Question about mechanics
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
Jebediah 28-Apr-17
Will 28-Apr-17
Jebediah 28-Apr-17
pondboy 28-Apr-17
28-Apr-17
Recently I got my youngest a Mission Craze II, and it is fantastic. He is drilling it, still years to go before he can hunt. The bow itself is tiny, and apparently you can crank it up to 70. And it's really quiet. My question is: what is the advantage of bigger/longer bows which seem to be more common? I looked it up and they seem to be somewhat faster--is that the reason? Obviously I'm not what you'd call a bow expert. It just seems to me carrying this little bow in the woods would be great. Now I want one for myself...but the wallet's a little light.

28-Apr-17
Jeb

SawnInMa would likely answer this way better than I could... My suspicion is that part of the quietness is the low draw weight/length limiting the bow's energy. With a draw that would fit you, and higher weight, perhaps it would be louder.

There are some pretty little bows that have been out over the years. I saw one in an add or youtube vid in the past year that literally was 20" or less as I recall. It looked like 2 limbs and a handle - no "riser" so to speak. Crazy.

That all is to say, I dont really know for sure. My gut says super short bows would feel less stable, and perhaps also limit the energy the limbs and cam's are capable of generating?

28-Apr-17
I thought that too after I wrote it. Probably so quiet because it's down at like 20 pounds.

28-Apr-17
I had craze for about 4 years and finally switched to a diamond deploy sb, which is a longer bow. I can definitely tell that with the same draw length and poundage the deploy is much faster and more stable compared to the craze. However, for smaller framed shooters the craze is perfect in my mind

• Sitka Gear