Will 26-Apr-17
jdrdeerslayer 27-Apr-17
Murphy31 27-Apr-17
Will 27-Apr-17
Murphy31 27-Apr-17
30FeetUp 28-Apr-17
GED 29-Apr-17
26-Apr-17
Any striper fishers here? Can you recommend a good intro surfcast setup? Looking for your recommendations on rod weight, length, brand, where to buy, etc. If anyone has a used setup for sale near Boston, send me a message.

26-Apr-17
I meant to say that I plan to toss bait off the rocks on the north shore -- not going to be hucking lures across the cape cod channel. I was figuring 8-9 foot rod, 15-17 lb test...?

26-Apr-17
I am very happy with my setup. I wanted one that would do well with both lures and bait, and the good folks at Surfland in Newburyport hit the nail on the head and stuck well to my budget. They set me up with a 9.5' Tsuami Airwave Rod and a Penn spinning reel for about $200 total. Rigged it with braided line - for lure fishing I use a 3'-4' leader of 50 lb test mono with a speed clip on the end for easily swapping out lures, and for bait fishing I again use a similar leader with a sliding sinker and circle hooks. I would recommend you go to Surfland - they will take care of you (and your budget) and you will walk out ready to fish.

26-Apr-17
If you're primarily chucking bait I'd probably go with something a little bigger than what you're thinking. Maybe 9-10 foot rod with a little heavier action for the times you need to toss >3-4 oz to keep the current from dragging it. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a mid-level Penn or Shimano reel, and I definitely agree with spooling up the reel with braid. I spooled my Penn Slammer with 30lb Suffix about 7-8 years ago and haven't changed it yet. Absolutely zero memory and still strong as ever. Might be a little tough on the finger if you're tossing some weight, but worth it I think.

Might be a little more expensive than Dicks or someplace like that but Surfland can definitely hook you up if you tell them what you're looking to do.

26-Apr-17
Ditto the others - hit up Surfland. The expertise is worth whatever price you have to pay beyond a box store. Not only will they set you up well, they will give you some good spots to try out as well.

I'd agree with the 9-10 foot thoughts, and heavier line than you are thinking. Considering a flourocarbon leader may be good too... it's more abrasion resistant than mono versions which can be nice around rocks. That all said, again, go to Surfland and talk to them, it will be worth it.

27-Apr-17
Yep surfland or crossroads bait and tackle in salisbury... they will get you set up. You got about 2 -3 weeks before it starts heating up. I'm a boat guy I having surf fished in a while

27-Apr-17
I striper fish alot during the spring, but only in the Ct river and with lures. I've had the same 9ft ugly stik for more than 15 years now. I know there is most likely better rods out there, but for the price and abuse they can take. I most likely would never buy another brand. As for line. I'd go with 30-40lb braid. With a 40lb mono or fluro leader. As for a reel. Shimanos are pretty hard to beat, but last year I bought a penn fierce 2 and I love it. Not to mention you can get one for under 100. They also have the fierce 2 with a bait runner which are good for throwing chunck and what not.

27-Apr-17
Cant believe no one tossed out to start with the best and buy a Van Staal VSB X to pair up with a 10 foot Lamiglass rod :)

I'm kidding OP - no need for that.

Murphy, i've never owned and US, but every fisherman I know that has one, has owned it for ever, and beat the tar out of it. They definitely are a really durable, and dependable piece of equipment - well worth whatever they cost now.

27-Apr-17
Will, you can buy all but one of their rods for under 100 bucks. I've seen much more expensive rods break. Even converted some people. They are one tough rod. I think a big issue they had was they weren't very nice looking, but with their new elite rods. They've taken care of that. Every rod I own with the execption of one are all ugly stiks. The one that isn't was bought when I was stationed in Japan, and thas just because they didnt have any ugly stiks. If you can't tell I love those damn rods.

28-Apr-17
Awesome notes, thank you all. I'm excited to get up to Surfland, and hit the waters in May.

29-Apr-17
I am a believer in buying the best tool for the job. Top quality gear retains its value and will perform for the long haul. A Van Staal will retain its value much better than your bow.

I once traded a Van Staal for a Browning over under SG. Although I don't have a Van staal now, I do have 6 ZeeBaaS (which are better in my opinion)

Back to surfcasting (my first love). I use 10' rods 99% of the time. I find it best for loading the rod. A rod is a lever and you build the energy to cast by loading the rod. I find 10' Lamiglas XRA the best:

(XRA1205 1-5oz) (XRA1205-2 1-4oz) (XRA1203 1-3oz)

A fishing rod is like a golf club, built to do one thing very well.

Some folks (I see young guys) buying imported fast action rods. Although fast action may cast further, they are not built to fish a fish as well as a moderate (parabolic) fishing rod. Often, even at the canal, the bigger fish are closer than you think.

If I was buying a new rod for North Shore I would buy (build) a Lamiglas XRA based on lure rating. If I didn't have the $ for a ZeeBaaS I would go for the new PENN Slammer 3.

I have owned the best from shimano and Diawa, but both companies discontinue support and service even on their $1,000^ reels.

• Sitka Gear