becomes easier to quit. When your peers are asking you how it's going it becomes harder to give up because you have other people rooting for you and you don't want to let them down.

26-Apr-17
Ok, here's my story. I'm 52, 5' 10" and last Dec weighed in at 212. In January I started on tread mill, 2 miles a day. Slowly increasing to a 10% incline and speed but not really running much.

In March I started eating better and more reasonable portions, not a problem because I love salads and fruit anyway. Still eat a lot of venison and eggs.

Have done this every day since Jan 16, today my workout was 2 miles at 10% incline at a speed of 4.0 for 30 minutes and weighed in at 185. I'm ready for elk now but shooting for 175-180 and wont slack on workouts.

Planning on taking the walks outside more soon but really like the incline workout. I actually like running but I have good knees now and am concerned about the pounding.

26-Apr-17
Tweed, I have had to learn to manage my stress and habits with it. That is on me and I own it, no insult from you taken by me. I hunt with Summit Goliath climbers and Ladder stands, work good for me especially with bad knees.

27-Apr-17
I'm in. 45 yrs old 245. Major back problems. Going next week for shots in my back. So hopefully after that I can get this fat guy in shape again. I need it, I have hunting land in Vernon county very hilly terrain.

27-Apr-17
Well I am RC but not that one. I am almost 76 and still go chasing Elk every year. 5ft 10 and 207#. I put on a few ponds with knee surgery which is fine. I do stretching exercises every morning bunch of push-ups (50 or more) Ab lounger and lift 8# weights since rotator cuff surgery. Starting doing my Biking (2 hours a day on the road). I need to be down to 190 come Sep. Count me in

27-Apr-17
I should have mentioned, back in around '74 I injured my lower back. Near constant pain and I did not go to a doctor because I figured it would work itslef out. I had done lots of power lifting up until '72 so no big deal for me to have some sort of pain. In early '77 I got a full physical done as part of getting my first real job. The Mayo Clinic was close by so I went there, they said I had a ruptured disc in my lower back and they recommended holding off on any surgery because the technology for that was getting much better every year. Well, I lived with the pain that would come and go ever since. About two years ago my weight got to where I am at now and a year ago the back pain went away. I still get a little twinge now at then when I overdo it but it goes away fast. So much better now.

27-Apr-17
Pretty awesome Redclub, that is what I hope to be at that age.

27-Apr-17
Lost thirty pound's in six month's . Went from 200 to 170 . All I did is cut out 95% of my sugar intake . Before I was getting close to having the big D . Now my sugar count is under 100 . Love this time of year . Gets me outside instead of sitting on my ass all winter .

27-Apr-17
Without writing a novel, I suggest going paleo. Worked amazing for me. Was always the fat kid. Was 308 at 31 years old. 2 herniated discs, went paleo and hit gym every day before work. Also work construction so I'm pretty active. In 6 months I was 185lbs. Very little muscle loss if any. Been staying around 195 for 2 years since. Many animals must die for my current diet, that's actually what got me hooked on bow hunting. It's fun running into people I haven't seen since before I lost the weight. They have zero idea who I am usually. Tip to go to gym every day, cap off the water lines to the shower, if you don't wanna stink you must go to gym! I don't do the gym much after losing the weight, was mostly to ensure I wouldn't loose to much muscle while losing the weight fast

27-Apr-17
Nice job northbound. Paleo flat out works. I urge anyone to give it a shot.

27-Apr-17
A paleo lifestyle is really complimentary to a hunters lifestyle.

27-Apr-17
Reclub you go man! I don't think I could do 50 pushups in the girl way with knees on the ground!!! I hit 215 this morning and seem to have stagnated in that range. Must change it up a bit so the wife and I put air in the bike tires. Biking here we come. Gonna get down to 200 and maintain.

27-Apr-17

albino's embedded Photo
albino's embedded Photo
Good luck to all. Sounds like it can't hurt & could possibly help some of us pussguts. I'm about mid way through 14 sessions of PT at $100.00 a session out of pocket. Trying to figure out a way to get by without pain but at 63 my body is failing. I have been as high as 220 and back down to 180 but just gained 7 pounds in the last month and went from 5'10" to 5' 9" in the last year. Have one new knee & back surgery from 3 years ago. Going downhill faster than I would like mostly from roto scoliosis. That would be a twist and a curve in my spine that is now 30 degrees. Looking at the x ray I am amazed that I can walk. Should have taken it easier in my younger days & maybe fell out of a few less trees lol. Pain gets to about a 10 but you get used to it & push through it. Whine a lot and get ornery. I will check in on you guys and you can check to make sure I am doing my PT exercises trying to strengthen areas around the problem. Seems the older I get the harder it is to keep muscle but I am going to give it a shot. I'll send a pic of the x ray. Keeps twisting and I'll screw myself into the ground.

27-Apr-17

Baby Huey's embedded Photo
Baby Huey's embedded Photo

Baby Huey's Link
Think I might join you guys. Over the years I have built a shelf to set my soda on. Friends started calling me baby Huey. Last year I turned a deluxe 18 foot ladder stand into a 3 foot ground blind.

Baby Huey

27-Apr-17
ROFLMAO............Ok, that is down right funny but some of you guys have to get over RC. He is just another guy. You are making him into a Legend.

27-Apr-17
OMG that was funny!!!! I remember that cartoon its a perfect caricature of RC. "Baby Huey is a gigantic and naïve duckling cartoon character." Truer words were never spoken! Great post Baby Huey. Hahaha

28-Apr-17
I recently started a low calorie diet called Omni Drops. I am currently on day 20 and I have lost 28.5 lbs and over 4 inches on my waistline. Its a huge stomach/gut cutter. PM me if your interested and I will give you the details. Its tough at first however if you are strong willed and want the bad fat off of your body then you will see results. If you dont want to go that route, then I would suggest clean eating for a couple months...no sugar,corn syrup..basically anything ending in "tose" and up your greens intake and stick to lean meats (chicken,white meat fish, buffalo, deer etc) Going the clean route will take off pounds, just not as quickly as what Im doing

28-Apr-17
Crusader: thanks for the tip on Holly. I like her style of workouts and am giving the 6 in 6 ab routine a go. After we got back from vacation in mid March I got serious about getting in shape for moose hunting this Sept. So far I am down 8lbs and 3 more to goal. For the first time in our lives my wife and I are working with a trainer and gaining knowledge for staying fit for the rest of our lives. When you are younger you can carry those extra lbs but as I get older those lbs are way more significant.

Keep up the good work guys.

28-Apr-17

Tweed's Link
Pasquinell says "I hit 215 this morning and seem to have stagnated in that range. "

That's typical. Many times when someone starts a diet the initial weight loss is from water loss. Once you power through that plateau you'll really start to shed and get shredded.

Air up those bike tires and look for some rides at bfw.org

28-Apr-17

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
What normally would have been chips or something else unhealthy. Down a pound and have not officially started yet.

28-Apr-17
I have been 212 lbs and 6'1" for 30 years. One thing you guys got to remember is there is loosing weight (fat) and gaining weight (Muscle). You still want muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. So if you loose fat and start gaining muscle to replace it, you are going to gain weight again, but it's good weight.

28-Apr-17
Due to bad med combinations I gained 35lbs since last fall. Started while I was cutting bough in Nov even. That should have been a huge red flag something was not right. Dr just blew it off though. When I about lost my marbles it finally dawned of them! Which then also created another bad interaction where weight gain was an issue, but worse could have caused sudden heart stoppage! The next change brought back my major acid reflux! Just got that changed today!! Hopefully all will be good on the med side now.

So DT, I will be getting back in fighting shape. First major step for anyone is pushing the dam plate away!! When I first switched my breakfast to 1 serving of oatmeal with 2tbsp of coconut oil, and 1 tsp of brown sugar. About 300 calories. I dropped 20lbs real fast. Never been a big lunch eater. Just something to keep the hunger off. Protein of some sort does wonders. Always try to keep that under 200 calories. Then with dinner try to stay between 1000-1200 calories. At most 1700 calories a day! That alone is huge!

Next week I will start biking the hounds 2 at a time to get them in shape for training season. 1-2 miles per pair to start. Getting back on the bike is rough at first. So maybe 4-5 pair per day. By the 3rd week of June I will be up to 50-60 miles a day myself.

My goal by July 1st is to drop at least 40lbs. Done it before, and will do it again. Would like to hit the 50lb mark, but that last 10-15 is hard. With the build up of muscle in the mix. It's not the easiest thing to start. Once the ball gets going it's all down hill!

28-Apr-17
My workouts this week have consisted of tearing off a rooftop deck and replacing it. 160 12ft 2x6's up three flights of stairs. My legs are dead. Plus the one crazy lady workout with my wife in the morning at 4 am. I also switched to bringing a turkey sandwich for lunch. That's my worst meal of the day. Usually mcd's or bk. Or some other fast food. Again, I'm not looking to lose weight. Just get healthy with you guys. I'll put in the same suffering but I expect you to as well!!

28-Apr-17
Oh I'm suffering we still have hostess crap in the house and I grabbed a bag of carrots and it ain't even May 1st.

28-Apr-17
Stay away from the Bear bait. That fattens me up every time.

29-Apr-17
I'm in. 58 yrs old, 6ft 222 lbs. I'll be getting off to a slow start though. Just had umbilical hernia surgery Tuesday (4-25-17) so beneficial exercise is a couple weeks away. Today's goal is to walk Sam's Club without too many rest stops. Poor diet, 1 terminal knee, and a comfy chair in front of the 50" 4K TV are a bad combination that I love. :)

29-Apr-17
Its a constant struggle to lose weight. BUT Somebody said Go on living or go on Dying. I still want to chase stuff in the mountains. All my friends, brothers all stopped. I am fortunate to have a son-in law that goes Elk hunting and He has only 1 arm. So if you ever see a Old guy and 1 arm guy in a Large wall tent in CO. Stop in and say Hi.

30-Apr-17
Conceptually, it is pretty easy. Move more and eat less. Works every time. All it takes is discipline.

I'm 55. I try to get the gym 3-4 times per week focusing mainly on strength training. Strength training ultimately burns more calories than cardio because you continue to burn calories up to 24hrs after the workout. A # of muscle utilizes approx. 50 calories per day - at rest. Strength training also leads to a better quality of life because you can do things you did when you were younger without pain.

I do my share of cardio, but after strength training. One does need to get their ticker going to keep it strong. I do hate cardio though. It is boring to me.

I work from home and simply block out my calendar so I can get to the gym during the day. I make "me time" because it is important for being on the right side of the grass.

30-Apr-17
I pumped up the air in my bike tires and was going to start cycling 5 times a week. Glad the weather is cooperating. There is always SOMETHING holding me back.

30-Apr-17
Yea Noah just pulled up in my yard and asked If I wanted in. Rain rain go away. 41 degrees and raining again.

01-May-17
I have found the fountain of youth but it is killing me.

01-May-17
Reggiezpop- I used to run the buckle of my messenger bag through the handle of my bow case and ride to the range. Get the best of both worlds!

01-May-17
I am a swimmer,,,,, both laps, tai chi and yoga in the water, and a simple free weight program for me, works well....... I belong to the Y

01-May-17
I'm Heading to Mexico for a couple weeks! I'll be doing a whole lot of those 12oz curls and a bunch of mojitos and food mixed in. I do have some adventures planned but I'm sure my winter beer gut that I've been working to eliminate will be back in full force by the time I return home!

02-May-17
Have a great trip.

02-May-17
Hey Crusader Dad - Have fun in MX. My wife are heading back there this Sat, but only for a week. First kids-less trip there in 20 years. The whole family went over New Years for 10 days and then my daughter went with 4 friends in March for a week without us and now my wife and I get to go with another couple. Looking forward to lots of beer and tequila and R&R. Enjoy your trip!

02-May-17
Hit the pavement on the bike last night. Thought the rain had stopped and it came at me sideways 20 minutes in. Plus, I was biking into a headwind no matter which direction I was going! Great idea boys, great idea...

03-May-17
When I get home this afternoon I think I'm going to give this a try

03-May-17
Tweed, you mean you don't do that now? She's actually got really good shooting form. Straight back draw, full anchor, and her hand is coming straight back after the release showing good follow through.

03-May-17
221.2 lbs. down 3 pounds.

03-May-17
Live2Hunt - I know! This young lady is great. Her name is Linlee Chan. She shoots with or has some sort of association with Jeff Kavanaugh.

Not only has good form while on the balance ball but doesn't have a half bad group.

03-May-17
"Not only has good form while on the balance ball but doesn't have a half bad group." Not a bad group with her arrows also.

04-May-17
219.4 down 5lbs since I started. All diet and exercise. No cheat pills being taken.

04-May-17
Hit 183 today, about to transition to maintaining and not weight loss. Going to hit weights more now and just settle into better eating habits.

Keep up the good work guys!!!

04-May-17
Good to hear Elks!

04-May-17
Went on my 3rd 10 mile bike ride of the week. Nothing crazy, but enjoying being outside again. Burning the $hit out of my legs though!

05-May-17
Drop Tine, just curious - what are cheat pills?

05-May-17
Those weight loss pills. Yes they work some times amazingly. But if you don't alter your eating habits you gain the weight right back after stopping the pills.

06-May-17
I was happy this morning, Dropped under 300 lbs. for first time in about 4 or more years. I Have lost 43 lbs. as of this morning since November. Very busy physical day today will help. Have new granddaughter being delivered tomorrow morning. It's a good weekend.

06-May-17
Good news all around Screwball! Plenty to be thankful for! Keep inspiring, buddy!

06-May-17
That's awesome Brian. Keep it going.

09-May-17
217.0 down 7.4 lbs so far and starting to notice it on the belt.

09-May-17

Duke's embedded Photo
Duke's embedded Photo
Good work, gents! A great time of the year to get after it with long days as no headlamps are needed any longer for most runs. Paced one of my boys on his 2nd 5k race along with a brother of mine and his fiancé. He posted a new PR, which made for a proud dad. :)

10-May-17
Well, just came back from vacation with family and friends on the east coast. Put 5 lbs back on... here is where I went wrong - beer, pizza, pasta, potatoes, bread etc etc. Oh well back to it again.

10-May-17
Down 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks. Not much but it's a start. Mainly been focusing on eating better as my nutritionist outlined. It's not real bead as my wife is doing it also. It makes meals a lot easier although my 17 year old son gripes a bit;)

12-May-17
It's good to see you guys are still at it!

We got home last night and I am essentially one giant blister of sunburn. My wife and youngest went dolphin swimming on wed so my oldest and I hung out on the beach. We both fell asleep. Now, I can hardly move and can't even stand for my wife to touch me to put lotion on. I'm glad it happened toward the end of our vacay but I definitely won't be back to working out for a few more days.

12-May-17
20 mile bike ride on "Old Abe Trail" today. Good starter trail, pretty flat. Should have turned around a couple miles sooner. I will pay tomorrow.

12-May-17
RutnStrut Congrats great start keep it up.

16-May-17
Great thread! Congrats to a lot of you! Keep it up! I weighed myself on the morning of Jan. 1st, 222 lbs. I almost had an instant heart attack! For the past 2 months or so I was blaming my wife for shrinking my pants. My church pants were especially tight over Christmas and New Years. That morning I instantly went on a fitness program.

I'm 5'11" and yesterday I weighed in at 199 lbs. My goal is 195, then I will see where I'm at. For years I have run, up to 2 miles, and walked to keep in some sort of shape. My problem: chips, crackers, cheese, breads, brats, chips, crackers, more chips and another helping of cheese, eating seconds and sometime thirds. At a buffet I always get my moneys worth!

I started out running 2 miles a day, no matter the temperatures, 4 or more days a week. If there was ice, rain or snow, I walked in place in the house for an hour and even longer. In March my wife talked me into joining the fitness club. I started riding a stationary bike while watching TV. (that is the way to go). Three weeks ago I started lifting weights and riding the bike or running. I can run 4 miles at a time and I'm getting stronger.

The hard part now is still eating right, that will be my down fall if I have one.

Keep doing what your doing!!! BC

17-May-17
Good to see the family out Luke, nice job!

Jim, what section of the Old Abe trail? I routinely ride that area from South Chipppewa to the trail end in Cornell.

Rut, slow and steady wins this game brother, keep it up.

17-May-17
Well boys I fell off the diet wagon last week. Beer and good food on the grill are my weaknesses. I got right back after it Monday.

17-May-17
To all of you putting in the effort and working keep it up. Thanks to all for supporting one another.

18-May-17
I hit a speed bump over the weekend but happy to say I knocked that back and down to 214. Making that 10 lbs. lost.

18-May-17

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo
Talk about exercise... Ran into this guy today and played 4 games with him. Glad he was on my team. This years University of Minnesota Golden Gophers basketball great "Joey King".

25-May-17
I just figured I'd bring this one back up to make sure you haven't quit already. I've been up @ 4 am doing my part. I haven't lost or gained but I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. Not to brag but my wife has noticed it too!!! #beensomefunnights

25-May-17

Nocturnal's embedded Photo
This is a good thread guys. For those of you that don't know much about me. I broke my wrist in October. Which slowed my activities down. I could no longer lift weights and barely made it through my hunting season. I lost a lot of muscle mass and switched that up into quite a bit of fat. The end of march I was up to 210 pounds. Still with a bit of a limp wrist, I couldn't take it anymore and fought through the aggravation and stretched my wrist after every set to ease the tension. Life has been crazy busy. The busiest I've ever been. With a newborn now, 2 older kids, a wife, house work, work itself and everything else. I'm still pushing myself to find some time. Averaging about 4 hours of sleep and possibly a cat nap here and there. I'm down to 198. I still have some catching up to do. To what I once was before my accident. I'm not about posting personal pictures but I figure maybe I can motivate some of you older guys into pushing yourselves into a healthier life. If I can still manage, you bet you can too. Plus, you gotta be the best you can be when your dragging out those big 'ol swamp bucks.

Good luck to you all. Lift to hunt! Hunt Longer! Hunt Harder!! ;)

25-May-17
Damn bro, I WAS feeling strong. Lol. Btw, I have the same shirt, it just doesn't fit me the same way. I'd need steroids to get that big. The biggest trouble with getting buff like that is like you said, if you can't lift it seems to turn to fat. I've seen a few of my buddies go from scary to chubby.

25-May-17
OMG - Seeing all you guys working out and getting in shape - I told the wife tonight that's it!!! I'm going to get down to my original weight!!!

7 pounds 6 ounces...

I think she laughed - or perhaps a little whimper - a tear maybe?

25-May-17
Still at it, down to 213 from 224.

25-May-17
Double post.

25-May-17
nb, i get it now. Massive roids over decades. U must have an inne by now.

26-May-17
Hit 50 down on Tuesday!

26-May-17
No roids crusader. You could easily put on a lot of muscle. My problem was, stopping everything at once. I ate like shit and ate a lot. The hardest part is prepping meals for the week. As everything goes, build a routine and it gets easier. My motivation is deer season. I enjoy all the hard work put into it. Those long and brutal walks, 99% of guys will only see online.

26-May-17
Looking good Noc. But I'd say you would gain at least 5% muscle mass if you got rid of the ugly flat brim hat;)

26-May-17
lol I go through a lot of hats. I'm not a sweat band kinda guy!

03-Jun-17
Well, I guess it is not working out for me. After gimping around for quite a while & back surgery 3 years ago my back finally gave out. I haven't been able to walk for 5 days now or stand for more than 15 seconds without extreme pain. Even hurts to sit. I will find out with in a week what my options are from the Surgeon. Could be worse maybe.

04-Jun-17
best of luck albino,hope things get better for you. Im going to join this bandwagon of getting fit too. I had hernia surgery last week and lost 7 lbs so I guess this is a good time to start. My goal is 20 more lbs that will put me at the weight I should be.

04-Jun-17
Hit a Plato and stuck at 212 - 213. Time to change it up and fight through it. When the weight is coming off that's easy motivation.

04-Jun-17
Thanks X. DT I was stuck there for a while. I just had to give up my Klondike bar before bed. Why does every think that tastes good have to be bad for you. I'm guessing that is something you gave up long ago. I am back down to 194 but no exercise now. Every pound makes a difference on my legs and back. You are getting quite a few guys in better shape. Great job!

04-Jun-17
Hope your back on your feet soon. I have one "cheat" day where I eat what I want. But still watch how much I eat.

04-Jun-17
Albino, wishing you the best. Getting stuck happens in weight loss. Don't give up. Push through. Crazy two weeks for me and I've been steady. Should get back it now. At least not gaining.

05-Jun-17
Albino, hope the best for you. My friend has extreme back issues and surgery etc, long recovery, BUT, he stayed with work outs. Maybe not glamorous, but he does Sit and Fit, and uses stretch bands and Flex tubing etc, and keeps muscles moving.....

Lots of emphasis on weight loss here, but I know guys who lost a ton of weight, but still have poor stamina. I would care less on the weight loss, and believe more in building muscle mass.......

If you had access to a pool, that could really help you out. I belong to the Y, good swim fit work outs in the deep water, can really help, water work outs are way under utilized, and really increase muscle, without tearing up your body....

wish you all the best, I know that is not fun

05-Jun-17
Thanks, I was going to PT twice a week but I think I may be bone on bone now & can't walk more than 15 feet without bad pain. I will see if I can find a pool. I think that might work well. May have to look in Fort Atkinson as we are doing a slow move into the new house. My Surgeon can't even do a consult till July 19th. I do see a different low back specialist in 3 days for another opinion & should get my options from the Surgeon on line in a day or 2. I can drive if I sit on my right cheek. Thanks for the idea.

05-Jun-17
If you ever need help, reach out, I would make the drive to help you out,,,,, we are all brothers of the bow

07-Jun-17
6 weeks & 1 day after hernia surgery & I'm up to 222 lbs. Started back at the gym this morning, muskie fishing this evening. Got the Bear out & headed to the range last Friday, wasn't impressive but acceptable. Might shoot a 3D near Ladysmith the 24th or 25th.

09-Jun-17
You guys are great. Down to 191 I think from not eating lunch. After 8 days of not walking I was able to walk yesterday. Maybe the massive dose of Gabapentin is working. First thing I did was shoot my bow. I may get to Canada yet in August. Still painful but not as. The low back Doc said the MRI shows the L4 & L5 are pinching off nerves. They cut some of the L5 out 3 years ago. He is sending me for the steroid shots where they put you in a scanner so they can see where the needle is going. Have to do them 2 weeks apart to see if it helps either. Last time it did nothing. Now there is hope.

09-Jun-17
Good luck with the shots albino. I've had those many times in my neck. They worked for a while, but do nothing anymore.

09-Jun-17
One day at a time albino. Have you ever tried a bone cracker? The two times I've had issues they helped me greatly. Walked just under 4 miles today trout fishing the Prairie River. A couple small Brookies and a chub to show for it. Beats a treadmill though.

09-Jun-17
Down 11 pounds since I started. The eating healthier is getting to be second nature.

10-Jun-17
This is Cindy, keep at it boys!! I'm proud of you! I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I weighed 265 pounds in 6th grade. My nickname was porkchop. It is an ongoing process but if you stay active and watch what you eat you will feel so much better about yourself and be much healthier. Your wives will also appreciate it;-)

10-Jun-17
Cindy-what has worked for you and what hasn't?

10-Jun-17
OMG Cindy. If I ever called my Wife that I wouldn't have to move to the new house. I wouldn't even call RC that in the old days. I hope all is ok with you & the family & thanks for staying on here. DT, I have tried a couple Chiropractors with great results in the past but they are no longer able to help the mess in my back. The shot in the spine 3 years ago did nothing either but sometimes they do work & sometimes you have to jump through hoops for the insurance co. This was the third day in a row that I could walk but my exercise was sitting in an all day BOD WBH meeting in Stevens Point. Something I am passionate about. Tomorrow my exercise is the final walk through of the new house. My truck is getting more exercise than me & it eats pretty good too.

11-Jun-17
2 more lbs last week 18 more to go. It is very hard just coming off surgery and not being able to be active. Hard not to eat much being bored all the time. Wish I was able to be out scouting.

11-Jun-17
It wasn't Shane that called me porkchop. It was the bullies at my school. Between the end of 6th grade and the start of ninth I lost 105 pounds using slim fast. I met Shane my freshman year and he got me pregnant that next spring. His fault not mine:-) I gained most of my weight back and when Collin was born I weighed 239 pounds. I went to a program called anchor fitness. It followed the biggest loser type show. They taught me how to eat properly. By the time I quit that I was down to 125 pounds. Now, I just eat right and work out every day. During the week. I fluctuate between 135-140. I follow holly rilinger and do her workouts. Shane was doing them to since you guys started this and he lost his beer gut and had good muscles starting.if you want to get in good shape I highly recommend hollys workouts. I know it might be awkward for boys to do a girls workout but if you google her there are boys doing it at the same time as her.

14-Jun-17

Duke's embedded Photo
Duke's embedded Photo
My son getting after a 5k last weekend at 81 degrees with myself working hydration/motivation... Running along side JD puts an endless smile on my face! Keep after it, young or old!

14-Jun-17
I started Jan. 1st for health reason - update I'm down 22 lbs, working out and running up to 4 miles a day. I had my yearly checkup yesterday - all my cholesterol levels at where they need to be for the first time in 15 or so years. I'm on cholesterol medication and will be for the rest of my life. We maybe able to lower my does though if I keep it up. My blood pressure is up, what the heck? The Dr. said it maybe a fact I'm getting older, I really don't have a family history of high blood pressure. He gave me some diet suggestions, lower my stress level, etc. Somethings more for me to work on. BC

14-Jun-17
Bow Crazy, don't you love it when doc says lower your stress level. Well no crap doc that would be nice, but it doesn't always work like that. Good job on the weight loss and healthy lifestyle.

15-Jun-17
Rut, I know I got a kick out of that too. Everyone has stress in their lives. No matter what we do, it will always be there I think. I'm enjoying life, maybe I need to enjoy it more? BC

15-Jun-17
Congrats fellas. Keep it up. I'm down 2 pounds since my last post and more definition. I'll drop about 300 calories in a few days and maintain for a bit. Probably up my intake once July hits and go hard until the archery season opens. Hard to believe it's right around the corner

15-Jun-17
Down to 207 and feeling good.

15-Jun-17
Good thread. Just remember you don't have to kill your self just do something each day. Fitness has always been part of my job and life as an Army Officer and It is part of my evaluation so I take it very seriously. Just remember three sets of not eating crap each day will get you some phenomenal gains and best work out is the one you do. Keep hammering. Tom

28-Jun-17
Bump: how's everyone doing?

28-Jun-17
I'm stuck at 207 give or take right now. These rainy days stuck in the house don't help at all.

29-Jun-17
That's not a bad weight at all. keep on grinding DT

29-Jun-17
I was down 16lbs but beer has been getting in the way lately. Someone needs to make a low calorie beer that tastes good. I only gained back 4 of the 16. But it sure didn't take much to do it. Well back at it.

29-Jun-17
was at my PT check up today at the Y....... again, I think many of you miss the point, I know I did, since I then joined a trainer....... do not worry about your weight on the scale, be more concerned on the muscle you put on....... Case in point, I have a friend that lost over 30 lbs in the last year,,,, so what, he has no muscle mass, believe me he will fizzle on a hunt

30-Jun-17
Razorhead, as someone who's been in fitness for years. Its more important to have low BF than be overweight. Being overweight can bring an enormous amount of unhealthy issues. Guys here that are focusing on losing weight is great enough. They are running, biking, eating healthier. What ever it is. A healthy lifestyle alone brings strength without a need to lift weights. Not that lifting weights and gaining some muscle mass is not as important, it is. I'm just stating the obvious. I have a passion for lifting for one reason alone. That's deer hunting. Being strong has its quirks forsure. Dragging or throwing a 200 pound animal over the back and getting him out 2 miles from the nearest road threw the nastiest stuff is what I think about every time I hit the weights. That's my motivation every single day. Living life on 3-4 hours of sleep has tested me mentally like never before. I'm exhausted every time I get in and I walk out with a smile knowing I crushed it.

My point to this whole madness is hunting is a mental game. Fitness is a mental game. It doesn't matter how strong you are. The first thing to give up are not your muscles. It's your mind. Giving up is not an option. Set a goal and crush it. Never settle for less than what you intended.

Keep it up guys. 78 days until the opener. Yes I am counting down!

30-Jun-17

My upper chest game is getting strong. Crushed a 1am workout with a friend. Hitting 100 lb DB press on a slight incline for 12 reps at 4 sets.

30-Jun-17
Ok! Noc.....we're going to need your number for the next time we need help dragging that deer out.

30-Jun-17
Noc I agree, I think, and from experience, that if you look at the scale all the time, you might get discouraged, because it is hard to loose weight as you get older, but otherwise, I know, you know what you are talking about, you always have a good post..........

I also keep in my head, what I plan on doing for the hunt, and that is what drives my workouts,,,,,,, I do not lift heavy weights, do not want to get injured, just stay toned, and at my age, it is what I need,,,,,,,,

Tweed why would any sensible person, drag a whole deer out of the woods? Never understood that, good way of having a heart attack................

30-Jun-17
Razor I agree, with your whole post.

Except dragging a full deer out. I understand what you mean razor. That's what the young guys are for. If your alone, your a smart man to pack him out. Especially at an older age. Some people say that the hard work begins once you get your deer. I think that's the easiest part. The hardest part for me is getting a deer. Remember my never ending hunt thread. ;)

Tweed: I'm not far from you. If you have a nasty drag that could take hours. I'd give you a helping hand forsure.

30-Jun-17
A bad set of tests on 2/1 got me inspired to get back in shape. Repeat visit last week and numbers are better (lucky that I can control things without drugs - so far).

Height is 6' 4". Weight was 247, now 205. Cholesterol was 262, now 195. Goal before hunting is near to 180 and the cholesterol will follow downward.

Much better diet but it hasn't been that hard (following the Mayo diet book). Exercise more with swimming and running. Have done 3 open water races of 1, 2 and 2.4 miles. 5k and 5 mile swims to follow. Good to have a goal.

Keep up the great work folks. It is much easier to stay in shape instead of having to get back in shape. Best of luck to you, Crusader and family.

30-Jun-17
Good for you amoebus! 5 mile swim! I could NEVER!! Lol... good luck on your future events.

01-Jul-17
I know this is not for everyone, and I do have time, but I parked the John Deere tractor and am cutting 2 acres of lawn (which has a lot of trees), with a walk behind push mower...... get a work out and the grass cut, a win win

01-Jul-17
Exhausted today after a few 14 hour work days, but going to the gym to force a little biking and then a 4 mile walk later. Need to shape up best I can in next 8 weeks. I have llamas rented for Montana elk hunt 1st 2 weeks Sep. Just put this in motion as job is ending and will be retired by Aug 5th. Will look for part-time work after severance ends in Jan. Should be a nice long, stress-free fall!

03-Jul-17
Good for you guys! Now with a broke thumb I've just been working on getting my beer gut back to where it's supposed to be:( I have been going to the job sites and yelling at the guys a little bit if that counts for anything.

03-Jul-17
How the heck did you break your thumb? You ever gonna catch a break?

Edit: I just read the other thread. That's too bad Shane!

17-Jul-17
How's everyone doing. I'm down from 228 to 203. It's been slow process. But weight loss for me is more of a mind game for me than anything. Walking past those vending machines full of goodies at work to get a apple or orange from my lunch. Watching labels on foods and so on. But it's working.

17-Jul-17
Awesome DT!!! I'm clapping for you over here. That's an accomplishment to say the least..

I'm going the other way now. I'm up to 206 at 10% bf. Im almost where I use to be when I comes to strength. But I'm not there yet. Eating 4000 clean calories a day. Sprinting every other day after my workouts. My wife and I spend every Sunday prepping food to last us through the week. I'll be around 215 by mid August. And hope to get back down to 210 or 208 by the time archery season hits. I'll be lean and strong and ready for some brutal walks and hopeful for some brutal drags. :) 61 days until WI opener!!

17-Jul-17
Great job drop tine!

I'm back to exercising with my wife in the mornings again. Nothing crazy but I'm working on getting my strength back.

18-Jul-17
"My wife and I spend every Sunday prepping food to last us through the week."

Worth repeating...

Prevents some of the impulse eating and probably saves money too.

18-Jul-17
Good deal Shane. So glad your making a good comeback and enjoying family time.

18-Jul-17
I'm so glad my wife has the meal prep job... I look at the menu for the week and want to go to Culver's right away. I've been cooking it but I'm NOT happy about eating that healthy crap.

18-Jul-17
Glad to hear it Shane. Your one tough dude.

Amoebus, yes it does. Eating healthy comes with more cost though.

Shane, I don't know what she has you eating but I eat like a king!

19-Jul-17
Well I was bench pressing last night and I felt a pop but had to push through to rack the bar. It just didn't feel right. After about 5 mins The pain in my chest became pretty severe and ran into my front shoulder. I went home immediately. My wife insisted I go to the emergency room to get checked. Having a baby and tons of hospital bills already. I decided to wait it out. Luckily I didn't tear my pec muscle. MRI showed a stage 2. I guess I tore some fibers in my chest. So I will have a set back. The doc said I might be able to get back in the gym after 2 weeks. But most likely I won't be in for 4-6 weeks because I am experiencing a lot of shoulder pain. Time will tell though. I am not the kind that bruises easy. But color is starting to set in. I'm not happy but it could have been worse. Keep grindin boys. Noc...

03-Aug-17
Just checking up on you guys. How's the progress?

03-Aug-17
Noc, Hope you are doing better.

03-Aug-17
I was on Vacation last week in Canada and only gained 2 pounds. Pretty happy about that considering I had to eat what the group ate.

03-Aug-17
Not the typical getting fit for most, but I'm on day 14 of no chew. Took a solid week to get the gunk out of my system, but feeling better every day.

03-Aug-17
Noc I hope you are recovering well. I used to powerlift and do bench competitions. I had a complete tear of my left pec muscle when I was 22. That recovery sucked, being young, motivated and in pretty good shape really helped me through it. You have those things going for you and it sounds like you didn't have a complete tear. So hopefully you will be back to 100% soon.

03-Aug-17
Reggie- I've heard quitting chew is harder than smoking.

Congrats man!

04-Aug-17
For me getting fit, I quit smoking eight months ago after smoking for 40+ years. Best thing I have done for myself. Not only getting my wind back, saving lots of money not only from the cigs but not getting a donut and coffee when I stopped for smokes.

04-Aug-17
Reggiezpop and wishunter - wonderful for both of you. Make it lifelong.

It was harder than what most of us went through, and the benefits far outweigh what we did. Congrats again.

09-Aug-17
Down to 202. Wife told me to get some new pants. Old ones are baggy. :)

13-Aug-17
How goes the addiction reduction fellas? Still on course?

I finished my 5 mile lake swim yesterday and have found an event that delivers NO direct hunting skills. But, it is still losing me some weight so that is always good. It is truly impressive how fast some people (women and men) can swim.

This lake (Minnetonka) also had all kinds of large boats going fast near us. Got bounced around like a bobber and spent most of my time worrying about my wife and 81 year old father in the support canoe.

All good in the end. Enjoy your upcoming hunting endeavors.

13-Aug-17
Great news DT, except for the impending shoping trip for pants! I'm still not chewing, and I hate every second of every day!!!

13-Aug-17
I pulled MY BOW back today. 70lbs! Shot three arrows. I've been getting up at four with my wife and trying but mostly just watching her ass.

I'm really glad to hear you guys are doing well and sticking with it! Cindy is very proud of you as well.

13-Aug-17

Glad to hear everyone's progress!

Glad to see you kick that bad habit Reggie. You won't be knocking over anymore spit cans in living room! LOL

LoL Crusader!

Me: my chest has healed up now. Haven't lifted heavy cause I'm a little nervous. Bright side to this my legs are stronger than they've ever been.

I was doing big hill sprints yesterday by the lake. I had this fox cross the field. So I squeaked at it with my lips and he came running all the way to me. I couldn't believe it. I didn't have my phone and only an ipod. I almost pet it but it just sniffed my hand, enough to feel its front teeth. It followed me all the way to the truck and I was able to snap an official picture of it. Pretty cool experience

Edit: can't rotate the picture. Sorry fellas..

14-Aug-17
I love foxes. They are so fun to watch and interact with.

24-Aug-17

Officially dropped 30 lbs. from 228 to 198. I want to get down to around 190 then maintain.

24-Aug-17
Super job DT.

25-Aug-17
You put the "drop" in Drop Tine my friend - Good for you - stick with it!

25-Aug-17

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link

25-Aug-17
Great job man! Keep it up.

25-Aug-17
Great job DT!!

25-Aug-17
Thanks guys. I can't remember the last time I was under 200lbs. I know I was in the 180's at graduation of high school.

I do miss my Hostess Cupcakes though. LOL

26-Aug-17
What was your diwt and excercise of choice?

27-Aug-17
My diet consisted of cutting out sugars and smaller portions than what I normally ate.

For fitness Google Holly Rilinger workout videos.

27-Aug-17
DT I agree, and I have been guilty of it this year, but for the last month I have really cut out all sugar that I know of, and it helps,,,,,,, for me its simply weight and the pool, and I enjoy better,,,,,, I also like Tai chi in the water to stretch myself out and center me....

Weight goes up and down, but now you have inspired me more,,,,, nice job on the weight loss

13-Sep-17
Down to 192 and energy levels are up.

13-Sep-17
Congrats DT! You won this thread!

• Sitka Gear