Will 28-Apr-17
BruceP 28-Apr-17
Jebediah 28-Apr-17
spike78 29-Apr-17
Will 01-May-17
hickstick 01-May-17
27-Apr-17
Today was awesome.

Had birds going nuts on the roost, but they worked away after fly down. Bummer... I let it rest for 30', then cackled, they gobbled off a ways, and then started working back... But, I'd packed my stuff, so dekes were in the bag.

Its an open spot, they come fast now, not time to put dekes up, and at 50~ yds they just stall, and circle. Oh well.

I cross the street and get on another bird, but bumped him as I set up, didnt understand how close he was. But, while there, a Moose walked by - always fun to watch them. As big as they are, they look even bigger when you are sitting on your butt!

I come home, do a little work, and my wife says she'd like to go, it's been years since she's been out due to kids, so we go. First spot, gobble right away. But it's a pretty new area to us, and our set up was not right. i get the bird in, and despite him being in range for about 5', every time he got into a shootable spot, he was only there for a few seconds, and I just couldnt get a good aim on him.

FUN, but man, I'm starting to feel like the "Anti-Moons" HA HA HA!

27-Apr-17
I hear ya! Sometimes we can't catch a break.. esp the off the roost hunts. That's all I've had time for thus far this year... just a matter of time before one slips up and I am in the right place at the right time

27-Apr-17
I was on birds almost every day last year, and I didn't get one until the last week! You are on them - it will happen!

27-Apr-17
That's right.. plenty of season left... It will happen.

27-Apr-17
Hahah! Too funny. Sounds like you're definitely in the birds though! Keep at it and you'll get one. Awesome to see the moose too. I've seen plenty up at the camp in NH, but never in mass.

Anyone ever use the cut-out tom decoy thing that you crawl behind? Funny success story with it...

Opening day I was all set up, birds gobbling and making their way to me. Had about 25 deer right around me. They saw/smelt me and all 25 blew their heads off and went crashing through the woods. This spooked the turkeys and they started heading off in a different direction. About 5 mins later I hear something coming through the woods. Another hunter. I whistle to him to get his attention. Apparently this kid has permission on the same property I do. He has one of those cut out tom things (I was set up with a few hen decoys). He goes "wana use this thing? I doubled up with my buddy last year". He goes "trust me, they"ll see this and come running". I have a lot of doubt at first, but agree to crawl behind with him. We come around the corner, and sure as shit, four jakes see the cut out and come RUNNING to ten feet. "Ill take the one on the far left you take far right!" Boom Boom! Haha crazy story that Ill probably tell for years. He turns out to be a really good kid that I will definitely hunt with in the future.

27-Apr-17
Moons - I was wishing I had one when I was with my wife, would have worked perfect... That said, I mostly hunt public land, or non posted private land in open hunting towns... So... I'd be to scared some crazy person would think I was the biggest turkey they ever saw (because you know, lots of turkeys wear ASAT leafy suits :)) and blast away!

That hunt sounds AWESOME though!

28-Apr-17
moons, what is this cutout you are talking about?

28-Apr-17
It's literally a piece of cardboard, cut out and painted to look exactly like a strutted Tom. It has a handle on the back side so you can hold it up and crawl on your hands and knees right to them.

28-Apr-17
My name is Will. Today, for the second time in my life, I missed a turkey, with a shotgun, inside 20yards, with a red dot scope. I need to get this off my shoulders, to remove the "pain and anguish" ;). I know we need to acknowledge our "problems" before we can fix them. So while I'd like to blame the bird for a last minute loop to my left, requiring me to shoot extremely across my body, and a little bit of small bushy stuff... The reality, is that I didnt settle the dot, and tugged v squeezed the shot.. With tight patterns, I just flat missed and enjoyed watching him fly, roughly across the valley, over the next hill into the quabbin. Spike, he may be landing near you shortly.

There. I feel better. Sorta.

On a positive, that's 3 out of 4 hunts with near, or actual shot ops, so that's good.

28-Apr-17
Will, that's a very selfless thing you did there, sharing that with everyone. Not only does it make you feel better but it could bring comfort to someone else as well. The next time someone who saw this misses up close they can find relief in knowing that you did it twice ;-)

I had my most exciting turkey morning ever this morning, right up until I broke out the gobble call. We had birds going off all around us in about 3 different directions. Many, many birds within a couple hundred yards. They weren't coming in with your typical yelps, clucks, purrs, so I busted out the gobble call and let her rip. Got an immediate response and then pretty much radio silence after that till we finally decided to call it quits.

BTW, we were on private land and the only ones there. I probably wouldn't use the gobble call on public land unless I wanted to get shot, which I don't. Actually, after this mornings experience I may not use it again at all, unless I'm trying to send the birds to someone in the other direction...

28-Apr-17
Haha happens to everyone!

28-Apr-17

UrbanHunter's embedded Photo
UrbanHunter's embedded Photo
I never missed a turkey in my life.... ;)

28-Apr-17
Good for you Urban... (I see what you have done there :))

I've missed 2 now. I should try bowhunting them again, seems easier to explain a miss with a bow :)

28-Apr-17
I can honestly say I've never missed a turkey. Can't miss something you've never actually shot at yet. However, if it's considered a miss when your calling sends them in the other direction then I've missed untold numbers...

28-Apr-17
Not a turkey guy but I have been a out a few times over the years and yes, about 20 years ago I missed a slam-dunk less than 20 yards, directly in front of me. Burned into my memory forever.

29-Apr-17
Went out first time this year today and had the usual one Tom gobble and get Henned up on the fly down. I went four years in a row getting a turkey and two in one season but the last two seasons all henned up with none coming in. I'm noticing less toms every year in all my spots. I used to hear two to three and now just one here and there. They seem to be going the way of the deer in the western end.

01-May-17
Funky spike... Wonder what's going on. In my Z9, 5, 8 and 6 spots there have been more turkey's than I can remember gobbling this year...

01-May-17
I can't get out during the week ever since my wife took a new job in Boston....which gives me the job of getting my daughter off to school. so Saturday would have been my opening day. that is if I could have gotten my behind out of bed. ended up sleeping in. drove up to NH to kayak and relax.

Yesterday, pulling out to head home, 2 nice toms strutting in the neighbors front yard with 7 or 8 hens. season opened today up there I believe....maybe I'll get out this saturday...I hope.

• Sitka Gear