Contributors to this thread:
jordanathome 26-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 26-Apr-17
wkochevar 26-Apr-17
oldgoat 26-Apr-17
jordanathome 27-Apr-17
jordanathome 27-Apr-17
26-Apr-17
So having only hunted these mountain turkeys once last year.......what is the expectation for how they will react to mid teen temps and upwards of 5-10" of snow?

I was hoping to go Sunday but the forecast is not encouraging. High of 39F following a low of 17F.

I would imagine this would shut down the turkey activity substantially if not push them back down lower in elevation.

Thoughts and experience? We never faced this kinda winter snapback during turkey season in Missouri....for sure.

26-Apr-17
I believe they will hunker down and not be very active at all during snow and wind. When active after the snow, I would expect they will be on the sunny side of the hill where they can forage as the snow melts off..

26-Apr-17
More like hunkered up (in the trees)..:-) One year in NM it started snowing about 8pm as we arrive at our hunting area and continued all night long. Woke up to about 8" of fresh wet snow and sun shine....we trekked all over the mountains that morning and couldn't cut so much as cut a track and never heard a bird. We came back mid afternoon after a lunch break after the snow had melted off quite a bit and the birds were everywhere. They must have all gathered up in a few roost locations, zipped their lips and finally came down sometime after noon. Boy were they fired up then though!!

26-Apr-17
Yeah, weather is really screwing stuff up, i work 4on and 4off and the crappy weather is perfectly synched with my days off!

27-Apr-17
All the turkeys are in W**d. LOL. Actually that is just the closest reference I found in terms of elevation with a forecast which is helpful to my planning. I suppose the same could be said for G****n G**e SP, G***s Rez, A*******k, E****a, N*d, R*****d.... damn....gave up all my secret spots. LOL (These posts have been changed to protect the identity of the innocent)

27-Apr-17
Sorry.....had to make a little fun of myself there....

• Sitka Gear