samman 26-Apr-17
8pointer 26-Apr-17
OldFart 26-Apr-17
samman 27-Apr-17
OldFart 28-Apr-17
Quinn @work 28-Apr-17
jims 30-Apr-17
25-Apr-17
I was wondering how the turkeys are doing out in this area? Any experience this year or last year? Are they still gobbling? I have hunted this area 3 times(harvested 2 but had to leave early to attend a Memorial Service the last time) but I'm sure things have changed since the draining. I hold a license for the second season. I had plans to go to W TN turkey hunting during the time of the first season but that fell through. Thanks for any and all help. BTW, I'm 75 yrs old but haven't given up yet! THANKS Ray

26-Apr-17
I took my son a week and a 1/2 ago and we saw a bunch, but they weren't to receptive to calls. I'm sure they're coming in now. I was going to try our luck this weekend but life got in the way......

26-Apr-17
A couple buddy's killed 2 out there this year.

26-Apr-17
A friends two boys got theirs on the 15th. Said they weren't coming to calls very well, but they managed to get them. He also said they were filling the reservoir. I figured they might after seeing all the work they did on the outlet last fall.

26-Apr-17
That's interesting that they are filling it. I was out there January 10th and saw no activity. Was there a lawsuit won back in Colorado's favor to allow that to happen?

26-Apr-17
Thanks, I appreciate! I will try my best to make it out there either Saturday or Monday. Looks like bad weather this coming week end. Just got camper ready today and sighted in shotgun yesterday. One shot at 30 yards and all is well, Ten plus shot in kill zone of paper turkey. A little luck and turkeys are in trouble. Any further info would be appreciated. Ray

27-Apr-17
I don't know the background on filling the res. but my friends daughter said she saw an article on it. I tried a google search & didn't find anything. I just figured with all the work around the outlet last fall, they were up to something. Here is hoping they fill it up.

28-Apr-17
Any gobbling info?? Thanks Ray

28-Apr-17
Last weekend they were gobbling on the roost and right before and after leaving. Heard no gobbling during the day. They weren't responding to calls and were very spooky. Blinds and decoys spooked them too. There's probably 25% of the birds that used to be there about 7-10 years ago. The ones that are left are super spooky. They see a vehicle and take off running or fly away. Our only chances were as far from the roads as possible. Sad compared to what it used to be.

Good luck!

30-Apr-17
It seems like the CPW has upped tags in many of the units out east. If you add up the number of tags and seasons (including youth and private land only) there are a heck of a lot more tags issued in recent years. I'm sure some of this is in response to farmer's crop damage claims. Probably not in favor of turkeys or turkey hunters! There seems to be a common scenario in the posts above that the gobblers are spooky and nonresponsive to calls. I have a feeling a lot of this in response to higher tag allotments and over several years...fewer turkeys.

To back up what I'm saying there were 90 tags issued in 2010 and 140 issued this year in 103. The total tags issued (youth, private, unit wide) in unit 96 is an eye opener. Only 110 total tags in 2010 and 475 tags in 2017. Youth tags include several other units but 475 tags a year is a heck of a lot of turkeys and turkey pressure! Harvest in the past has been 60 to 80% so that's a heck of a lot of turkey kills...which doesn't include fall tags and harvest!

With more tags it's obviously easier drawing turkey tags but from what people are describing above, the quality of hunt seems to be deteriorating. I thought I would bring this to everyone's attention because I'm a bit concerned! Maybe there is a compromise somewhere or turkeys and turkey hunting out east ....especially on public land will slowly deteriorate?

• Sitka Gear